1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Skin, Hair & Nails

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Jim Lahey, May 3, 2019.

1. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed any tangible changes to their skin, hair and nails since embarking on ketogenic eating?

My hair is definitely thicker and stronger. My toe and finger nails are glowing. Smooth and clear with bright white tips and perfect cuticles. My toes especially look like those of a teenage boy. Coupled with my skin’s ability to go almost instantly bronze the moment the clouds disperse, and I’m growing more and more convinced that, for me anyway, clean ketogenic food is turning me into a comparative super hero.

I’d love to see the new me standing next to the old, grey, haggard and morose version of two years previous. Quite an astonishing turnaround. Every time I meet people now that I haven’t seen for a while, they’re aghast at my apparent glowing health. I’m still an ugly ******* but at least I no longer look I might not wake up tomorrow :woot:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm not successfully in ketosis enough yet, but I notice when fasting longer than 24 hours (so likely spending some time in ketosis) I'm calm, confident and happy. Very level moods and a feeling, if not yet appearance, of much better health.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’m only in mild ketosis, tested only this morning, and yes my skin is clearer, I don’t know about the bronzing as I never deliberately try to get a tan. My hair is less greasy and thicker, it’s not so grey anymore but that’s not down to diet ;) My finger and toe nails grow annoyingly quickly these days, but at least with a slimmer waist line I can actually reach my feet to cut them! :joyful:

Edit for typo.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #3 Rachox, May 3, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  4. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at a teenaged boys feet recently so cannot possibly comment.

My hair is thicker than it was, and my nails do seem to grow quicker than before, but I haven't timed it.

As for skin, I am a Ginge with fair skin who has always had to "fear" the sun, but I haven't been even remotely sun burned in the last few years, despite spending more time abroad and more time in the sun, and occasionally I even get a bit of colour.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I can't say that there has been an improvement but my hair continues to recover after the loss caused by the sudden and dramatic change in diet. It is less coarse (blummin' stuff is so grey!) so is much easier to manage.
    Can't see any difference in skin or nails, lucky in that they've always been a redeeming feature.

Have to agree with @jpscloud though, my anxiety levels are way down and mood is much improved. Not saying that I am a picture of calm serenity but it could be on the horizon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I too lost an enormous frightening amount of hair when diet changed dramatically. Thankfully it’s coming back now but the new growth isn’t long enough yet to see any changes in texture etc. Skin nails etc all seem the same. My family report I’m happier. I’m less tired and the weight loss obviously makes me look and feel better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

My hair and nails suffered when I was on chemo 6 years ago. My hair disappeared completely, from everywhere. My head hair grew back of course, but my finger nails are brittle still, although finger nails, toe nails and hair all grow very quickly. Then the finger nails split. Before chemo they were my redeeming feature, too.

• Hug Hug x 4
  8. Jim Lahey

Just to add, for any remaining interested parties, that I am now heavier than when I was diagnosed, so my apparent outward healthy appearance is not related to dropping a few kilos.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

too much radiation in your diet? lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jim Lahey

Now I come to think of it, I did pick up and handle one of those beyond burgers the other day in the supermarket :shifty:

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

My hair is much thicker than when first diagnosed and grows quicker. I do go brown (rather than red) in the sun but I think that might be the Vit D I'm taking. But my nails are a complete mess.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook