Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Mixed asian veggies with 5 spice seitan, cauliflower rice and mushroom gravy!

@Marie 2 - did you make that seitan and if so, could you post the recipe please? If not, was it a well known make that I might be able to get in the UK? If I ate it once, I could probably work out how to make it.

@Mathilda Grace - welcome to the Boards and this section in particular :happy:

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mathilda Grace - welcome to the Boards and this section in particular :happy:

Thank you!
I've been browsing this thread for a while now and find it very inspiring. :happy:

Btw. you can get seitan from "Lebe Gesund"/"Vitality Life" in the UK. In Germany they have unflavoured seita too, but I don't know if they have the same range of products in the UK.

Reactions: Guna108

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Thank you!
I've been browsing this thread for a while now and find it very inspiring. :happy:

Btw. you can get seitan from "Lebe Gesund"/"Vitality Life" in the UK. In Germany they have unflavoured seita too, but I don't know if they have the same range of products in the UK.

I can buy it over here but I usually make my own; I have several recipes and they all make a different seitan, but they're all good. I prefer to make my own wherever possible so that I know exactly what has gone into it, but its really handy to know some bought makes, so thank you.

I don't have a recipe for the five spice seitan that @Marie 2 mentioned but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with my basic recipe.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Soy-Coconut-Yoghurt with chopped-up almonds, peanuts, coconut, hazelnuts and vanilla and some strawberries
L: Soy-Coconut-Yoghurt with chopped-up almonds, peanuts, coconut, hazelnuts and vanilla and some strawberries (I know, its the same. I just love it and my body loves it and, frankly, I could eat it three times a day or more :D)
Snack: a handful of mixed and unsalted nuts
D: 2 slices of proteinbread, butter, cheese and tomatoes

Reactions: WuTwo

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@WuTwo. Yea I bought it, but it is a very traditional flavor, I think the very mild slight sweet with cinnamon and some cloves come through the most. You could easily duplicate it when you are used to cooking!!, It's a traditional blend so there should be recipes out there. That way you could also get the flavors down to what you like best. They have a sichuan flavored one I want to try next! Rice and Chinese food go together, but rice has always been more of a problem for me so using the cauliflower rice worked really well with it.

Hodo Organic Tofu Puffs*
(Hodo Organic Tofu [Water, Organic Soybeans, Calcium Sulfate], Soybean Oil*), Water, Apple Juice*, Gluten-Free Tamari* (Water, Soybeans*, Salt, Alcohol*), Brown Sugar*, Asian Five-Spice* (Star Anise*, Cinnamon*, Fennel*, Cloves*, Black Pepper*).

https://www.hodofoods.com/product-details/chinese-5-spice-nuggets

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Marie 2 - I reckon if I use the Seitan Tender recipe and add Tamari, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and a dollop of garlic powder (lotsa vampires in my area ...) they should come out OK. If I make them once like that then I can see how they are and tweak if I feel I need to.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It's Friday, it was a loooooong work week and today it was just frantic with a very last minute full set of accounts to produce. Ugh!

I am tired, so husband is doing me some jackfruit burgers with steamed cauliflower and broccoli. Afterwards I shall have strawberries and alpro yoghurt.

Tomorrow I shall cook but today I want a shower, to put my feet up and and be looked after!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Today is planned out as:

B. 2 vegan sausages, mushrooms, half a tin of cherry toms, parmegan scattered on top. Followed by oat milk with 3tsp milled flaxseed. (Want my calcium, ALA and EPA!)

L. Buddha bowl of mixed salad/veg, with sunflower seeds, parmegan and (rather a lot, cos I love it) basil infused olive oil on top.

D. Large portion creamy garlic coconut mushrooms (one of my favourite recipes for mushrooms - @guna - it would work without the garlic), seitan steak, fried sliced mixed peppers, steamed cauliflower. The mushrooms come with a sauce, and if you make slightly more sauce than is needed for the mushrooms it works well as a sauce for the seitan.

Drinks - Water, black coffee (no sweetener), rooibos tea (no milk/sweetener).

I wasn't consciously working to reduce the carbs but the whole lot comes out at about 52g. Most odd. But, I'll go with the flow. Tomorrow I might want to cook something completely different!

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

While making the mushrooms in sauce to go with dinner, I was thinking about lunch bowls. One thing lead to another and I ended up mixing up a batch of sweet & smokey marinade and putting a tin of rinsed chickeas in it. I can add a spoonful to my daily bowl :happy:

Also, I dug out a recipe for a blueberry cake which just happens to need the aquafaba from a tin of chickpeas - total win!

