What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a b... But go for it Johnpol! I have a theory that the younger you are with these procedures, the better it is. I had sedation for each cataract op - obviously it’s not something you would choose to do for fun of your free will but it’s best over with. Sometimes it’s possible to wait too long.
I suppose it all depends on whether you trust your surgeon. Mine is very grumpy but good, so if he says something then I believe him.
Both consultants I have seen regarding this complication are good, I am just very reticent to have another eye surgery, its only been 14 months since my first operation, and I really don't want to hear the fabled words "I just have to cut this part of the eye out" again if I'm honest (I was awake for both operations one was ok one was not so pleasant), but I know it will have to have it done, not back until August to see the consultant and then say Yes or No to the operation.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the birthday wishes and good luck with the planners and sale. The processed food issue is interesting. Whilst there is a long list of ingredients in many processed foods there is no equivalent list of all the chemicals and antibiotics used in rearing animals or growing these whole foods - the air round here is often thick with sprays. The rate of resowing and harvesting salad crops I see is just not possible naturally Food production and animal husbandry now is nothing like it was when I was born. Even growing food from seed is problematic - modern seeds are obviously highly engineered.. Cut the girl some slack - this is a moat and beam argument.

Good point well made, but no slack - baiting her was yesterday’s sport. This evening it’ll be someone else’s turn. It’s all good natured family stuff.

Reactions: Shas3 and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday to you @ianpspurs hope you have a good day
Thank you for the good wishes. I hope the decision you must make about eye surgery can be made easier with more information of the reassuring kind. Big boy now and as I read every morning, as we rejoice in the gift of this new day, these are all good days and not to be taken for granted.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hugs over this.

There is never a right time for anything. And even if it is inconvenient/almost impossible, I always find the right time is now.

I hope you find a solution for this. There will be a solution somewhere, somehow.

Once when I sold my house, on the very day I put it up for sale, and the buyers wanted to move in very quickly. I said I was unable to sort and pack up in time. It was an old 13 roomed Edwardian house where I had brought up my children and so was absolutely filled with stuff. The buyers said you can leave everything behind if you want, we are happy to have it all. So I cleared out important personal stuff, loaded my car with 10 cats in baskets (I had 10 cats at the time), the dog, my paper 25mm photographs I had taken over the years, my favourite feather pillows, and personal paperwork and writing. And some clothes! And I handed over the keys and drove off into the sunset.

It was actually very therapeutic to do that. But I am a collector and hoarder, and I have collected and hoarded again....

I am sure when you wake up in the morning you will have some ideas.

Good luck x

>^..^<

Just a question to anyone on here...what would you take from your house/flat/where you live if you had to move quickly, and had to make a decision what to leave behind? What would you load your car or taxi with?

Thanks @gennepher .

I would take my cat, my guitar, my favourite irreplaceable books, my laptop and TV and printer, and my favorite clothes. Towels and sheets and the microwave and enough dishes for the cat and me.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 this Wednesday morning.

Happy Birthday, @ianpspurs ! Hugs for the naproxen and also for a wonderful day despite it.

@johnpol hugs for your eye problems. I have no intention of having cataract surgery until I absolutely have to. Some friends have told me theirs was a snap -- done in a few minutes and no complications; one friend's was a nightmare and left her with a eye infection. She is fine now, but advises me to avoid it if possible. so ...

Thank you all for the hugs about the move. I have to call the guy in about half an hour or so.

I see that it is raining in Berkshire this afternoon. Their weather today is much like the weather here, only cooler.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this Wednesday morning.

Happy Birthday, @ianpspurs ! Hugs for the naproxen and also for a wonderful day despite it.

@johnpol hugs for your eye problems. I have no intention of having cataract surgery until I absolutely have to. Some friends have told me theirs was a snap -- done in a few minutes and no complications; one friend's was a nightmare and left her with a eye infection. She is fine now, but advises me to avoid it if possible. so ...

Thank you all for the hugs about the move. I have to call the guy in about half an hour or so.

I see that it is raining in Berkshire this afternoon. Their weather today is much like the weather here, only cooler.
Thank you for the hug and good wishes. I hope the phone call will provide a solution to allow you to relocate at a time that suits you. Praying for you.

