Meaty May - for those with carnivorous tendencies

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst the prospect of reducing availability of meat may, or may not be worrying to members, meat is hardly likely to go into short supply this month.

Please keep this thread on topic, which is a thread for those following a carnivore diet, during May 2019 to post relating to their meals and experiences during the month.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chook and Jaylee

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria all my brown butter is unintentional, and it's always better that way!

Reactions: Brunneria

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why would removing subsidies from meat and dairy farmers cause them to go bust? I though there were plenty of omnivores in parliament who may object and a definite contingent who are anti-'nanny statism'?
Hopefully somebody might try to challenge the vegan orthodoxy that all meat and dairy production is environmentally unsound AND unhealthy whereas planting vast acreage of soy, corn, wheat and rapeseed is somehow good for our soil health? Not to mention the release of carbon caused by said agricultural production that will be required to meet our protein needs if we can't eat cows anymore (we will also have to poison plenty of slugs, worms and insects but they do not seem to enjoy the same moral status as creatures with faces/mothers).
slugs and insects are not sentient, so are in effect plant life suitable for vegans to munch on.
I wish I had your faith in Parliament being able to think sensibly, or do due dilligence research, but ufortunately the money is with Bill Gates etc who are funding this move to a vegan WOE as defined by Eat Lancet. and endosed by the UN and WHO. The science behind this thinking has been corrupted to blame animals for all the woes, whereas the elephant in the room is construction industry that leads CO2 emissions far more than transport, or farming, or even energy generation. Even the WHO acknowledged that their database has been corrupted and have now withdrawn their approval for the Eat Lancet consortium.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Data as promised.

Weight - 61.6 kg (2kg above my self imposed upper limit)
No body fat percentages - so long since they were last measured at the gym it wouldn’t be a meaningful comparison.
FBG - 4.6
Ketones 1.2

Already seeing marked improvement in BG throughout the day. Will post weekly data updates on Fridays.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning data dawn of day 3..
Weight 204 pounds (down 4 pounds already) spooky
FBG 5.0 on the Tee2
Measured ketones yesterday pm at 1.1 ... probably more down to not having eaten anything.
Body fat 27.3% the usual winging around
VF 12
BMI 27.7
Fish friday so need to think about how to get some fat in.. have a great day all!

Reactions: Chook
M

Member496333

Fish friday so need to think about how to get some fat in.. have a great day all!

Not that you need any advice from me, and I realise I’m derailing momentarily, but why not just glug back a glass of double cream? Heaps of energy. Easily take in a thousand calories in a glass. There’s no quicker or easier way to take in fuel :D

Having said that, I recall that perhaps you have a slightly higher glucose response to dairy than myself.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not that you need any advice from me, and I realise I’m derailing momentarily, but why not just glug back a glass of double cream? Heaps of energy. Easily take in a thousand calories in a glass. There’s no quicker or easier way to take in fuel :D

Having said that, I recall that perhaps you have a slightly higher glucose response to dairy than myself.
I limit my cream a bit but you're right just put more in the coffee! and a nice knob of butter on my tuna steak tonight of course!

Last edited:
Reactions: Member496333

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bagged myself some reduced sirloin steak and lamb fillet today in Tescos and I’ve not eaten it yet! I’ve amazed myself.

Also picked up some lambs liver. I love liver but can’t eat it plain, I’ll break my meat only rule and add a bit of a cream and butter sauce.

Weigh in day is tomorrow, BG’s remain in the fours fasting, pre and post food and I’ve had keto breath for well over a week.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Ended up with a bit of a fry up tonight, bacon, eggs, some sliced pork fried up as well and then took down a can of tuna with some butter melted in. My last meal before I head up north to Newcastle for the weekend and already finding out where I can eat but as it turns out I have a broiler and mini-fridge in my hotel room.

Looks like meat is back on the menu, boys!
I can recommend the Miller and Carter in the City centre, can't remember the street but it is on a corner.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need some help.

I ate that sirloin, complete with the fat and it was gorgeous. My BS is 4.8 at two hours but now I’m craving, badly. For the past week I’ve been having a few slices of bacon, cold ham, bit of chicken every day, nothing much really but this was the first bit of beef and now I’m having that awful conversation with myself about how I can justify eating peanuts or making myself some low carb sweet treat and that’s always a slippery slope.

