1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The venues are a long way from me too it’s be a good one to take the badass crew to

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jazz97

Jazz97 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just had a look at Ed Gamble. Found his diabetes bit very funny!

I am embracing the trial and error life today. Blood sugar was looking lovely at 5.8 (the lowest ove been, and feeling very shaky for it!). So thought I would test a banana without insulin just to see how much it raises my blood sugar. I'm a little scared at what's going to happen, but I figure it's best to know, especially as I usually have one with breakfast every morning, and its after breakfast where I'm currently getting my highest BS of the day

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Jazz97 you may be feeling shacky at 5.8 because it could be a false hypo, basically because you have been running so high that dropping to 5.8, which is a GOOD number by the way, gives you that hypo feeling.

Making progress:)

What happened with the banana experiment?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

@Robinredbreast ...hope you enjoyed your afternoon in Winchester....a certain coach driver I know will be there next Friday / Saturday....:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A useful thing to try every now and then is to wait until bg is fairly stable, then take 10g of glucose, and wait and watch to see how much bg rises until it settles out again.

And on the other side of the coin, wait till stable at about 8 or so to give a bit of hypo leeway, then take 1u of insulin without food to see how much it drops you before it levels out again.

DAFNE says it should be about 2 to 3 in either direction but that's a very general rule with broad margins based on observations of lots of people, so it can be useful to do those routines to figure out your personal numbers.

You can then apply them to multiples of 10g and 1u to get a clearer idea of how much insulin for a particular meal. That's more or less one of the main pillars of carb counting, but, as always with T1, there are other factors involved which influence things, but it's a good starting point.

It's easier doing it with cgm but still do-able with strips.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jazz97

Ooh thank you! I may have to give this a go!
    I've been testing a lot the past few days, and would love to get a freestyle libre, but cant afford to self fund at the moment (poor student here) and I have to wait a certain amount of time until I can be considered for one on the NHS. So finger pricking it is for now!

7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I think Spike caught the blunt of the grilling. Stomach muscles are still aching

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jazz97

Definitely a false hypo! Woke up like this the other day as well. Annoying because it makes me want to eat to stop feeling so shaky, but good to know that my levels are getting to normal.

An hour after banana and I'm at 10.3. Will check again in another hour to see how I'm going. I'm hoping ot doesn't go up too much more, because bananas are one of my very favourite foods and dint know if I could do without them!

• Like Like x 3
  9. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aaargh Mels cat.......just put my jacket on and pulled my MM and libre straight off.....a call to Abbott's in the morning grrrrr

• Hug Hug x 3
  10. Scott-C

The current RMOC guidelines for NHS England are that if there is a clinical need for testing more than 8 times a day, and it can be shown via meter history that this has been done for 3 months, they should prescribe, no ifs, no buts.

I think some people have been deliberately upping testing to meet the above 8.

Partha Kar, the NHS clinical lead for T1 says that the guidelines are to be regarded as a bare minimum and ccgs are free to loosen them. I suppose that might end up as a post-code lottery depending on how liberal particular ccgs are.

But I think, depending on how your team think about it, if you were to express a strong interest in it, explain how you've been testing a lot as you're keen to learn how insulin and carb-counting works and say you think libre will help with that, then, you never know, get a kind DSN or consultant on the right day, you might be in with a shout for getting it on script, no harm in asking.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ok making progress but just beware the fruits like bananas, blood oranges and others have high concetrations of fructose, fruit sugar in other words and as you see it can push you up. They tend to be a no no for T2, so once you get more of a hold on this T1 malarkey you may find you will just have to add a little insulin to cover you. :)

Bit like me with cake :joyful::angelic:

• Like Like x 6
  12. Jazz97

An hour later and the BS has started dropping again! So looks like I'll need a tiny bit of insulin, but I can live with that.
    Tbh I've been avoiding fruit because of the fructose. It's scaring me a little at the moment, but I have a little here and there. Also may have had a little cake here and there too

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fairygodmother

When you go for fruit remember that bananas release their carb load gradually, it’s why they’re used to power sports people during a game or match, so you’ll need to watch out for early drops and/or later rises. All are ok with corrections.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Fairygodmother

☹️

15. Scott-C

No need to be scared of fruit - I suspect you've maybe been reading too many T2 posts on the subject! Those can be deeply misleading: T2 biology is different. There's no reason at all why T1s can't enjoy a decent range of fruit in moderation.

Fruit has both glucose and fructose in it. The glucose raises bg and can be dealt with by an appropriate amount of insulin.

The fructose doesn't really raise bg. It gets metabolised in the liver and ends up being stored there as glycogen, a storage form of glucose, and any excess will end up as fat.

Keeping the liver stocked with glycogen is a good thing for T1s. It's used as an energy source between meals and is released in response to glucagon being kicked out by the alpha cells in yr pancreas when hypoing.

T1 isn't really about avoiding carbs, it's about managing the absorption rate of them.

For example, if I have fruit as dessert at the end of a meal, the longer chain carbs, and fats and proteins, in the main course will buffer the absorption rate of faster acting carbs in fruit.

For example, the other day I had some Uncle Bens wholegrain Mexican Spiced Rice with some squid rings on top, about 70g, then a Tesco tub of melon, kiwi fruit and strawberries, about 15 to 20g.

Net result was that nothing much happened spike-wise because brown rice is a complex carb which slows down the fruit action.

In the last week, I've eaten kiwi fruit, melon, fresh figs, strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, none of which have had a major effect on bg, all of which have given me a range of nutrients and increased my enjoyment of life.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Jazz97 . Sterling advice from Scott.
    I too like a banana, have one most days. Depending on when I eat it and where my levels are I don’t inject but what I will do is have some peanut butter alongside the banana. Along the same lines as what Scott said, the fat ( good ) in the peanut butter slows down the absorption of the banana in the system.
    Of course this only works if you like peanut butter.:):):):):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I’ve just watched Smokey and the Bandit. Burt Reynolds’ trousers give Mo’s shorts a run for their money!

As for fruit, I eat fruit for breakfast most days. Anything from bananas to mangos, from apples to Sharon fruit and oranges to peaches ... depending on the season.

• Like Like x 3
  18. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just had a Tweet pop up on my Twitter account saying that Type 1 Nice guidelines are up for review. Clicked on link and read them all. Mostly interesting! Learnt quite a bit. Apparently HBA1C should be done 3-6 monthly. Only having mine done yearly now. The updated ones should be interesting now Libre is in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi there Becca - Do you have a link to the guidelines you read?

20. Fairygodmother

Just seen that Ed Gamble’s coming near here on 23rd May but younger daughter, grandsons and I will be have a conducted tour of the Mars Rover site that day. Luckily he’s doing another performance on 20 Oct so must book!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook