What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As someone who had a motorbike enthusiast live next door for 4 years (thankfully he has now moved on), I know how frustrating it can be. Sending hugs! Our idiot neighbour took to using our drive to fix his bikes while I was out at work!! On a number of occasions he was still there when I got back and heated words were exchanged. He always reacted like I was inconveniencing him!! I was glad to see the back of him!

He sounds awful! Mine are definitely not that bad.

I think my biggest problem is that my neighbours (both sides) are really nice except that they both have their idiosyncrasies - one side is his motorbike addiction and the other side is the occasional horse in the back garden (and occasionally getting silly giggly tiddly with her friends in the garden of a Saturday night leading in to the small hours of Sunday morning). I have had FAR worse neighbours in the past so I'm more than happy to put up with the revving motorbikes for a bit of neighbourly harmony.

I'm absolutely sure they could find something to moan about us - probably our dogs bursting their grandchildren's ball every time it accidentally ends up in our garden and barking at the singing and dancing on the Prosecco fuelled girls' nights in. :angelic: :angelic:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Am I the only person whose consumption of Hotel Chocolat chocolate amounts to zero?

Mr C once gave me three of the Hotel Chocolat 100% choc bars.... I think they put me off HC forever.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Ham, salad with half a jar of kimchi mixed in.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, buttered mushroom gravy.
Breakfast: Cheesey and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr C once gave me three of the Hotel Chocolat 100% choc bars.... I think they put me off HC forever.

Ha I think Ive managed to do that to all the members of my family I’m happy to say. Now I know my stash is safe!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

Yes, new pup. Bless her. It was all rather a whirlwind. No 3 was always on the cards, anytime in the last/next couple of years. We don’t want 2 dogs the same age, so that when one shuffles off, the 2nd is left pining. So we are building a rolling pack, spaced around 5 years apart (shih tzus can reach 15+ years). Always a young nipper, and an older retiree, with a middleaged in the middle to play with the youngster and be a grownup companion to the oldie. Nothing ever goes to plan, but we are trying. Lol. So far, the pack dynamic is a joy to watch.

My lunch:
Yes, weird, eh? Its a carnivore variant on prawn cocktail.
Basically the double cream replaces the mayo, and then instead of tomato sauce (sickly!) i use a smidge of any spicy pickle from the cupboard.
Endless potential variations, from herring, salmon, any flaked fish or back to prawns. :)

Makes more sense now, as a carnivore prawn cocktail. The cream/ spicy condiment mixture has potential in my book as a change from mayo. I love h/m mayo but find it such a fag to make, and I don’t like to go overboard on the shop stuff.
I’m envious of your doggy household.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A much better day today for me. I'm feeling much better in myself and less stressed. A trip to the dentists and hygienist this morning for me - I still have amazingly good teeth apparently! I must be blessed with good genes, almost 43 and no fillings! We did a spot of gardening and then lived dangerously ignoring the weather forecast and barbecuing in the rain!

B: Lime and Orange chia pudding with almonds. Black coffee.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with cream
L: Cheese and mushroom omelette with salad
Mid afternoon: Almond milk cappuccino with cream
D: Chicken in harissa yoghurt marinade (BBQ) and smoky grilled aubergine (BBQ) with baby spinach, cherry toms, olives and crumbled feta. One (and the final one!) 85% Hotel Chocolat baton! Decaf coffee.

Glad you’re feeling a bit better. I’m very impressed by your fillingless teeth. I think I had my first filling in primary school.
Was your aubergine just chucked on the bbq or did you marinade it in something to give the smoked flavour? I wish Mr C liked aubergine - I love it

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you’re feeling a bit better. I’m very impressed by your fillingless teeth. I think I had my first filling in primary school.
Was your aubergine just chucked on the bbq or did you marinade it in something to give the smoked flavour? I wish Mr C liked aubergine - I love it
Just a very quick toss in olive oil, paprika, oregano, s&p. I think aubergine naturally gets a smoky flavour when it's grilled, but even more so when cooked on a proper (not gas!) bbq. It was delicious!

My brother is the same with his teeth, so it must be good genes!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Makes more sense now, as a carnivore prawn cocktail. The cream/ spicy condiment mixture has potential in my book as a change from mayo. I love h/m mayo but find it such a fag to make, and I don’t like to go overboard on the shop stuff.
I’m envious of your doggy household.
I agree. I sometimes mix a condiment in with creme fraiche / ff Greek yoghurt and use instead of mayo or making a sauce. Nice with mustard, horseradish, harissa, pesto, etc. I've used lime pickle before and love the sound of cream spiked with garlicky pickle. That's just made me think......has anyone made a LC version of coronation chicken? It used to be one of my favourite sandwich fillings. From memory, I used to put mango chutney in the mixture, along with curry powder, mayo, creme fraiche, etc. Not sure how it would work without it.....

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree. I sometimes mix a condiment in with creme fraiche / ff Greek yoghurt and use instead of mayo or making a sauce. Nice with mustard, horseradish, harissa, pesto, etc. I've used lime pickle before and love the sound of cream spiked with garlicky pickle. That's just made me think......has anyone made a LC version of coronation chicken? It used to be one of my favourite sandwich fillings. From memory, I used to put mango chutney in the mixture, along with curry powder, mayo, creme fraiche, etc. Not sure how it would work without it.....

I've done it with full fat Hellmans and Pataks aubergine chutney - what I got was definitely not traditional coronation chicken but absolutely delicious.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I the only person whose consumption of Hotel Chocolat chocolate amounts to zero?
No - you can can share that honour with me - but I'll admit to a liking for 85% Lindt dark choccie, usually when I find it on offer!

Robbity

Reactions: gennepher

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.

I've never even seen it, so you are not alone. I seem to be a Lindt gal...

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Raise your hand if you know what ramps are (not the handicap type). @SaskiaKC ? Keep them up if you knew they come in a German cheese! (Answer at bottom of page 39, upside down. All will be explained in due time).
IMG_8440.jpg

NME's not remarkable. But! I made @Goonergal 's olive oil chocolate cake. I think your tablespoons are larger than our 15ml ones... I had put a little extra cocoa in, and still had to leave about a third of the water out. Anyway it turned out well: hot out of oven very high, light, and fluffy and drowned in cream yumyum! Several hours later it's half its original height, with a brownie-like crust on top, but light and fluffy underneath. Also, the cocoa and erythritol seem to have cooked into little shards of intense choc chip/chunk/shards scattered throughout. I may have eaten 3/16 of this cake already....
Good night all!View attachment 33157

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Viv19

Just a very quick toss in olive oil, paprika, oregano, s&p. I think aubergine naturally gets a smoky flavour when it's grilled, but even more so when cooked on a proper (not gas!) bbq. It was delicious!

My brother is the same with his teeth, so it must be good genes!

Or good care by your mum!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod Sorry you are not unique. This house is a chocolate free zone. I used to eat chocolate for every meal but only the milk variety. I love dark chocolate but can't eat it as it gives me terrible migraines.