Low carb bread

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it isn't bread, but it is very low carb and can be used for wraps which you might like
It is a video of how to make flax seed wraps. It seems like it will be similar to a thick roti. It is vegan.

Reactions: WuTwo

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it isn't bread, but it is very low carb and can be used for wraps which you might like
It is a video of how to make flax seed wraps. It seems like it will be similar to a thick roti. It is vegan.

Loads of us have done all that substitution thing over the years and simply don't bother now. Some of us can't limit our intake for such things, for some it's still too much like carbs and many of us simply don't eat anything unless its from an animal.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Loads of us have done all that substitution thing over the years and simply don't bother now. Some of us can't limit our intake for such things, for some it's still too much like carbs and many of us simply don't eat anything unless its from an animal.

Everyone is different. :) I think I am still trying to make sense of what my T2 diagnosis will mean for me and just wanted to share a recipe I thought might be useful for some.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Burgen Soya and Linseed bread is the lowest I could find for the size. ~11g carb per slice and 7g of protein.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Burgen Soya and Linseed bread is the lowest I could find for the size. ~11g carb per slice and 7g of protein.
11g per slice is still pretty high for some people. Even I need insulin for that.
OP can bake their own bread with a keto recipe and freeze extra portions for another day.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
11g per slice is still pretty high for some people. Even I need insulin for that.
OP can bake their own bread with a keto recipe and freeze extra portions for another day.

I don't think any type 1 would not need insulin for that or any bread. But as its soya and linseed it has a lower glycemic index of 49 compare to 70+ for most breads, so the peak is much slower.

Also at 11g per slice (44g) that's around 25% carbs which is lower than other bread. I stopped eating bread before I found this and its much more manageable with correct insulin dosage. Obviously its trial and error as everyone will find it different.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waitrose do a lovely seeded low carb bread called "Livlife". Only 3.8g carbs per slice. Highly recommended. Also Hovis do a Lower Carb bread - most supermarkets seem to have it - but it is about 9g Carb per slice, so a lot more than the Waitrose one.

I have more or less kicked the bread habit, but my prediabetic partner still enjoys a bit and the Livlife loaf does well - we keep an extra loaf in the freezer as don't get to buy Waitrose that often!!

EDIT forgot to add, Lo-Dough is quite good although not really a bread substitute as such and quite pricey - makes a great low carb pizza base though, if you like thin, crispy bases.

Reactions: Paulm80

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The vast majority of breads labelled as low carb are just smaller and thinner slices than regular higher quality breads.

Reactions: LalaALH and jjraak

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
We just pass on what we discovered and I'm very happy that I make a difference.
It's supremely appreciated because without this so many people would be in the dark.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Livlife 3.8g per slice - I buy it occasionally from Ocado. (ETA @CondorX - you beat me to it!) But if I want "bread" I make my own versions with ground almonds, or walnut or sesame meal/flour, or sometimes paleo bread with all sorts of nuts/seeds in. I see no reason why I shouldn't bake using good low carb ingredients - nuts, eggs, butter or oil. It's just another way for me to eat these and certainly never encourages any cravings for genuine high carb versions. (And I have actually on one or two rare occasions eaten a slice of husband's lowish carb wheat base seeded bread from our local bakers without any desire to scoff the whole lot!)o_O

Robbity

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Livlife 3.8g per slice - I buy it occasionally from Ocado. (ETA @CondorX - you beat me to it!) But if I want "bread" I make my own versions with ground almonds, or walnut or sesame meal/flour, or sometimes paleo bread with all sorts of nuts/seeds in. I see no reason why I shouldn't bake using good low carb ingredients - nuts, eggs, butter or oil. It's just another way for me to eat these and certainly never encourages any cravings for genuine high carb versions. (And I have actually on one or two rare occasions eaten a slice of husband's lowish carb wheat base seeded bread from our local bakers without any desire to scoff the whole lot!)o_O

Robbity

I agree completely. Sometimes, though, there is no time to bake one's own, and the Livlife and other lower carb options, are much better than the 22g-per-slice-carb-loaded breads out there, whether the slices are thinner, smaller or whatever.

Paulm80

Waitrose do a lovely seeded low carb bread called "Livlife". Only 3.8g carbs per slice. Highly recommended. Also Hovis do a Lower Carb bread - most supermarkets seem to have it - but it is about 9g Carb per slice, so a lot more than the Waitrose one.

I have more or less kicked the bread habit, but my prediabetic partner still enjoys a bit and the Livlife loaf does well - we keep an extra loaf in the freezer as don't get to buy Waitrose that often!!

EDIT forgot to add, Lo-Dough is quite good although not really a bread substitute as such and quite pricey - makes a great low carb pizza base though, if you like thin, crispy bases.

That’s why I brought it, I’ll pop into Waitrose and get a few loafs, it’s breakfast I’m struggling with as I don’t have time to cook anything fancy, at least I can have a slice of that - thanks

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My "bread" recipes are similar to @Mel dCP's and don't take very long to make and bake. I now have all the time in the world, but I've had issues with my hand so Livlife is a good backup. I think both are denser and more filling than normal breads too.

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s why I brought it, I’ll pop into Waitrose and get a few loafs, it’s breakfast I’m struggling with as I don’t have time to cook anything fancy, at least I can have a slice of that - thanks
Skip breakfast entirely and extend your overnight fast.. coffee with cream maybe instead of stodgy food?

Paulm80

My "bread" recipes are similar to @Mel dCP's and don't take very long to make and bake. I now have all the time in the world, but I've had issues with my hand so Livlife is a good backup. I think both are denser and more filling than normal breads too.

Robbity

I wouldn’t have a clue how to make bread! In a bread maker?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m having whole grain cereal at the mo, I do quite a manual job so I need to keep the energy up a bit
Energy comes from protein and fats.. try to keep away from carbs.. hard boiled eggs or cold meats would be better than cereal of any kind for breakfast. A whole lot of people go to the gym and lift weights fasted (and get better results).
Try it you might be surprised .... fatty coffee will give you plenty of energy.

Paulm80

Energy comes from protein and fats.. try to keep away from carbs.. hard boiled eggs or cold meats would be better than cereal of any kind for breakfast. A whole lot of people go to the gym and lift weights fasted (and get better results).
Try it you might be surprised .... fatty coffee will give you plenty of energy.

Don’t drink coffee only tea, I will give it a go though