Frying

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been reading about no carb oils.
If these oils have no carbs in them does it mean that I can fry beef in the frying pan with these oils and it still has no carbs added?
I was thinking about mince being fried in the pan, draining the fat and using the cooked mince added with veg for a meal.
I'm talking about mixed veg with no potato but with gravy.

Reactions: 1spuds

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are most oils not carb free? Perhaps I'm being thick?!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watch what you’re making the gravy with, that may add carbs too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also thought oils are carb free. However, vegetable oils such as sunflower oil, corn oil, and other processed oils are best avoided because of what they contain and how they are manufactured. Personally I don't use any oils. I use animal fats - butter, lard, duck/goose fat etc. I do not want oils because they contain a poor balance of omega 6 and omega 3. Omega 6 is inflammatory and not at all heart healthy. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory and is heart healthy. The only oil with a lot of omega 3 is rapeseed oil (cold pressed) and olive oil.

When you say gravy, are you just talking about meat juices, or are you talking about Bisto?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been reading about no carb oils.
If these oils have no carbs in them does it mean that I can fry beef in the frying pan with these oils and it still has no carbs added?
I was thinking about mince being fried in the pan, draining the fat and using the cooked mince added with veg for a meal.
I'm talking about mixed veg with no potato but with gravy.
Why not just cook the mince in its own fat without adding anything?
Why would you want to drain off the fat?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest that you cook the vegetables in the juices and fat from the mince - you need to fats - there are only two essential food groups, proteins and fats.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason for draining the fat off the mince is to keep the Fat doctor happy.
If I make granulated gravy then I will be adding carbs but not an accessive amount.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I make granulated gravy then I will be adding carbs but not an accessive amount.

There will be more dangerous fat in the oils than in the mince.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was initially bothered by fat. I have hypertension. But my hypertension levels are dropping since I went LCHF. I eat a lot more fat than I used to including streaky bacon and fatty mince for example. And my blood glucose, weight and hypertension are dropping, all at the same time.

I fry with extra virgin olive oil or butter, depending on what I am frying.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has the doctor given you a reason for avoiding fats? The only liquid fat i use is olive oil, cold pressed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I have the name of this Fat Doctor, please. I just want to smack some common sense into him/her.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I was initially bothered by fat. I have hypertension. But my hypertension levels are dropping since I went LCHF. I eat a lot more fat than I used to including streaky bacon and fatty mince for example. And my blood glucose, weight and hypertension are dropping, all at the same time.

I fry with extra virgin olive oil or butter, depending on what I am frying.
Extra virgin olive oil or butter. Me too.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The fat doctor I'm on about is the consultant the operated on me after I had 3 heart attacks.
This is the problem I have
Keeping him happy as well as keeping the sugar doctor (diabetic doctor) happy.
The way I see it is that it's all well and good doing without carbs but without carbs your body will shut down and we'll stop sucking wind.
I'm sussing meals with as few of carbs in as possible but I need food with flavour.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Who is the 'Fat doctor'?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
So did the fat doctor aka your cardiac consultant tell you to reduce all fats or just animal fats?