Frying

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The fat doctor I'm on about is the consultant the operated on me after I had 3 heart attacks.
This is the problem I have
Keeping him happy as well as keeping the sugar doctor (diabetic doctor) happy.
The way I see it is that it's all well and good doing without carbs but without carbs your body will shut down and we'll stop sucking wind.
I'm sussing meals with as few of carbs in as possible but I need food with flavour.

IMO - fat is another word for flavour. I mainly use butter to fry, but some meats already come pre-flavoured with fat. So require little or none to be added to the pan. You can add butter to veggies for flavour, doesn't have to be a lot.

The key is to keep yourself happy and healthy. So I hope your cardiologist isn't promoting a low fat diet. Kinda sounds like it, but I don't know if that's the case. The low fat advice has been an absolute disaster for human health over the decades.

Good luck with your mission on sussing out new meals.

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought rapeseed oil was a bad one because if the process it goes through to make oil.

All seed oils go through nasty processing, not just rapeseed. Of all the oils rapeseed is the best choice if you have to use an oil for some reason, and the cold pressed rapeseed oil is not highly processed. Rapeseed oil has loads of omega 3 in it, whereas the others have loads of omega 6.

However, we have just been on a cottage holiday and used an ordinary rapeseed oil for convenience. My goodness I could taste that oil and it wasn't pleasant after using only animal fats for such a long time.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Hopefully seed oil fats.. yet I fear unlikely..

Yeah - I'm a huge fan of olive oil, and where possible the flavoured oils - garlic, basil whatever.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All seed oils go through nasty processing, not just rapeseed. Of all the oils rapeseed is the best choice if you have to use an oil for some reason, and the cold pressed rapeseed oil is not highly processed. Rapeseed oil has loads of omega 3 in it, whereas the others have loads of omega 6.

However, we have just been on a cottage holiday and used an ordinary rapeseed oil for convenience. My goodness I could taste that oil and it wasn't pleasant after using only animal fats for such a long time.

I thought so! Thanks. I always use coconut oil myself

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yeah - I'm a huge fan of olive oil, and where possible the flavoured oils - garlic, basil whatever.

Olive oil.... feta cheese stuffed olives in olive oil is a winner for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

They are tasty and I also like Sesame oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fat doctor I'm on about is the consultant the operated on me after I had 3 heart attacks.
This is the problem I have
Keeping him happy as well as keeping the sugar doctor (diabetic doctor) happy.
The way I see it is that it's all well and good doing without carbs but without carbs your body will shut down and we'll stop sucking wind.
I'm sussing meals with as few of carbs in as possible but I need food with flavour.
Er - no - carbs are not essential - without carbs your body will switch to burning fats, a superfuel.
For flavour try adding herbs and spices, and avoid the grey stodgy which is carbohydrate heavy foods - I eat salad and stirfries, which are great fun and full of flavour.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I agree with @Resurgam - a lot of people don't make sufficient use of spices, herbs and the interesting mixes available. There's a vast range of flavours in that bit of the supermarket. With those - and I often use at least five different herbs and spices in addition to the garlic, onion powder, different peppers & salts - you can subtly add to the flavours of ingredients so that the whole meal is delicious, when you thought it might be going to be a bit "samey". It's huge fun experimenting with what goes with which, and what happens if you add a spoonful of this paste or that powder.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

salad has protein in?

Not a lot at all, but yes - I have mixed raw veg & salad most lunchtimes and it gives me about 5g of protein. Obviously I add a protein source but there is a minor amount in the salad.