ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Deano72 you have experienced a tool you can use to help you manage your diabetes.
When you're ready you may fight again.... maybe with more or... less effort.

I my experience if you can get a great eating routine with little stress as hibitual 'norm' you will always be a winner.
Some argue yo-yo dieting is damaging. Myself I feel any loss in huge diabetics like me can only be better than constantly adding.
The perfect IR diet is stages which are longterm changes. Positive changes.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went low carb when diagnosed, with no drugs and got into remission that way - weight loss was a bit slower than yours but my numbers where down into normal range quickly and I've now lost nearly 5 stone.
I found I can eat more carbs then some of the others; I started on 100g for a couple of weeks then down to 85g (less one some days as I just didn't need more food). Now that I'm in remission I have up to 100g a day, occasionally just over without any issues.
As far as I am concerned, this is probably for life - there is limited evidence but it suggests that remission disappears back into T2 with more carbs, even though that can take months to show up.
I’m the same - I probably average between 100 -120g per day with my most carby meal usually in the evening. I know what I can eat or eat with moderation, I have the odd cake and don’t tend to worry if I’m somewhere where most of the food is carbier than I would like; I also occasionally experiment to see what effect certain foods have. I had a jacket potato the other day which resulted in a 1.5 rise after 2 hours - tested at 3 hours and it was just slightly lower. If I fancy pasta as opposed to courgetti I cool the cooked pasta under the hot tap and then reheat - that works for me. Rice has got to be the real thing so again that us cooled etc but it raises my BS by about 3.0 so do not have it that often but I will ‘take the hit’ because I love Chilli Con Carne! Scampi and Tortillas are still my nemesis which I mostly avoid but test every few months. I am not complacent by any means but have found a way that works for me, allows me to enjoy my food and eating out with friends, family etc and still keeps my hba1c within the normal range.

M

Member496333

Exactly.I quit testing,got sloppy on diet and didnt see it. I went back into uncontrolled glucose worse than ever.I will never quit testing again.

Deano,that is what is happening to you.Your 'diet' went all over the place after ND.You do have to follow HCLF ( or whatever you decide on),which you havent committed to.You have to be fully committed to beating T2 or its not going to work.....some things you have said....
---------------------------------------------------
I’m guessing that having a couple of pretty high carb days last weekend has spiked me, but it doesn’t want to seem to go back down. Even after going really low carb & high fat for a few days.

What experience is there out there with regard to carb driven BG spikes & how long the hangover from them lasts? (Cheating doesnt work,thats that answer-Spuds)

With regard to blips, so I had a couple of carby days over the bank holiday weekend (hardly a return to old ways, just a bit more carefree than usual)

I have no plans to shrug my shoulders, or return to the bad old days. But to be honest, I’ll never be 100% strict 100% of the time. There’ll always be the occasional straying. Just need to figure out acceptable straying, no go foods & what to expect following a treat. And any tips for reversing temporary harm done from such treats, such as the fasting suggestion.
-----------------------------------------------------

You have to be as fully committed on post ND as you were on ND.You dont have to be 'strict' you have to be reasonable.And reasonable means those carbs are gone.If you want to beat it.One food item slip up can be excusable,days of slip ups are going to destroy you.A 'couple days' of bad wont cut it.You destroy all you have done by bouncing your body around.As you've seen.

Commit FULLY to a post food regimen as fully as you did to ND,you will succeed.Dont,and you wont.

Choice is this...no bread,no pasta,no rice,no potatoes,no starches,no processed carbs period.No grains,no sugars.All else pretty much is edible.This is going to be your new life if you want to live.Its no big deal,its just a new path.A brain reset.

Start reading the diet and glucose number threads,the info is right there.

Test pre and 2 hours post every meal.Record every meal and every result.This is very important,especially early on.After seeing the breakfast meal works,you wont have to test the 'usual',like eggs,bacon,and avocado (whatever),you know its a winner.AFTER you are fully meal tested and adapted,like 2-3 months of controlled glucose levels,start some new testing on foods.