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the birthday wishes and good luck with the planners and sale. The processed food issue is interesting. Whilst there is a long list of ingredients in many processed foods there is no equivalent list of all the chemicals and antibiotics used in rearing animals or growing these whole foods - the air round here is often thick with sprays. The rate of resowing and harvesting salad crops I see is just not possible naturally Food production and animal husbandry now is nothing like it was when I was born. Even growing food from seed is problematic - modern seeds are obviously highly engineered.. Cut the girl some slack - this is a moat and beam argument.

I appreciate what you said about processed foods and crop spraying. I would rather not eat processed foods, but what bothers me more is the frankenfruits I have been seeing in recent years. Watermelons and grapes come to mind immediately -- they have no seeds now. I don't even want to know how they got here. And it amazes me that people of my own generation, or older, have no problem with this -- in fact they say it is so convenient not having to deal with the seeds!?!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate what you said about processed foods and crop spraying. I would rather not eat processed foods, but what bothers me more is the frankenfruits I have been seeing in recent years. Watermelons and grapes come to mind immediately -- they have no seeds now. I don't even want to know how they got here. And it amazes me that people of my own generation, or older, have no problem with this -- in fact they say it is so convenient not having to deal with the seeds!?!

Frankenfruits Brilliant!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a great result, and better really than if you’d thought just about your step count - then it becomes a chore. Being busy is the best way.
You are right - I never walk to increase my step count but walk to get places and do things. What's really funny is that we keep Sundays (my day off) for walking around the lovely countryside here in Norfolk and we rarely do more steps than I do on a normal working day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right - I never walk to increase my step count but walk to get places and do things. What's really funny is that we keep Sundays (my day off) for walking around the lovely countryside here in Norfolk and we rarely do more steps than I do on a normal working day.

I can imagine that- I also find that when I ‘go out for a walk’ I often walk a lot slower as I’m enjoying the scenery and not rushing to get anywhere, whereas on a normal busy day I might rush around to get places so end up doing more steps and a more aerobic workout.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can imagine that- I also find that when I ‘go out for a walk’ I often walk a lot slower as I’m enjoying the scenery and not rushing to get anywhere, whereas on a normal busy day I might rush around to get places so end up doing more steps and a more aerobic workout.
Yes - that's exactly what happens. We amble along enjoying the scenery and chatting to other dog walkers. If course there is then the visit to a cafe or tea room - so a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing day and probably a good thing as it is the complete opposite of a normal working day.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
happy birthday ian have a fab day xx

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the hug and good wishes. I hope the phone call will provide a solution to allow you to relocate at a time that suits you. Praying for you.

Thank you so much for your prayers. An update: I just got off the phone with the guy. We had a really nice conversation and he cleared up what I misunderstood yesterday. He only wants to start the paperwork at this point. He will send me a letter, then I will start getting the paperwork together and send that to him, then he will process it, and THEN I will need to get a ride up there for an interview, and to see the property.

So now I am breathing again! Now I can relax and enjoy more coffee and an actual breakfast, sit back and watch the rest of these races today. Absolutely pouring down at Ascot but I do like the Union Jack umbrellas.

Keep celebrating your big day today! Praying for you too. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your prayers. An update: I just got off the phone with the guy. We had a really nice conversation and he cleared up what I misunderstood yesterday. He only wants to start the paperwork at this point. He will send me a letter, then I will start getting the paperwork together and send that to him, then he will process it, and THEN I will need to get a ride up there for an interview, and to see the property.

So now I am breathing again! Now I can relax and enjoy more coffee and an actual breakfast, sit back and watch the rest of these races today. Absolutely pouring down at Ascot but I do like the Union Jack umbrellas.

Keep celebrating your big day today! Praying for you too. :)
Phone call sounds really positive so now enjoy your coffee and breakfast, Really pleased for you.

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes - that's exactly what happens. We amble along enjoying the scenery and chatting to other dog walkers. If course there is then the visit to a cafe or tea room - so a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing day and probably a good thing as it is the complete opposite of a normal working day.

As I first started reading your post I thought of it as a response to maybe @ianpspurs about our lives in general ... and then I realized ... your post sounds exactly like my idea of an ideal life. Just ambling along enjoying the scenery and chatting with other people who are of like minds and interests. And then the sit-down for a meal.

Actually it's kinda like my life was for some great years -- spending a lot of time standing around holding the lead rope of a horse who was grazing along outside the fence, just standing around in the peace and quiet and not wanting to be any place else on earth ... wet or dry, mud or dust, just sheer joy.