Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you studying? I’m so looking forward to starting Uni again in September but I suspect things are a bit different from last time I studied. Do students even use pens and paper any more?

Two of mine prefer pen and paper and have to be dragged to the computer kicking and screaming. (Or, at least, bribed with biscuits or the promise of an early break.)

Reactions: kitedoc

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I'm hoping I'll be much more on control by thos time next year, as I'll be in intensive rehearsals for out main musical, which will be directed by a previously mentioned lecturer...

I feel sure you will be

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ooh what you studying?
I do musical theatre, hence the performance for assessment last night. I still use a pen and paper, but a lot of people do take laptops into lectures. Lots of power points!
Paramedic Science at Swansea :) I've got my iPad and Apple Pencil which makes actually writing stuff very easy, and I can save that as a pdf file, embed video, typing and images and view it on all my devices.

Reactions: kitedoc

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Paramedic Science at Swansea :) I've got my iPad and Apple Pencil which makes actually writing stuff very easy, and I can save that as a pdf file, embed video, typing and images and view it on all my devices.
Sounds like you're more high tech than me!

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That really is a tough one. I think if I were in that situation, being aware of the signs, I would rather live in ignorance rather than worrying day in day out if/when it will start.
But that's just me. Of course, knowing and planning for it would be more comforting to some people. The possibility of them being able to develop a drug to hold back alzheimers would be amazing, but I'm one to believe that you should put yourself first in a situation like this, and think about which would be better for your own mental health.

Just caught this. & interesting you bring this up. My non D mum has Alzheimer's & was tried on some drugs.. They gave her a severe adverse reaction. So it was considered quality of life over preventing the possibility of further condition development.

One thing I've read up on regarding the understanding of Alzhiemers, is autopsies in deceased patients have thrown up an "insulin resistance" in the brain?

According to the consultants with my mum, there's nothing in her lifestyle that should put her at risk?

Now here is where it gets interesting... My mum was a vegitarian, then Vegan for over 35 years. She would have continued if it wasn't for the Alzhiemers. It was her fully respected "choice."
In Fact it was the first thing I noticed something was probably "wrong." Over the breakfast table with a fry up one morning after popping round to tidy her garden..
This new adopted default protien source diet, seems to have inadvertently slowed or halted her condition's progression..?

It is a complex condition, there is probably more to it than that...

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Twiglets seem to be a bit like Marmite you either love ‘em or hate ‘em. I prefer Ritz but they’re a bit too carby even for me!

Oddly I love Marmite but don't like Twiglets. Don't really like Ritz either - too salty. I like Quinoa chips and I'm quite fond of the lentil ones but they're a bit carby.

Although this is to be a party, and so all rules are made to be broken!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly I love Marmite but don't like Twiglets. Don't really like Ritz either - too salty. I like Quinoa chips and I'm quite fond of the lentil ones but they're a bit carby.

Although this is to be a party, and so all rules are made to be broken!!
Let’s ditch the Ritz and have Cheddars instead - could have TUC but they are probably saltier than Ritz. I wonder if @Knikki will bring, and share, any of his chocolate cake? I make a mean Pavlova but not sure how you work out the carbs etc and I’d have to wrestle it away from my husband anyway.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Daphne917 Bring him along - price of admission is Pavlova for all......

Reactions: Robinredbreast

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay used to be on twice a day Lantus, and have tried different doses on odd and even days. Neither seemed to help unfortunately. Re pump my HBA1C is too good and I don’t have hypo unawareness so don’t qualify either for pump or Libre. (Though am going to ask again re Libre) They keep both under tight control around here. Though to be fair I was never keen on a pump. Might have to have a rethink. The only time I drop after exercise is about 30 hours after swim
fit!
Lovely 2nd birthday brunch, grandson managed to blow out the candles on his cake. Interesting reaction to the food I ate. 2 sausages, 2 rashers bacon 1/2 tomato 1 mushroom and a fried egg. Started on a 7.7 injected 2 units. Had 2 more an hour ago and have now hit 13.2 with arrow still going up. I ate 4 hours ago for goodness sake. Am going to hit the wine and basically devour lots of yummy carbs.

Reactions: Kim Possible

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let’s ditch the Ritz and have Cheddars instead - could have TUC but they are probably saltier than Ritz. I wonder if @Knikki will bring, and share, any of his chocolate cake? I make a mean Pavlova but not sure how you work out the carbs etc and I’d have to wrestle it away from my husband anyway.

You have 2 chances of that happening:angelic::angelic:

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell us more @Jaylee what band were you in how well did you do
A little difficult to explain without breaching some forum rules.. ;)

I was roped into a reformed "NWOBHM" band in 1998. Told they had a record deal & a couple of gigs waiting.
Then set to work rehearsing some old stuff & writing for a new record.

It was fun along the way. (16 years.) But then it all got a little "spinal Tap." :D

Without going into too much detail. I by this time was settled & married. Wifey was & still is cool with my going off & doing my thing. I also had formulated a "business plan" regarding a little more longevity whilst staying true to & keeping the original fanbase.. We had just completed another album & a festival in Sweden.

Everyone else got caught up in their own worsening personal issues & the idea of giving someone we barely knew with no pedigree the role of "band manager," didn't sit right..

My plan was to do a JDRF benefit gig we were booked for. Then shake hands & walk.

However. i got an email from the band 3 weeks before the JDRF date, cancelling the gig & my services too..
I had just under 3 weeks to get another band together & rehearse for the date, thus honouring the gig with the organiser who'd contacted me for an explanation as none was given by the band's "manager."

That's rock & roll... :banghead:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Did someone say cake??? I am now VERY interested

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Just caught this. & interesting you bring this up. My non D mum has Alzheimer's & was tried on some drugs.. They gave her a severe adverse reaction. So it was considered quality of life over preventing the possibility of further condition development.

One thing I've read up on regarding the understanding of Alzhiemers, is autopsies in deceased patients have thrown up an "insulin resistance" in the brain?

According to the consultants with my mum, there's nothing in her lifestyle that should put her at risk?

Now here is where it gets interesting... My mum was a vegitarian, then Vegan for over 35 years. She would have continued if it wasn't for the Alzhiemers. It was her fully respected "choice."
In Fact it was the first thing I noticed something was probably "wrong." Over the breakfast table with a fry up one morning after popping round to tidy her garden..
This new adopted default protien source diet, seems to have inadvertently slowed or halted her condition's progression..?

It is a complex condition, there is probably more to it than that...

Yes, all the causes of the various forms of dementia are fascinating, and I think the latest research into Alzheimers suggests it’s a failure in one of the proteins, oligomers, that form clumps on the neural pathways in the brain. It’s a bit like having too many dust bunnies in a mobile phone - it won’t work properly