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Hodo BBQ tofu with veggies and cauliflower rice. Soo good!!!

I also melted some chocolate and added some coconut and pecans for treats!!!

I also made the parmegan with two thirds cashews and one third nutritional yeast. I had unsalted nuts so I added some veg-sal to it. Go easy on that, it doesn't take much if you are used to lower salt levels. It doesn't come out with quite the same taste but still really good. I think the macadamias have a little stronger flavor. I have wanted to do that because then I don't have to worry about the doggy getting leftovers and getting hold of some of the macadamia nuts.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I think the macadamias have a little stronger flavor. I have wanted to do that because then I don't have to worry about the doggy getting leftovers and getting hold of some of the macadamia nuts.

I was thinking about trying it with cashew and walnut (they're sooo good for you) with the nooch. Like you I worry a bit about the dogs but I store my parmegan in a kilner jar with the lid clip tight closed, so I don't think they'd get into it. Also, want to see what sort of difference swapping the macadamia nuts out makes.

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

B. Home made seitan bacon, scrambled tofu, tinned toms, parmegan.

L. Chopped veggies/salad stuff, sunflower seeds, parmegan, walnut oil.

D. One M&S Plant Life vegan sweetcorn & chickpea burger (not had these before), edamame beans, asparagus, creamy coconut garlic mushrooms. Followed by strawberries and Alpro coconut yoghurt.

Drinks: Black coffee - unsweetened, 3 mugs (at breakfast), flat leaf parsley/thyme tea, rooibos tea, water.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You might have tried this already. An employee I had put chili on almost everything. But as a snack at work all the time and now too.

Take whole edamame beans and chili powder, veg salt, and margarine, make sure they are all coated. Micro them and they come out delicious. We usually used frozen ones and don’t overcook them.. I find the beans being firm inside not mushy is nicer.

You can substitute garlic powder instead of chili.
Quick, easy and healthy

Reactions: WuTwo and Guna108

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No breakfast today but lunch was tofu scramble with cauliflower and mushrooms. Think dinner will be quiche and salad.

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I keep meaning to have a different lunch but I love my bowls of raw veg/salad with the toppings. In truth they're different every day because the veg is whatever is in the fridge (except the tomatoes - there's always cherry tomatoes). The parmegan and sunflower seeds are constant but the infused oil changes.

Today I really branched out and had a bought mixed stir fry (raw) in my bowl and just added chopped cucumber and yellow peppers. That was good too!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love veggie bowls for the same reason. I get various frozen blends, although mostly it’s broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mix and I add a variety of seitan or tofu and that gives it a different flavor. Sometimes I add the Parmegan, gravy, cashews or margarine for a difference too. I probably eat that as my main meal of the day 4 or 5 days a week. A huge bowl and it’s easy and I really like it.

I guess we probably all have our favorite go to meal a lot.

Reactions: WuTwo and Guna108

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Tonight I am having a seitan tendersteak, steamed broccoli and I am going to stuff a yellow pepper with some bought nut roast mix but I'll cut the mix with some very small diced veggies. That way there's some nut mix to act as a sort of flavour base for the stuffing, but the veg will make it tastier and less claggy. I can make a sauce to go with that lot. Follow it with blueberries and d/f yoghurt.

I have to say that totally worked. I made an Italian herb sauce (used the one from here https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/12-seitan-or-tofu-marinades/

Husband shared the stuffed pepper, sauce, broccoli and had a jacket potato plus a sweetcorn & chickpea burger with it.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and picked up some fresh green beans and had a HUGE bowl of Green Beans with Earth Balance Margarine for lunch. Mmmm so good!

I also got some fresh zucchini, green onion, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes, I think I'll have that for dinner and am trying to figure out if I want to add the cherry tomatoes to the squash when I cook it. I love marinara sauce over zucchini noodles, but I have yellow squash too soooo...............a happy puzzlement!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and picked up some fresh green beans and had a HUGE bowl of Green Beans with Earth Balance Margarine for lunch. Mmmm so good!

I also got some fresh zucchini, green onion, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes, I think I'll have that for dinner and am trying to figure out if I want to add the cherry tomatoes to the squash when I cook it. I love marinara sauce over zucchini noodles, but I have yellow squash too soooo...............a happy puzzlement!

Go on, chuck in the tomatoes - eat a rainbow!!