Fasting as a challenge during Ramadan, but no water or any other liquid?

charlie000

I have a really good Muslim friend, and I told him I was interested in fasting for a better health and he told me about Ramadan. Muslims do not eat or drink between before Sunrise and at Sunset.

In the UK the timings are around 0330 - 2045 and adjust by two mins both ways everyday. So for example, it will change to 0332 - 2047 and so on.

The idea is not to eat or drink during these hours. Muslims do it for spiritual and health reasons. I'm doing it as a challenge to see where I get to after 30 days.

Some members on here have said no liquids is a really bad idea. I fail to understand why, because, I have around 2-3L of water before I begin my fast, and some nuts.

Why is no water bad?

D

Deleted member 308541

I am in the UK. Can you really dehydrate and die from no water all day? I mean, I have 2-3L of water by the time I am in bed.
Your body excretes nearly that amount each day so you have to replenish it during the day.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the UK. Can you really dehydrate and die from no water all day? I mean, I have 2-3L of water by the time I am in bed.
millions and millions of Muslims do this, in all part of the world, for a month. I cant see the problem as long as you make sure you are drinking enough during the hours of night. And not drinking the whole 2-3 litres in one go.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
And you are supposed to have enough food to sustain the fast. People do longer fasts - multiple days but I have never heard of anyone doing dry fasts for health benefits alone. Religious fasting is different and the Muslim fasting period involves far more than just food intake. There are those who can be exempt from fasting and for good reasons.

Reactions: Shas3

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And you are supposed to have enough food to sustain the fast. People do longer fasts - multiple days but I have never heard of anyone doing dry fasts for health benefits alone. Religious fasting is different and the Muslim fasting period involves far more than just food intake. There are those who can be exempt from fasting and for good reasons.
as i understand it, the OP says he is only fasting from food and drink for around 17 hours a day. @charlie000

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The max I do is 20 hours. Before I did 20 but with water this time it’s 20 without water and food.
So, what are the health benefits/risks of going without fluids for 20 hours per day?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't see anywhere on your profile page what type of diabetes you have or what medication you are taking if any @charlie000 - it is difficult to give advice with such little information.

Also if you don't know the benefits/risks of not drinking why are you doing it? just curious

charlie000

Can't see anywhere on your profile page what type of diabetes you have or what medication you are taking if any @charlie000 - it is difficult to give advice with such little information.

Also if you don't know the benefits/risks of not drinking why are you doing it? just curious

I am not a diagnosed diabetic and I think I am pretty diabetic awaiting hba1c. I take no medication

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a diagnosed diabetic and I think I am pretty diabetic awaiting hba1c. I take no medication

Hi @charlie000,

If you complete the Personal Details section of your profile, then people won’t have to keep asking you your diabetic status and meds to understand your situation.

You can update the Details later, when/if you get a diagnosis.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks :) - maybe fasting food wise would be ok, not drinking and getting dehydrated can be bad for your kidneys or make us more susceptible to water infections- as you are waiting diagnosis and are not sure wether you are have diabetes but think you may have I'm presuming you have been testing with a meter and have had some numbers to cause you concern, in my opinion I think it's a bad idea to not drink, you don't know if you have any hidden complications or damage from high numbers, kidney function being one of them, for me it wouldn't be worth the risk

Reactions: Guzzler

ZoomZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hunger pangs.
I have a really good Muslim friend, and I told him I was interested in fasting for a better health and he told me about Ramadan. Muslims do not eat or drink between before Sunrise and at Sunset.

In the UK the timings are around 0330 - 2045 and adjust by two mins both ways everyday. So for example, it will change to 0332 - 2047 and so on.

The idea is not to eat or drink during these hours. Muslims do it for spiritual and health reasons. I'm doing it as a challenge to see where I get to after 30 days.

Some members on here have said no liquids is a really bad idea. I fail to understand why, because, I have around 2-3L of water before I begin my fast, and some nuts.

Why is no water bad?

Replenish yourself in the non fasting time. This will be sufficient for the fasting time. After a few days, your body will get used to it. That’s what I’ve seen.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Replenish yourself in the non fasting time. This will be sufficient for the fasting time. After a few days, your body will get used to it. That’s what I’ve seen.
Perhaps you too would like to fill in your details on your profile page?