I’m not thirsty, I’ve got a long cold drink to hand and I’ll have another coffee later.
So although my BS is very normal do you think it was just too much protein? Writing this down is helping, I have cheese in the fridge and I’ll have a bit if I can’t get over this.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need some help.

I ate that sirloin, complete with the fat and it was gorgeous. My BS is 4.8 at two hours but now I’m craving, badly. For the past week I’ve been having a few slices of bacon, cold ham, bit of chicken every day, nothing much really but this was the first bit of beef and now I’m having that awful conversation with myself about how I can justify eating peanuts or making myself some low carb sweet treat and that’s always a slippery slope.

I’m not thirsty, I’ve got a long cold drink to hand and I’ll have another coffee later.
So although my BS is very normal do you think it was just too much protein? Writing this down is helping, I have cheese in the fridge and I’ll have a bit if I can’t get over this.

Interesting one. I’ve been craving after every meal. Had put it down to just having stopped over consumption of nuts/high percentage cocoa chocolate.

Cheese sounds like a good idea if you’re sure it’s not thirst. Wasn’t aware that lots of protein might spark cravings.

Reactions: Caeseji and wiflib

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need some help.

How much protein was it?.. says the guy who just ate 480g of tuna with 240g of ox liver...

Reactions: Caeseji and wiflib

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it were me, it could be 2 things - either simply not enough food, or not enough fat. Either way, i would eat until i felt better, but wouldn’t go for nuts. Probably a creamy drink, or a lump of cheese, with added butter.

I do much better with keto macros of fat and protein. Leaner meat just doesn’t do it for me.

I always find it preferable (obviously just speaking for myself) to eat occasional big satisfying meals and then forget about food for ages, rather than small meals and need to eat regularly.

Having said all that, one of the things that is often discussed on carnivore forums is that the appetite for meat is large during the first few weeks or months. Sometimes so large that there is weight gain for a while.
This is usually explained as ‘healing’ after years of malnutrition, and once that ‘healing’ is accomplished, then usually the next phase is a natural, gradual weight loss and a kind of getting lean.

I’ve no idea where you are in the carnivore process, whether it is all new, or a return to it, but my own appetite rises and falls in unexpected ways. Some days I only want one smallish meal. Another day i will eat 3 proper meals. I just roll with it. I've never experienced the magical carnivore weight loss that other people enjoy, but then that is more about my various hormonal dysfunctions than about carnivory.

Last edited:
Reactions: wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for the support and suggestions

I’ve had a cup of coffee with a biiiig slug of cream and a small handful of walnuts and almonds, I’ll be having an early night too.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning.
5lbs down in a week.
BS still in the fours although I hit a six with those nuts last night. Only a week to go before the conference and all that lovely, tempting food.

How’s everyone else doing?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 pound loss became 3 pound loss probably due to transit issues..
Apart from that doing fine.. not really missing the chocolate or cheese but am having creamier coffees.
Bloods around 5 (range of 5.3-4.0) so far this week.

Reactions: wiflib

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pate for a snack brunch yesterday, beef short ribs in evening. No hunger so small portions.
And - shock news! - forgot to have profiteroles.

First day of spontaneous forgetting of choc in maybe 30 years. ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slow cooked lamb shoulder shank for dinner and bacon eggs and cheese for lunch yesterday. Pork leg today. Attempting OMAD.

BG in 4s and occasional 3s which helps keep me away from the choc and nuts.

@Brunneria how is it possible to forget to eat chocolate :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slow cooked lamb shoulder shank for dinner and bacon eggs and cheese for lunch yesterday. Pork leg today. Attempting OMAD.

BG in 4s and occasional 3s which helps keep me away from the choc and nuts.

@Brunneria how is it possible to forget to eat chocolate :D

I've forgotten for the last couple of years. I also have a small family of Lindt easter bunnies that multiply (OK, increase by 1) every year.

My OH has a load of Terry's chocolate oranges he has forgotten to eat, but the odd Crunchie or snack sized Twix is rarely forgotten.

I'm probably going to do a Meaty Middle of the Week this coming week, whilst my OH is away playing golf. My challenge is I'm still trying to regain the couple of kilos I lost in Asia.