A few asking for low carb food lists....

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a relatively newly diagnosed T2. And I'm utterly confused as to what I can and cannot eat, the more I read the more confused I become. On top of the confusing info out there, there are no afro-Caribbean based recipes! Does anyone have any recipes that are Caribbean based.

I used to love my fruits and 5 a day...!!
This would make an excellent thread on it's own.

The receipes are out there, just put keto or low carb in front of anything you want to search for on the internet.

Meat, fish and chicken with the flavours and spices (minus sweeter sauces/rubs ) do not change. I just use lower carb vegetables to replace the rice, yam, plaintain, potato, roti, cornmeal etc

The pineapple and mango had to go though

Here are some ideas

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/Mylowcarbcaribb/low-carb-caribbean-dishes/
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/ogra48/keto-caribbean/
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/kellykatharincom/jamaican-keto-food/

Pam R

Brilliant! Very useful as I have just started on the low carb diet! I have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes very recently and been advised to try low carb!

Viv19

I'm a relatively newly diagnosed T2. And I'm utterly confused as to what I can and cannot eat, the more I read the more confused I become. On top of the confusing info out there, there are no afro-Caribbean based recipes! Does anyone have any recipes that are Caribbean based.

I used to love my fruits and 5 a day...!!

I agree - I’ve just been standing in the kitchen starving hungry wondering what on earth I can eat. Have ended up with a rather weird combination, no idea if it’s ok. Will check the meter in 2 hrs.

poorleen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being incapacitated
The pound shops and cheap stores do a lot of low carb table sauces.
This is my current collection.
f7a887428ea75128bb69e95746066284.jpg

poorleen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being incapacitated
Thank you for the photo, it's really helpful. I am wandering around this site like a lost soul. I really do appreciate it.

poorleen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being incapacitated
Great list and I'm sure it'll come in very handy for when I go food shopping, I just have one question, on the list of meats I don't see any lamb/mutton/goat there, is that just a preference or should those be avoided?

Thank you for this amazing list of available foods. It really will be a big help to me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! Very useful as I have just started on the low carb diet! I have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes very recently and been advised to try low carb!

Pam - Sincere apologies; I've only just seen your post.

Bearing in mind you have been recently diagnosed, and advised to go low carb, are you confident in adjusting the amount of insulin you might be taking to match your food/carb intake?

When embarking upon a low carb way of eating, for T1s, that really is important.

Reactions: Benchie

djthew21

I'm type 2 and being a very fussy eater there are so many things that I won't eat and most of them are on the low carb diet can anyone help me

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just ran across that
Walden Farms has a tomato pasta sauce that has no calories and no carbs in it per 1/4 cup. It does have Tomato, herbs, natural flavors and sucralose.

I am not a low carber and haven’t tried it, I just thought some of you might want to know about it.

Reactions: Trigger737

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just ran across that
Walden Farms has a tomato pasta sauce that has no calories and no carbs in it per 1/4 cup. It does have Tomato, herbs, natural flavors and sucralose.

I am not a low carber and haven’t tried it, I just thought some of you might want to know about it.

Tomatoes have both carbs and cals unless they are selling some kind of coloured water?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They came out with a line of low carb dressing years ago when Atkins first hit. They introduced them into health food stores first and had a pretty clean list of ingredients They have expanded their variety to sauces etc and carry a decent selection. I don't know how they do it, but they have been at it for years. It doesn't seem to contain just thickeners etc. I remember the Atkins followers used to love their products.

But here is the website

https://www.waldenfarms.com/

Hmj48

Some really fab info on here thank you, I’m a career for my mum who is type 2.

It is her big 70 Birthday next week and would really like to make a cake she could have a slice or two of, anyone know of any recipes?

Xx

Reemap

Hi.. can anyone help me to understand whether fish, egg and chicken are low carb? Can it be eaten in larger quantity .. will it spike the sugar if eaten at lunch and dinner?

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you eat animal products with no coating (batter etc) then they are just about carb free. I would recommend using a BG meter to check your levels before and after eating as some people report large amounts of protein can raise BG levels.

Reemap

If you eat animal products with no coating (batter etc) then they are just about carb free. I would recommend using a BG meter to check your levels before and after eating as some people report large amounts of protein can raise BG levels.
Ok thank you .. I am eating cauli rice for lunch and dinner so just wanted to know what I can add to it to make it interesting to eat.. are there any side effects for eating cauliflower rice as I read somewhere that it is gassy and can also create kidney stones ..

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Reemap , I only eat cauliflower occasionally, mostly in cauliflower cheese, never as rice, but it has no effect on me. Not heard about kidney stones so can't comment on that.