Then and only then can you try a,singular, piece of bread and pre and post test at 60,90-and 120 minutes and even 180 and honestly say if you can afford the increase when you can REALLY see how those numbers are spiking.

Then several days later try a pasta. You are going to find what most of us find,we just cant tolerate those foods.SOME folks can,and thats great,lucky them.....but they are usually also fully invested into serious exercise.I mean serious!

IMO never give up the testing even when you have reached control,you have to stay aware and that keeps you on track.An example testing regime is a fasting in AM and 2 hours after dinner,gives some good insight.When well controlled. It doesnt have to be much,once or twice a day,every day or 2 days,just enough to make darn sure you are still on track and if you see trending up,get more serious about testing.Me,its a minimum twice a day,I need feedback.We all are different though.

Always test new foods.And as pointed out,test the golden oldies too,that we change is very good advice.

You MUST fully commit to your new food regimen.Thats the bottom line as most of us see it.

Good post.

Deano72

I’m the same - I probably average between 100 -120g per day with my most carby meal usually in the evening. I know what I can eat or eat with moderation, I have the odd cake and don’t tend to worry if I’m somewhere where most of the food is carbier than I would like; I also occasionally experiment to see what effect certain foods have. I had a jacket potato the other day which resulted in a 1.5 rise after 2 hours - tested at 3 hours and it was just slightly lower. If I fancy pasta as opposed to courgetti I cool the cooked pasta under the hot tap and then reheat - that works for me. Rice has got to be the real thing so again that us cooled etc but it raises my BS by about 3.0 so do not have it that often but I will ‘take the hit’ because I love Chilli Con Carne! Scampi and Tortillas are still my nemesis which I mostly avoid but test every few months. I am not complacent by any means but have found a way that works for me, allows me to enjoy my food and eating out with friends, family etc and still keeps my hba1c within the normal range.

Haven’t risked any rice yet, but had pasta a couple of times (cooked al dente). BG rose about the same as it does with any meal - just less than 2 at the 2 hour mark. But I was drinking red wine with the food, which always seems to keep the numbers down.
Been reading about cooking & reheating rice & pasta and how that alters the composition of the starch & reduces the impact on BG. So, you’ve tried this & found it works? Must give that a go. Both these foods used to be staples & I miss them. Just can’t bring myself to eat courgetti!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t risked any rice yet, but had pasta a couple of times (cooked al dente). BG rose about the same as it does with any meal - just less than 2 at the 2 hour mark. But I was drinking red wine with the food, which always seems to keep the numbers down.
Been reading about cooking & reheating rice & pasta and how that alters the composition of the starch & reduces the impact on BG. So, you’ve tried this & found it works? Must give that a go. Both these foods used to be staples & I miss them. Just can’t bring myself to eat courgetti!
I find it works better with pasta than rice - courgetti isn’t too bad but that’s as far as I go with substitutes. Tried cauli rice and Keto coconut porridge and disliked both.

Doug_NL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ND takes its toll on muscle as well as fat.
My understanding from what I've read is that muscle loss isn't occurring until you're under 4% body fat. The body will burn fat first as that's the way our system is designed and fat is readily available.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My understanding from what I've read is that muscle loss isn't occurring until you're under 4% body fat. The body will burn fat first as that's the way our system is designed and fat is readily available.

Without resistance training, muscles will tend to be lost with all weight lose. Partly as our muscles have less work to do when we lose weight. Remember any actively that makes your muscles surport load is resistance training, for some people that could be standing up ever 20 minutes to look out of the window if they have been very inactive.

The Newcastle diet tend to result in more muscle lose then a low carb high protein diet, but a lot less muscle lose then long term fasting. (Fasting upto 36 hours have minimal risk of muscle lose.). But as the Newcastle is only for 8 to 12 weeks the muscle lose is limited and can be a less then a losing the same weight with a "moderate" low fat diet.

