What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@HarrisonK - esteemed thread starter - sorry to hear about gastric issues.

Aargh, it was my own fault snacking late. I wish I could be as conscientious as you and others here but I can't get my head around it. So, I just aim to keep my numbers in the 5's during the day and pray nothing drops off ;)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A belated good morning all, a 6 greeted me today which was nice. I have been away all week doing a train the trainer course and have had to endure a Beefeater restaurant for 6 days, not ideal nor enjoyable. It seems both my wife and my dogs missed me whilst on my jaunt so much so my wife said that as she missed me so much I can paint the new gates before I hang them! Should hopefully get back to regular posts now that things are settling down.

Take care everyone.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 at 5:45 had risen to 6 by 8am. Bg stayed higher than norm after good fbg yesterday. Dispute low carb food. It seems that without the buffering effect of metformin (2 weeks without it now) my liver is being given free reign to pump out glucose with gay abandon.
@trick60 good luck today, hope the new job is good, and more imortantly, that your new colleagues are friendly.
@Cumberland hope you are at a more managable number now.
@Shas3 I also try to eat dinner as early as possible to avoid DP but not always successfully. Sometimes It seems too much protein at dinner is a big factor for me.
@Goacher55 hugs for the constant colds and illness. Any sort of infection or inflammation can affect your bg it seems, but I have no knowledge or experience of insulin I’m afraid. Hope you get it under control soon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs that really is very little carbs...I am wondering what is your daily target and how little you eat. I just couldnt get that low unless I ate nothing but meat or dairy and that for me is a firm no no. I understand so much better your discontent with this woe. I am outraged on your behalf!
No need for outrage @PenguinMum. Yesterday was basically cheese and flaxseed cracker day mainly dictated by logistics/timing of No 1 son's birthday gathering, avoiding high carb food there then walking dog on return home. Daily target varies but average last week was 12.6 and that is about usual. My hunch is whatever numbers are now coming up is the best BG control my body will produce and now I need to juggle nutrients and vitamins to limit any collateral damage caused by damping down bg levels this way - unless or until LC stops working.

Last edited:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got a bit naughty today... I swear i left it at that.. and zero carbs for rest of day or probably a couple of days!!!
IMG_0141.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got a bit naughty today... I swear i left it at that.. and zero carbs for rest of day or probably a couple of days!!! View attachment 33032
Good on you. For those whose bodies can work around lapses/oopages/treats and stay on track there seems to be good reason to believe it is very positive. Some can't do that whilst others can but predicting which side of the divide you fall doesn't appear to be a science. Hope it was highly enjoyable and you are on the sunny side of the street - good man.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good on you. For those whose bodies can work around lapses/oopages/treats and stay on track there seems to be good reason to believe it is very positive. Some can't do that whilst others can but predicting which side of the divide you fall doesn't appear to be a science. Hope it was highly enjoyable and you are on the sunny side of the street - good man.

Thanks Ian. I love your outlook and take delight in your language. It is a true joy to read such wonderfully written comments.

Honestly I don’t know why i did it but it was probably a mix of frustration at the overly restricted regimen the condition demands, some of which is probably self imposed, and a nostalgia for the old days. I truly wasn’t craving the actual sweetness or creaminess that was on offer. And once into the first bite I realized how much my taste buds have changed- i just couldn’t believe how sweet the **** thing felt. Anyway it was a good reminder that whatever restrictions I have imposed on myself, i am definitely not missing something great. I will stick to better alternatives i.e 85%++ dark chocolate probably where one actually enjoys chocolate rather than just sugar and chemicals. Good day Ian

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Irritated beyond measure...call my GP's practice to book a medication review before my regular GP leaves the practice in six weeks time...unbelievably it took them ten minutes on the appointments line to answer my call...my third call... I gave up on the first two after waiting ten minutes the first time & eight minutes on the second one...I digress...my GP has no available slots left now despite not leaving for another six weeks...p****ed off & fed up are not the words for it.

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Irritated beyond measure...call my GP's practice to book a medication review before my regular GP leaves the practice in six weeks time...unbelievably it took them ten minutes on the appointments line to answer my call...my third call... I gave up on the first two after waiting ten minutes the first time & eight minutes on the second one...I digress...my GP has no available slots left now despite not leaving for another six weeks...p****ed off & fed up are not the words for it.

Hugs, hugs and hugs for you x

>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau and Shas3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Irritated beyond measure...call my GP's practice to book a medication review before my regular GP leaves the practice in six weeks time...unbelievably it took them ten minutes on the appointments line to answer my call...my third call... I gave up on the first two after waiting ten minutes the first time & eight minutes on the second one...I digress...my GP has no available slots left now despite not leaving for another six weeks...p****ed off & fed up are not the words for it.[/QUOT
Bubbsie no wonder you are annoyed..6 weeks should be enough time to get an appointment. Its at least 3 weeks wait now if I want to see my own doctor and lets be honest it is entirely right sometimes to see your own doctor about longstanding issues. I dread the day I wont have a specified doctor but have to see whoever is available. Not helpful to the doctor or the patient but I bet its coming.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dread the day I wont have a specified doctor but have to see whoever is available. Not helpful to the doctor or the patient but I bet its coming.

I've just dropped him a line telling him I need a medication review...cant get an appointment with him in the next six weeks...asking if there's a cancellation if they can let me know...I'm hoping he'll squeeze me in somewhere @PenguinMum...just unbelievable nothing with him in the next six weeks.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak and Steph --

scrambled or fried?

Fried, @SaskiaKC ...:D

As for today...a 5.8 on the carbom-eter.
Happy with that
Hank marvin yesterday after work so treated myself to a home made chilli con carne, jalapeno peppers, salad, coleslaw. Scrumptious.

I enjoyed the debate, re choices of foods and methods of tackling T2D...

It's certainly not a 'One size, fits all ', that's for sure.

Have a good day, y'all

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dread the day I wont have a specified doctor but have to see whoever is available. Not helpful to the doctor or the patient but I bet its coming.

I've just dropped him a line telling him I need a medication review...cant get an appointment with him in the next six weeks...asking if there's a cancellation if they can let me know...I'm hoping he'll squeeze me in somewhere @PenguinMum...just unbelievable nothing with him in the next six weeks.
We already have that in North Wales. My GP was sacked and now the NHS run our surgery, and there are different Locum doctors. It is now impossible to get an appointment. And it’s back to the old days where the waiting room is now full of 30 people or more waiting to see the Locum.

I hope you can get your appointment.
I don’t know what it is like in England, but in Wales I can go the pharmacy and the Chemist can give me a medical review.
I take all my prescriptions to the same chemist, and have done for many years, and so the chemist has a record of everything I have had and am having now. The chemist can be more expert than the doctor in a medication review.

That might be an idea if you cannot get your doc appointment or time runs out...

Hugs.
Take care x
>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That might be an idea if you cannot get your doc appointment or time runs out...
I can make an appointment with one of the other doctors gennepher...there four others although none of those have a regular appointment free until after the 17th of June...I'd prefer to see my own GP for the review then all being well could wait another six months before the next one...maybe even longer...honestly it's an uphill battle isn't it...a different locum each time how on earth can you establish a relationship of trust on that basis.

Reactions: gennepher