Regular moderate exercise log

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it didn't go as planned on Friday. I re-tore my hip in the warmup and really shouldn't have attempted to Squat, but as I was there anyway. Missed all three attempts at 165kg and that was it. But I was asked to compete in the bench press and deadlift only, and won 2 gold medals in that instead. Wasn't the outcome I wanted but it was also the risk I was running competing with the injury. Thanks to everyone for the support it means a lot to me
2 gold medals sounds like a pretty good outcome to me but sorry for the injury and missing out on squats. Top fella.

Reactions: zauberflote

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2 gold medals sounds like a pretty good outcome to me but sorry for the injury and missing out on squats. Top fella.
Doesn't feel like a success as I have to withdraw from the Europeans, as I think the hip is going to take longer than 4 weeks to heal in time for that competition, but these things will happen

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it didn't go as planned on Friday. I re-tore my hip in the warmup and really shouldn't have attempted to Squat, but as I was there anyway. Missed all three attempts at 165kg and that was it. But I was asked to compete in the bench press and deadlift only, and won 2 gold medals in that instead. Wasn't the outcome I wanted but it was also the risk I was running competing with the injury. Thanks to everyone for the support it means a lot to me

So sorry to hear of the injury - must have been a blow. Brilliant result with the 2 golds though. Well done.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So sorry to hear of the injury - must have been a blow. Brilliant result with the 2 golds though. Well done.
Thank you, it was always a possibility, in hindsight I should have not competed, but you live and learn don't you.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 days here. Yesterday was 11.5k steps, 35 mins grass cutting and 30 mins exercise bike. Today was pretty slack 15k steps wearing in new trainers. I was going to use the ex bike but settled in watching old Spooks.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Two walks today sandwiched around a whole lot of sitting. 1 mile on getting up, sit in car, church, car, lunch at son's (smoked salmon!!!!), sit in car, sit with Mom (who was at lunch with us also), sit in car. Regard balloon ankles. Change and walk, intended to be just 2 miles but it was so chill and breezy out, and the storms on the radar kept evaporating, that I added .64 miles "just a little farther" 3 times. And... I had run to the car in the rain at one point, which felt so much less galumphy than previous times, that I semi-ran for a couple of downhill blocks. Not supposed to make a habit of that so as not to wear out the plastic cup of either bionic hip before its time, but it's good to practise in case you need it one day, right?? I'm allowed to sprint in the rain, and chase children around the yard, just not half an hour daily. So, just did the sprint, and getting in shape for child-chasing. I used to be a happy happy jogger, so knowing I am capable will feel good.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just over 15k steps today, mostly from a 4 mile walk along the canal towpaths and river banks.
Also 75 min yoga class this evening. I’ve missed it, can’t find a class like it in Cornwall - they are all too serious and sweaty.
@zauberflote good galumphing there.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
10.5k steps today - would have been more but 1 dog ran back home a short way into our walk. 40 mins hauling the mower up and down the ditch, 20-30 mins walking around with a 16 litre rucksack spraying weedkiller and a good 30 mins session on the exercise bike. @zauberflote take it easy with the sprinting . I miss the jogging too.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
So @ianpspurs you enjoyed jogging but don't much enjoy walking. To me they are the same thing-- get outside and go around the 'hood. I calculated that over 20 years, I jogged most of the way around the equator! For me it was its own reward. I never ever had any desire to compete. Not really even with myself. If I felt cruddy, I did what I could. Improvement came with time, not really with concerted effort to "beat" a previous "record". It seems I'm a little different now, but if I feel cruddy I have no rule that says I must complete a "goal". I don't intend to run alot, but it would be nice to be in better shape than I am, simply for health, welfare, and personal safety.
So today 3.25 miles in two walks. Got a little wet early this morning; the new windbreaker was not all that in the water resistant delartment....

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was swimming lesson day and 15k steps. Legs feeling heavy tonight so no exercise bike - oh no

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today was swimming lesson day and 15k steps. Legs feeling heavy tonight so no exercise bike - oh no

How's swimming? Do they have you doing butterfly yet? sorry about heavy legs. I hope they feel lighter tomorrow! All that grass mowing and picking up gigantic eggs!
1 mile walk this morning and a barre class earlier this evening. We were in a regular gigantic studio instead of the PT/physio room with tables rolled away, and suddenly my "vestibular" kicked in. Staggering all over when supposed to stay in one place Fun was had anyway!

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Been watching your journey to this comp. It is brilliant what you have achieved whilst obviously uncomfortable. Very well done. The injuries will heal in time, I hope you can enter again injury free.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been watching your journey to this comp. It is brilliant what you have achieved whilst obviously uncomfortable. Very well done. The injuries will heal in time, I hope you can enter again injury free.
Thank you, its been a roller-coaster of emotions, but this failure (as I see it) has effected me a bit more than I expected. Get this week away working and then see how things go

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing much today, lots of waiting for phone/text telling us where to go meet new granddaughter. Managed 13.3k steps despite that but nothing else.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Been AWOL for too long - just too much going on to keep up with multiple threads every day.

@johnpol impressive stuff but hugs for the injury

My hand issues have kept me away from weights and Pilates, but walking has continued at normal levels and the return of warm sunshine yesterday led to a long walk home from work in the sun and 25.3k steps. Rest day today.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely walk along the canal towpath in the sunshine again today. Over 22k steps (7.5 miles) so feeling very pleased with that as it really wasn’t a chore at all. @Goonergal I can see why you’re addicted to this. My only issue is not having a circular route - trying to decide how far is far enough then just turning round and coming back seems a shame.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely walk along the canal towpath in the sunshine again today. Over 22k steps (7.5 miles) so feeling very pleased with that as it really wasn’t a chore at all. @Goonergal I can see why you’re addicted to this. My only issue is not having a circular route - trying to decide how far is far enough then just turning round and coming back seems a shame.

Can you pick up public transport along the way - so you can have a choice of where to stop and travel back? That’s what I’ve done in Birmingham.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think there was a mixture of exercise today but if not tough cos I can't relive it. 13.5k steps mainly made up of 95 mins cutting lawns ,which is allegedly also resistance, and dog walking. 30 mins exercise bike. Ultimately needs some weights and well planned core work but maybe winter when not so much grass cutting.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you pick up public transport along the way - so you can have a choice of where to stop and travel back? That’s what I’ve done in Birmingham.

Thats a good idea - if I went towards London certainly (rather than towards Brum) I found a sign with the canal map on it today but no scale unfortunately so no idea how far apart the various junctions and locks are.
IMG_7402.jpg