1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Thank you for the good wishes. I hope the decision you must make about eye surgery can be made easier with more information of the reassuring kind. Big boy now and as I read every morning, as we rejoice in the gift of this new day, these are all good days and not to be taken for granted.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @gennepher .

I would take my cat, my guitar, my favourite irreplaceable books, my laptop and TV and printer, and my favorite clothes. Towels and sheets and the microwave and enough dishes for the cat and me.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. SaskiaKC

5.8 this Wednesday morning.

Happy Birthday, @ianpspurs ! Hugs for the naproxen and also for a wonderful day despite it.

@johnpol hugs for your eye problems. I have no intention of having cataract surgery until I absolutely have to. Some friends have told me theirs was a snap -- done in a few minutes and no complications; one friend's was a nightmare and left her with a eye infection. She is fine now, but advises me to avoid it if possible. so ...

Thank you all for the hugs about the move. I have to call the guy in about half an hour or so.

I see that it is raining in Berkshire this afternoon. Their weather today is much like the weather here, only cooler.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ianpspurs

Thank you for the hug and good wishes. I hope the phone call will provide a solution to allow you to relocate at a time that suits you. Praying for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. SaskiaKC

I appreciate what you said about processed foods and crop spraying. I would rather not eat processed foods, but what bothers me more is the frankenfruits I have been seeing in recent years. Watermelons and grapes come to mind immediately -- they have no seeds now. I don't even want to know how they got here. And it amazes me that people of my own generation, or older, have no problem with this -- in fact they say it is so convenient not having to deal with the seeds!?!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. SaskiaKC

Thank you so much.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Frankenfruits Brilliant!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You are right - I never walk to increase my step count but walk to get places and do things. What's really funny is that we keep Sundays (my day off) for walking around the lovely countryside here in Norfolk and we rarely do more steps than I do on a normal working day.

• Like Like x 10
  9. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can imagine that- I also find that when I ‘go out for a walk’ I often walk a lot slower as I’m enjoying the scenery and not rushing to get anywhere, whereas on a normal busy day I might rush around to get places so end up doing more steps and a more aerobic workout.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Krystyna23040

Yes - that's exactly what happens. We amble along enjoying the scenery and chatting to other dog walkers. If course there is then the visit to a cafe or tea room - so a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing day and probably a good thing as it is the complete opposite of a normal working day.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

happy birthday ian have a fab day xx

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ianpspurs

Thank you karen.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SaskiaKC

Thank you so much for your prayers. An update: I just got off the phone with the guy. We had a really nice conversation and he cleared up what I misunderstood yesterday. He only wants to start the paperwork at this point. He will send me a letter, then I will start getting the paperwork together and send that to him, then he will process it, and THEN I will need to get a ride up there for an interview, and to see the property.

So now I am breathing again! Now I can relax and enjoy more coffee and an actual breakfast, sit back and watch the rest of these races today. Absolutely pouring down at Ascot but I do like the Union Jack umbrellas.

Keep celebrating your big day today! Praying for you too. :)

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  14. ianpspurs

Phone call sounds really positive so now enjoy your coffee and breakfast, Really pleased for you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. SaskiaKC

As I first started reading your post I thought of it as a response to maybe @ianpspurs about our lives in general ... and then I realized ... your post sounds exactly like my idea of an ideal life. Just ambling along enjoying the scenery and chatting with other people who are of like minds and interests. And then the sit-down for a meal.

Actually it's kinda like my life was for some great years -- spending a lot of time standing around holding the lead rope of a horse who was grazing along outside the fence, just standing around in the peace and quiet and not wanting to be any place else on earth ... wet or dry, mud or dust, just sheer joy.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SaskiaKC

Thank you. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Krystyna23040

That really does sound idyllic - the sheer joy of just being in the moment.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. Bildad

Bildad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@gennepher I have often thought if I had to get out in an emergency what would I take?
    I would take the 2 dogs, my phone and tablet, my little book with all my passwords in (I am at that age!) and the fire proof box with all the important documents in. Otherwise the rest is just stuff and stuff can be replaced.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. SaskiaKC

I hope it will too. Please give her a hug from me (if appropriate) I live in an independent-living, government-subsidized, senior apartment building, and the new one is one too. My best to your mother-in-law.

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just in from a nice afternoon catching up with an old friend, lots of tea involved. @ianpspurs hope you have had a happy birthday and maybe indulge in a little tot of what you like before bed. @SaskiaKC thank goodness the panic has abated I was worried for you and the KC. I think the older we get its the people (and pets) we love that matter the most, anything else is very much unimportant. If we ever move it will be a small move for the removal firm as most of our furniture is destined for the tip. The photos and the boys’ files will be the most valuable.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook