Type 1'stars R Us

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I have started a new thread under the pumps forum asking people how many pumps are available in their area.
I find it really BAD that it should be a Postcode Lottery. Everyone should have the same choice. Also, if a pump has been approved for the use in the UK, why shouldn't you be allowed to choose it?

can't find the N Somerset entry, can you tell me the thread name?
Thanks

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the caddy
1. Is there anywhere online that shows the list of Insulin Pumps that are approved in the UK

Input should have a list of available pumps - https://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/ - which is being phased out as they have become part of JDRF which has this page:

https://jdrf.org.uk/information-support/treatments-technologies/

good luck.

Edit to add: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yccvXMf6WBLoC-sEqM5v3YfA4AVrRlQme_i73bxbo-4/edit#gid=0 is probably the most informative doc you'll find.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I over-munch for hypos (wretched Oreos) then have to correct. Seems so daft, and I've done it for years. The only time I don't is if I go low at work when I'm very good and just take two glucotabs and am fine. You'd think I'd take that really good habit home with me but I think the lure of the Oreos is too great... maybe I should find something for hypos that is revolting?

Reactions: SueJB

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I over-munch for hypos (wretched Oreos) then have to correct. Seems so daft, and I've done it for years. The only time I don't is if I go low at work when I'm very good and just take two glucotabs and am fine. You'd think I'd take that really good habit home with me but I think the lure of the Oreos is too great... maybe I should find something for hypos that is revolting?
Hi @WuTwo it was fear that made me over drink/eat. I know I've not had diabetes long and I know that age isn't on my side but it just seems like a load of guess work. High BGs can lead to all sorts of horrid complications so I'm informed and hypos can as well. Stuffed!!
BG rose to 20.4 but has now slowly slid back to near normality 5s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, dental appointment went well, only paid just under £23.00, I know I have bone loss, but other than that all was good.

I gave my Libre back this afternoon, all the nurses were busy and a lady was waiting, so I just handed it over, I felt so sad because I wanted to continue using it all the time, so roll on June 27th :happy: and crossing my finger's as nothing is set in stone, well only statue's but they don't count !!
Hope you're all well and enjoying the day.............tomorrow's Friday...........with another bank holiday :happy::joyful:

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69 and SueJB

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all!
I've just come out of my appointment with the DSN. Insulin has been changed from lantus to levemir, and I may be on track to getting a libre! Not something I thought would happen for a few months!
Now celebrating with some cake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, dental appointment went well, only paid just under £23.00, I know I have bone loss, but other than that all was good.

I gave my Libre this afternoon, all the nurses were busy and a lady was waiting, so I just handed it over, I felt so sad because I wanted to continue using it all the time, so roll on June 27th :happy: and crossing my finger's as nothing is set in stone, well only statue's but they don't count !!
Hope you're all well and enjoying the day.............tomorrow's Friday...........with another bank holiday :happy::joyful:
There are a couple on here that would agree with that sentiment BUT problem is that if you get to a point where someone is trying their best to get something inside you and your are acting like a spoilt 5 year old, it can become very difficult for that person to get you eat something that is "revolting", if on the other hand something is more pleasant then the person helping will be better able to assist.

You should chat to Mrs Knikki as I'm sure she has many a tale to tell about such "wild night time adventures of a hypo Knikki" :p:):happy:

I once stamped my feet at my daughter when having a hypo, but boy, was she in charge :wideyed: and I did as I was told :nailbiting: plus crying and weeping, hugging her and telling her how much I love her
:bigtears: I love you SO much and kissing her too :oops:

Reactions: SueJB and hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky in that I don't get aggressive when I'm hypo, at my absolute worst I'm just hopelessly confused. I take jelly babies for hypos and whilst I found that early on (30 however many years in now) I really found it hard not to over-correct, these days I know how many it takes to bring me back up from whatever level I start at, assuming I'm not in the middle of a seriously downward trend. So I take the required amount, sit on my hands for 15 minutes then test again. If it's not where it should be, repeat the process. I actually dislike jelly babies but they're marginally better than any kind of glucose tabs which I really can't stand, so I'm never tempted to overdo it with them. I was told years ago by a nutritionist that jelly babies were one of the very fastest ways to get glucose into your system and for me, that's true.

@helensaramay your post about the complexities of remembering everything to do with a pump is one of the reasons why I a) admire all you pumpers and b) don't want one. I admire all you pumpers for the effort you put in to making it work for you; I have enough trouble remembering everything on MDI!

Reactions: Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
some pics from my hospital walk today :- I managed to call the horse over, bless it <3
DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0279.JPG
DSC_0289.JPG
This was alittle detour and whilst I was enjoying my walk, I came across a squirrel at the bottom of a tree, went to take a photo and a bird pooped on my new phone and down my trouser leg:oops: and that's before I went to the hospital diabetes clinic :rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm lucky in that I don't get aggressive when I'm hypo, at my absolute worst I'm just hopelessly confused. I take jelly babies for hypos and whilst I found that early on (30 however many years in now) I really found it hard not to over-correct, these days I know how many it takes to bring me back up from whatever level I start at, assuming I'm not in the middle of a seriously downward trend. So I take the required amount, sit on my hands for 15 minutes then test again. If it's not where it should be, repeat the process. I actually dislike jelly babies but they're marginally better than any kind of glucose tabs which I really can't stand, so I'm never tempted to overdo it with them. I was told years ago by a nutritionist that jelly babies were one of the very fastest ways to get glucose into your system and for me, that's true.

