1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Meaty May - for those with carnivorous tendencies

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Goonergal, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That’s all well and good, unless you’re one of those people for which it can be problematic, and then suddenly he is wrong ;)

EDIT: my personal belief is that higher protein consumption is probably absolutely fine and even beneficial for most people, but for those with metabolic dysfunction it may be problematic.

• Like Like x 1
    #101 Jim Lahey, May 6, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Do you mean high glucagon and low insulin ?

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I think as with everything the stage of your journey is also important (which I freely admit I should have included in my previous post) mea culpa.
    However with your levels of HOMA IR which is way better than mine I still find it fascinating that you have problems with protein..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim Lahey

Very possibly but not necessarily. It could be a combination of many factors. Insulin sensitivity is probably the biggest single actor. No matter, it can be denied ‘til the cow’s come home, but nevertheless some people get a measurable glucose response from excess protein.

Anyway I don’t mean to derail. Personally I think a carnivore diet is awesome. I don’t partake, mainly because I like vegetables but also because I believe it would increase my circulating insulin. I was extremely insulin resistant, though, and obviously I happily accept that for others it’s probably just fine & dandy. Jammy gits :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim Lahey

To be honest I haven’t really tried testing the theory again in quite a while. I think my trepidation probably comes from experiencing first hand - in me - that protein requires insulin, and my mission objective is to always minimise insulin irrespective of blood glucose. I believe this is probably why I sometimes have 1:1 glucose/ketone ratio.

6. bulkbiker

Ok well if we ever get to meet I'll stand you a juicy rib eye so we can test. ok?

7. VioletViolet

VioletViolet Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

8. bulkbiker

9. Jim Lahey

Ha. It’s a deal. Honestly I now don’t find the odd indulgence to be an issue at all. For me it was more a cumulative effect. One steak isn’t going to have my feet breaking out in blisters. Based on your pictures though I’ll give it a shot :D

10. bulkbiker

Deal

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jim Lahey

To be fair to Bikman, I’m fairly certain he was a guest in a podcast I recently listened to, and although he’s clearly a high protein advocate, I do remember the caveat of metabolic dysfunction being mentioned, so I don’t think he’s necessarily all-out high protein for everyone.

Anyway...back to pictures of meat. Get cooking!

12. bulkbiker

Not today sorry.. got to eat up the leftovers..!

13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Brunneria, this is where the initial rub comes from. I know you like belly strips, so you may find this rather good in itself.

Not being a slaves to a recipe, we pressure cooked the strips, instead of boiling, then did the drying phase in the dehydrator, then finally sprayed the pieces with oil and popped them into the airfryer.

Nom, nom, crunch, crunch. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I believe qualitative and bio-available protein is under consumed, particularly by women. Context is important I feel, i.e. if you are metabolically sick, then perhaps a "normal" amount of protein per meal is right (by normal I would say an palm size of steak). On my protocol that single steak always is doubled. I tested a carnivore diet (sometimes just ribs) for around 5 months and had a hs-crp of 0.3, fasting insulin of 5.2, trigs of 0.3, HDL of circa 2.5 (might have been 2.6) and 90 day averages on my Accu-Check Mobile of 4.2 (down from 4.3 / 4.4); so in my case, for a reasonable 5 months, with intense exercise (what I call "clearance") I saw significant benefits. Many do not do the level of exercise and also have good markers. I couldn't quite join, as unlike @Brunneria who had minor addictions, I have a mickey taking amount of extras (but a lot of protein):

Food.JPG

This does not include the nuts and berry finishers. I am still learning as my eyes are too big for my belly, the salmon and egg meal I had at 11, and almost 3 hours later I am still stuffed (I must trust leptin to kick in, so maybe start with I less salmon steak).

This video might help you:

15. VioletViolet

VioletViolet Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

16. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Carnivore pizza for me tonight. Base made with ground Awfully Posh pork crackling, grated mozzarella and cream cheese. Topping was more mozzarella, pepperoni and Polish sausage. Followed up by 2 small pieces of Emmental with butter - hadn’t tried the cheese/butter combination before. It might be making another appearance.

17410636-E536-41B9-9EBB-3CCB23BF22E6.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Oh yes, slices of cheddar thickly spread with President salted butter. In fact, anything spread with butter...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. wiflib

Has anyone noticed they don’t smell as much? On a carni group on FB, many say they no longer need to use deodorant and even soap.

19. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Maybe it would be more helpful if they asked those around them what they think ? after all there is the possibility that they now have a "modified" sense of smell. Not to mention acetone breath.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. wiflib

Well!

All going swimmingly, just had coffee and a chicken breast yesterday so not enough fat which resulted in cheese consumption today and much earlier than I usually break my fasting and it seems my body isn’t all that keen on dairy. I run on 3’s and 4’s normally but the cheese resulted in sixes. Normal, I know, but not normal for me.
    More test strips or order and a bit of experimentation needed.

How are you guys doing?

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook