Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When we first got him <-- @ 8 weeks old or what ever he was small, the wife thought allowing him on the sofa and bed wouldn't be a problem, I put my foot down and said there is no way he'll be allowed on the furniture - she's thanking me now, he's too big and takes up too much room and we have a large bed! The cats on the other hand are small but amazingly still take up most of the room! It's not unusual for us to wake up cornered to a small area of the bed and them stretched out claiming the rest of the bed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee - Poppy was a rescue who'd been starved and beaten. At some stage she'd been kicked badly because one hip was damaged beyond repair, and her tail was broken when we got her. She'd been kennelled (a tiny toy dog) with a Staffy and not much food was provided so Poppy didn't get much at all. She would happily eat junk food and we think the boy of the house fed her left over burgers and pizza.

I'm still so hugely glad she came to us although she was food shy to her dying day. Took each mouthful of her dinner behind the sofa to eat it... we didn't put her bowl there because then she'd have taken the food somewhere else to eat it. We got her through all her other problems, and she was an adorable, gorgeous dog.

Sounds a little like Scraps.. He does eat from the bowl, but we needed to leave the county to let him at it.
Though he's way over it now..

All i know of the history is he belonged to the daughter of this woman who was picking up her grand kids? from the same school my sister's kid was at.
My sister happened to overhear this woman telling a tale of this poor dog at the hands of the boyfriend at the school gates needing a new home.
My mum at the time had just lost her Shih Tzu. & the rest is history..

I cannot understand why people get a dog if they don't want to love it and look after it. It is a total mystery! Although if I ever came across the woman who'd owned our Poppy it would take every ounce of self control I have not to make physical contact. I don't think I would, but I do think I'd disgrace myself with language....

I'd Like to think karma resolved the "boyfriend's" nasty little insecurity issues in the shape of a sabre toothed horse... ;)

Give a rescue dog time to shine. & it will light up the brightest day! :cool:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah - love all this 'dog talk', here's mine, he's a cross between a Norfolk and a Jack Russell, he's 11 now, was the runt of the litter, he's my constant companion and comes everywhere, except when it's hot and he's left at home, is sat behind me at work as I type. I take him into the school playground and the kids love him, he get's excited when we head to school so it's the highlight of his day, however he got a bit too excited recently in the playground and peed on a child's shoe, now kept on a tight reign at school !!!

Attachments

• Timmy.JPG
    Timmy.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 127

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
He's absolutely lovely! Lucky dog to be able to be out and about with you so much.

Mind you my husband is retired and has our two with him almost all the time. I'm looking forward to my own retirement (3.5 years) and that's one of the reasons.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately my MIL was a bit sharp with him once as he gets a bit excited and he peed on the floor, since then he's peed a few times when he see's her !!

I would love more dogs but they are like children and require alot of care and love, so will wait till one leaves the nest before the next replacement !

James_Donnelly

Tough few days. Out of nowhere at 1am on Sunday morning I woke up and was violently ill. First time I have been ill in the 4 and a half years since becoming diabetic. Was up from 1am until 7am vomiting. Threw up around 80 times all in until I started throwing up blood whilst I was on the phone to NHS 24 and they sent an ambulance for me. Couldn' even keep water down for more than a minute and with 6 hours of continuous vomiting this led to me becoming dehydrated and then keytones went up. Spent Sunday from 8am until 8pm on a drip in the hospital having blood pressure etc all monitored throughout the day. Got let home and went to sleep for a couple hours then woke up at 11pm and vomited again but thankfully it was just the one episode this time. Went to bed and slept till the morning however didnt have any basel insulin, and then on Monday I was bed ridden the entire day basically and was just eating small easy things but wasnt taking any bolus throughout the day either.

Anyway I have felt better but not been able to eat normally still since Tuesday pretty much and been back on my insulin but not back on my usual meal plan which has about 150g of carbs a day and similar amount of protein. Instead I've pretty much eaten no protein and all carbs with meals like soup and breakfast cereals and my blood sugars have gone absolutely through the roof.

I usually run around 5-7 but they've jumped to 13-17 and won't come back down. I'm hoping that as I am now today back on my usual lower carb meal plan they'll will come back down again but for 2 or 3 days now they have been sky high. I managed to get it down to 7 before I went to bed last night as I had a massive correction dose of 6 which only brought me down by 6 (usually 1 unit brings me down 2 or 3) but then I woke up this morning and was 13 again. As someone who usually is 5-7 throughout the day and wakes up below 5 most mornings, this is doing my head in.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not dog related but low carb: after two days awayand himself relying on the "just in time" food shopping, the cupboard was nearly bare so I had to venture to Morrisons to pick up some ingredients for lunch.
This is what I came up with

That looks amazing Helen :)

@James_Donnelly wow, thats pretty rubbish mate. Agree totally with what Helen has said with your basal. Speak to your DSN/diabetes team ASAP. And keep us upto date

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not dog related but low carb: after two days awayand himself relying on the "just in time" food shopping, the cupboard was nearly bare so I had to venture to Morrisons to pick up some ingredients for lunch.
This is what I came up with

That looks amazing Helen :)

@James_Donnelly wow, thats pretty rubbish mate. Agree totally with what Helen has said with your basal. Speak to your DSN/diabetes team ASAP. And keep us upto date

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Anjit I've had one or 2 'goose' chicken eggs in the past and even as a man it brings a tear to my eye, poor hen!

Helen your lunch looked amazing!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Note to self: don't be utterly determined the bag where the pen has leaked is going to go in the wash immediately you set foot through the door, along with the glucose monitor bags, a backpack, a dozen very dirty microfibre cloths, and the emergency towels to fill the washing machine.

At least, not until the work-related phone has been taken out of the side pocket. The one with the basal alarms set on it.

More importantly, self, do not do any of this before checking that the impending sense of doom and urgency that the world is about to end (if that which was listed in the first paragraph doesn't get into the machine immediately), is just that and not a 3.5 needed attending to.

Now to work out the alarms on the Other Phone which is charging up rapidly as I type.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Note to self: don't be utterly determined the bag where the pen has leaked is going to go in the wash immediately you set foot through the door, along with the glucose monitor bags, a backpack, a dozen very dirty microfibre cloths, and the emergency towels to fill the washing machine.

At least, not until the work-related phone has been taken out of the side pocket. The one with the basal alarms set on it.

More importantly, self, do not do any of this before checking that the impending sense of doom and urgency that the world is about to end (if that which was listed in the first paragraph doesn't get into the machine immediately), is just that and not a 3.5 needed attending to.

Now to work out the alarms on the Other Phone which is charging up rapidly as I type.
Do you have as sound advice as how to remember to check this* when below 3.6? Would be very useful.

(* refers to the 'this' in your last paragraph)

Reactions: hh1

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have as sound advice as how to remember to check this* when below 3.6? Would be very useful.

(* refers to the 'this' in your last paragraph)

Alas, no. I'd tested at 5.3 as I was waiting for the bus which had prevented me walking up the hill home, but had got distracted by the dramas at the bus stop before mine (which I could see and hear all too clearly after about 30 people had got thrown off the bus I thought I was going to get onto,) and then by chatting to an 11-year old I know well on the bus I then got on for most of the way home. (Enthusiastic description of the Post-SATs party planning for tomorrow was vouchsafed to me. I'm surprised I didn't go high on the descriptions of the food!)

I'm a fairly determined task completer at the best of times, and it seems to get magnified if I'm low and getting lower.

Reactions: porl69 and hh1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Alas, no.
I'm a fairly determined task completer at the best of times, and it seems to get magnified if I'm low and getting lower.
Ah, too bad. We'll just go on stubbornly trying to do tasks we can't do rightly because of low that we think we need to do because of low. At least we have a good excuse for being stubbornly stupid or stupidly stubborn :p

Reactions: Knikki and hh1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ah, too bad. We'll just go on stubbornly trying to do tasks we can't do rightly because of low that we think we need to do because of low. At least we have a good excuse for being stubbornly stupid or stupidly stubborn :p

My daughter can vouch for that :rolleyes::oops:;)

Reactions: porl69 and Japes