Skin, Hair & Nails

M

Member496333

Has anyone else noticed any tangible changes to their skin, hair and nails since embarking on ketogenic eating?

My hair is definitely thicker and stronger. My toe and finger nails are glowing. Smooth and clear with bright white tips and perfect cuticles. My toes especially look like those of a teenage boy. Coupled with my skin’s ability to go almost instantly bronze the moment the clouds disperse, and I’m growing more and more convinced that, for me anyway, clean ketogenic food is turning me into a comparative super hero.

I’d love to see the new me standing next to the old, grey, haggard and morose version of two years previous. Quite an astonishing turnaround. Every time I meet people now that I haven’t seen for a while, they’re aghast at my apparent glowing health. I’m still an ugly ******* but at least I no longer look I might not wake up tomorrow :woot:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not successfully in ketosis enough yet, but I notice when fasting longer than 24 hours (so likely spending some time in ketosis) I'm calm, confident and happy. Very level moods and a feeling, if not yet appearance, of much better health.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m only in mild ketosis, tested only this morning, and yes my skin is clearer, I don’t know about the bronzing as I never deliberately try to get a tan. My hair is less greasy and thicker, it’s not so grey anymore but that’s not down to diet ;) My finger and toe nails grow annoyingly quickly these days, but at least with a slimmer waist line I can actually reach my feet to cut them! :joyful:

Edit for typo.

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My toes especially look like those of a teenage boy.

I haven't looked at a teenaged boys feet recently so cannot possibly comment.

My hair is thicker than it was, and my nails do seem to grow quicker than before, but I haven't timed it.

As for skin, I am a Ginge with fair skin who has always had to "fear" the sun, but I haven't been even remotely sun burned in the last few years, despite spending more time abroad and more time in the sun, and occasionally I even get a bit of colour.

Reactions: PamJHS and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I can't say that there has been an improvement but my hair continues to recover after the loss caused by the sudden and dramatic change in diet. It is less coarse (blummin' stuff is so grey!) so is much easier to manage.
Can't see any difference in skin or nails, lucky in that they've always been a redeeming feature.

Have to agree with @jpscloud though, my anxiety levels are way down and mood is much improved. Not saying that I am a picture of calm serenity but it could be on the horizon.

Reactions: jpscloud

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too lost an enormous frightening amount of hair when diet changed dramatically. Thankfully it’s coming back now but the new growth isn’t long enough yet to see any changes in texture etc. Skin nails etc all seem the same. My family report I’m happier. I’m less tired and the weight loss obviously makes me look and feel better.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My hair and nails suffered when I was on chemo 6 years ago. My hair disappeared completely, from everywhere. My head hair grew back of course, but my finger nails are brittle still, although finger nails, toe nails and hair all grow very quickly. Then the finger nails split. Before chemo they were my redeeming feature, too.

M

Member496333

Just to add, for any remaining interested parties, that I am now heavier than when I was diagnosed, so my apparent outward healthy appearance is not related to dropping a few kilos.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My hair is much thicker than when first diagnosed and grows quicker. I do go brown (rather than red) in the sun but I think that might be the Vit D I'm taking. But my nails are a complete mess.