Reactions: Doug_NL

Deano72

Been scouring the internet for info on these questions, but can’t find answers... So, my hba1c from a test at the end of May was 35, which I’m over the moon with. However, for the past month or two I’m seeing different results from my own testing to what I’ve been used to. On a positive note my pp spikes rarely exceed 1 point & are generally in the range of the high 5’s to the mid 6’s (touching 7 after a treat). But on the flip side my fasting tests are almost always around 6 (5.7 - 6.4) over the last couple of weeks. Now I understand there’s a margin of error built in to the test kit, but I’m seeing these numbers consistently.
My diet is still evolving, but generally taking in around 2000 calories a day & rarely exceed 100g of carbs (spread evenly & very few of the simple form). My exercise regime is pretty good - daily walking &/or cycling) and my weight is stable at around 14 stone 10 +/- about 4lb (over 5 stone down from diagnosis 8 months ago).
It’s coming up 4 months since I finished the Newcastle Diet. Am I seeing the reverse of a temporary benefit from said diet? How important is a slightly elevated fasting BG when everything else looks okay?
If anyone has experienced similar, or can point me towards any possible answers I’d appreciate your comments. Thanks...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been scouring the internet for info on these questions, but can’t find answers... So, my hba1c from a test at the end of May was 35, which I’m over the moon with. However, for the past month or two I’m seeing different results from my own testing to what I’ve been used to. On a positive note my pp spikes rarely exceed 1 point & are generally in the range of the high 5’s to the mid 6’s (touching 7 after a treat). But on the flip side my fasting tests are almost always around 6 (5.7 - 6.4) over the last couple of weeks. Now I understand there’s a margin of error built in to the test kit, but I’m seeing these numbers consistently.
My diet is still evolving, but generally taking in around 2000 calories a day & rarely exceed 100g of carbs (spread evenly & very few of the simple form). My exercise regime is pretty good - daily walking &/or cycling) and my weight is stable at around 14 stone 10 +/- about 4lb (over 5 stone down from diagnosis 8 months ago).
It’s coming up 4 months since I finished the Newcastle Diet. Am I seeing the reverse of a temporary benefit from said diet? How important is a slightly elevated fasting BG when everything else looks okay?
If anyone has experienced similar, or can point me towards any possible answers I’d appreciate your comments. Thanks...

Have you started a new batch of strips by any chance? Some batches can test just a little higher/lower than others, so worth checking that out

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So are you re-adding carbs or still low carbing?
If your diet is evolving so will your bgs be.
I find if all the spikes have been severely reduced it will dramatically keep your bgs down.
Addition spikes even whilst experimenting will increase your hba1c.
I still find the amount of food makes a huge difference.
Are you experimenting by increasing the amount you eat?

Pre Roux-en-y op I could eat 2 bananas (if I wanted high carb food). Now ½ of banana is enough to satisfy me. Of course is a smaller spike too.
I'm on about 600cals 4wks after op. I'm very happy where I am and I'm hoping nothing changes. I have a funny feeling though I'll be encouraged to eat more often but simply cannot on top of all my liquid meds and then water on top.
I'll be very happy to stay on 600 for life now.
I have a varied diet but heavy meat eating is out of the question. I loved locus eating a cooked chicken, a bit at a time. It would take me a few weeks now.
Small eating is great for my bgs and my waist line.

Deano72

Don’t know if anyone is still following this thread, but just had another hba1c result - down to 33 now. Well chuffed...
Interesting thing is that despite broadly following a low carb diet, I have veered off course numerous times in the last 3 months & consumed a significant amount of carbs (mainly beer, as was on holiday in Greece for 4 weeks recently), getting on for half the days covered.
Discussed this with GP, who believes that I can tolerate more sugar because I’m keeping the weight off (steady at around 92kg. Down from 128 last year). Who knows... happy days though. May celebrate with a couple of crackers with my after dinner cheese later!!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've jsut read this whole thread, its an interesting life long journey, well done @Deano72 - still hanging in there