@helensaramay your post about the complexities of remembering everything to do with a pump is one of the reasons why I a) admire all you pumpers and b) don't want one. I admire all you pumpers for the effort you put in to making it work for you; I have enough trouble remembering everything on MDI!

I too am a non pumper, tbh I am in awe of those that do pump and grind, maybe one day I will, but..........

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Takes up position of sitting crossed leg (haha) stroking long beard in wise know it all fashion.

@SueJB and @WuTwo and anyone who wants to sit in the circle of enlightenment :)

Hypo's are not bad, yes waking up sweating and feeling bad is not good, BUT the thing to do is not panic, that is the most important thing because your system will dump glucose into your body and bring you back up, it will take time but if you eat the content of the fridge then you have a double whammy of the dump and fridge.
While Oreos are a delicious hypo treatment I feel they maybe little slow to get into the system (says me who eats Jaffa Cakes for the same reason), something smaller with a bit more of a hit would work better like Jelly Babies or their equivalent would work better and quicker.

That way you hopefully will not bounce up to a feeling the opposite way because your in double figures. :)

Now I really don't care what people say and how well controlled they think they are all T1's will get hit by hypo's or hyper's at some point in there careers, it is unfortunately just one of the many "joys" of this wonderful condition that we share.

And now relax, stand up touch your toes (I can't as everything clicks like mad and my feet are too far away) crack open the wine and someone bring cake :)
@Knikki you're a karma charmer but it is very difficult to resist the contents of the fridge, cupboards and pantry isn't it when you believe you're going to die. Yep, pure irrational panic mode. I've touched my toes, eaten some seaweed and opened the wine. 12 hours later it seems silly.

Reactions: porl69 and therower

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
There are a couple on here that would agree with that sentiment BUT problem is that if you get to a point where someone is trying their best to get something inside you and your are acting like a spoilt 5 year old, it can become very difficult for that person to get you eat something that is "revolting", if on the other hand something is more pleasant then the person helping will be better able to assist.

You should chat to Mrs Knikki as I'm sure she has many a tale to tell about such "wild night time adventures of a hypo Knikki" :p:):happy:
I was on my own and no Mr B to help. I've now ordered loads of glucotabs. I hope they'll strike a balance and not let me scoff too many but not make me feel sick. I still prefer fruit pastilles but I like them too much and had run out.

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Hi @WuTwo it was fear that made me over drink/eat. I know I've not had diabetes long and I know that age isn't on my side but it just seems like a load of guess work. High BGs can lead to all sorts of horrid complications so I'm informed and hypos can as well. Stuffed!!
BG rose to 20.4 but has now slowly slid back to near normality 5s

It's greed with me :oops: I love Oreos and only ever have them if I have a hypo (or a sneak thief attack) and since I don't have that many hypos I sort of over compensate when I do. Like "Wahey, here's my chance ......". I don't much like glucotabs - far too sweet - so I don't willingly have them.

I'm MDI but I've got four ratios running through the day which means that I do have a pretty tight level of control. I also bought a half unit pen for my Humalog because my local surgery said they'd only prescribe a full unit pen. I wanted better control. I'm not exactly obsessive but pretty near. It helps, I think.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Afternoon all!
I've just come out of my appointment with the DSN. Insulin has been changed from lantus to levemir, and I may be on track to getting a libre! Not something I thought would happen for a few months!
Now celebrating with some cake

I will admit I like the levemir. I ended up splitting the dose and it suits me fine. Every now and then I do a basal check - referring to Using Insulin for the instructions - and it works very well at keeping me level overnight.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until recently I have always over compensated for hypos. Even now in certain circumstances I will over compensate. If I am out and about and I have a low coming on, anything around BG of 4 I will start drinking cola and maybe some sweets. I tend to be out walking in far flung places with few people about. If I am at home I am a lot calmer and will just have a cuppa and a biccie.

For overnight hypos now I tend just to have around 6 jelly beans and go back to sleep.

@Jazz97 hopefully you will find Levemir a better insulin. I assume that you will be on a split dose, one before bedtime the other as you wake up?

As for Oreos, YEEEEEEEEEEUUUCH horrible biscuits:yuck::yuck::yuck:

Reactions: SueJB and porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Knikki - I know how many carbs it takes to make me go up one mmol, so in theory working out how many I should eat isn't hard but I like Oreos. I'd switch to glucotabs in the house but I like the Oreos and I hardly ever get them... moan, whinge. Most sweets aren't vegan and the ones that are they usually put that gross not-real-sugar in that makes you run to the loo. I feel like yelling that being vegan doesn't mean I want to eat the no sugar option!!

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@WuTwo That's good to hear! I'm starting out on one dose in the morning, and seeing how it goes from there. My problem is at the moment I've been dropping a lot after three hours of taking novorapid and also dropping overnight. So hopefully that will stop! I cant deal with the hypo symptoms. And as other have been saying, once I start eating, I cant stop!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had pizza for lunch at work today - new regime! Pay day pizza (except pay day was a few days ago, we had to wait for a few team members to come back from training\project work), was 6.8 before. 8.9 now - pretty good going for guessing the carbs and timing of bolus for a lunch time carb feast of unquantifiable pizza! :)

Reactions: porl69 and therower