What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. I would echo “good morning” several times as there has been at least two false starts as far as I can remember.
The tissue of lies flung my way by the wonder wheel of deception and ambushes was firstly a 5.0 and on a second go, half an hour later at 6.1. Now, 3 and a half hours later and eventually sliding downstairs for a mug of tea, 6.8.

I typically got the whole story wrong yesterday about our grandsons footy tournament. He was of course, silly grandad, “guesting” for a league 1 team in a Champions League competition (he plays for North Yorkshire but his current club are down in league 3). Next season he will be in an under 11 team where full rules apply; the waving of yellow and red cards, being sent off for messing up - that sort of stuff.

Anyhow, have a wonderful Sunday if you can. Mrs Miggins and her sisters are off to a Cystic Fibrosis thing today so I will be left unsupervised. Walking boots or motorcycle?
@dunelm have a good day unsupervised. Thanks for the thoughts on moving and for being prepared to put yourself in harms way on my behalf ambivalent about the spin or no. @Viv19 animal welfare is a concern. The area we are looking to move to in Suffolk has huge open fields of pigs free to roam.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
but it’s just land and bricks in the end, children and Grandchildren are more precious.
I thought I'd be bereft when I sold up in London...lived there all my life until 6 years ago....at my last address for over thirty years...not a bit of it DJC all my memories came with me & many of them seem so much more poignant when I look back..it is an adjustment when you remove all that's familiar however the memories of that time are what counts...those are the precious items you take with you.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm your grandson is clearly a very talented footballer. Brought back memories of when our eldest played for our town team from U8s through to U16s and we and our younger lad went to every Sunday morning match in all weathers home or away. Then in the summer there were the tournaments. I dont know how we fitted it all in now, forever packing up picnics and flasks of hot drinks. It as a lovely sociable time for him and us. I hope your grandson does very well.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is a lovely idea gennepher. But I know that the muddle would prove too much for me.
I was thinking shoe boxes. If photos are noted on the back that might be enough for the children and grandchildren to have. There is always a huge interest in ancestors, especially more recently with records being put on line. So often there is an unnamed photo of a few grim looking ancestors- their expressions probably down to having to freeze their faces for the ages it took to take the pic. It’s always interesting to know there’s a photo of gg Grandad ..... I wish more of the pictures in Dad’s cupboard had some kind of notes on. Who, where, when. He can still tell me but Mum’s family pics were not all written on. Such a shame.

Shoe boxes sounds a great idea as well. That is an easy way. It is definitely a less stressful way of sorting the photos. And memory notes could be placed in the shoe box. @DJC3

When I was a child, the old photos were in a small battered leather suitcase. So if I was sick in bed as a child, I was warned to stay in bed and not get out until she came home, and my mother went out to work leaving me on my own for the day, I had two things, the battered leather suitcase with old photos in, and a National Milk tin full of old buttons which I played with and sorted.

>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...sunny at the moment but getting ready for the deluge that is predicted later today...watching the Andrew Mars show of course the big news is Boris Johnson...I did see some of the 'hustings' (when did we start calling it this) and Boris Johnson was exceptionally clumsy in refusing to answer the obvious questions he would be asked (no prizes for guessing what would be put to him)... reminded me of an Eton educated Desperate Dan (see the Dandy Comic)… more coffee please...double cream this morning...woke to a 6.3.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my mother went out to work leaving me on my own for the day, I had two things, the battered leather suitcase with old photos in, and a National Milk tin full of old buttons which I played with and sorted.
My Mother would have to leave us at home when she went out to work too gennepher… I remember clearly waiting for the door to close then I'd be straight into her wardrobe looking though her various handbags...I always found some treasure there...the rouge...the block mascara & of course the perfume we would buy her on her birthday An Evening In Paris (by Woolworth) oh I so enjoyed those times.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Mother would have to leave us at home when she went out to work too gennepher… I remember clearly waiting for the door to close then I'd be straight into her wardrobe looking though her various handbags...I always found some treasure there...the rouge...the block mascara & of course the perfume we would buy her on her birthday An Evening In Paris (by Woolworth) oh I so enjoyed those times.
I did a bit of exploring through my mother's wardrobe as well...interesting...

>^..^<

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, another 6.0 on the testing dice, I was planning on skipping breakfast until I read the posts about frying bacon and mushrooms, now I could eat a scabby donkey.

So right @PenguinMum , we had a family bbq yesterday as well, and there was a pile of cooked burgers, sausages and ribs left over, fortunately all taken away by the hordes so nothing wasted.

@ianpspurs , I can totally relate to being "in sync" with a place, the OH and I rattle around our house now and she sometimes mentions the dread "downsize" word and I'm sure the day will come when we do, but hopefully that's a long way off. Man hugs bro.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Warning this posting may contain offensive wording to those of a sensitive nature and also no sense of the absurd, please, please don't read anyfurther.

Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, but not politicians and those heavily into censorship.
People went to war, gave their lives for free speech, as one of the contributors to this thread so eloquently pointed out. I'm a firm believer in the Issac Asimov's saying " Violence is the last resort of the incompetent " I also like the Pink Floyd song which I think is called " Keep Talking " , again I seem to remember the lyrics were read by Professor Steven Hawkins.

Today a gleeful 4.5 leapt out of the meter waving it's arms at me saying "No driving or riding your motorbike for you this morning. Then disappeared in a cloud of methane before I could reply.

The BBC's work of science fiction and fantasy ( the weather forecast ) is predicting fine weather, so folks make the most of it, me and me's intend to, before Mrs J interferes. Must go medication to take and get out in sorry HER garden.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
morning all.

the stress of packing for the hols.
still gave me a 5.7 on the sugar richter scale.

Getting a lift to airport (luton) so should be stress free once we leave house.
mein Fuhrer has already posted a full itinerary marking out each hour daily..:D

sure to keep to some of it, but sure we'll skip a little bit here and there.

Stay safe all, happy numbers..:happy:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.8 this morning

later posting today because I decided to do a backup of my computer system and program files, took ages but it's a necessary step, you only have to lose your stuff once to know it needs doing ;) most other picture and photo files are backed up on a separate drive already. Don't think I can claim the calories as 'housework' though :hilarious:

If it stays dry we may attack a bit of undergrowth at mum's with the strimmer then get out the 'barbie' and eat outside. burgers, sausage and chicken with a salad followed by trifle :) probably then followed by a dog walk.

Hope your day treats you well :)

ja1nuk

Good morning folks, another 6.0 on the testing dice, I was planning on skipping breakfast until I read the posts about frying bacon and mushrooms, now I could eat a scabby donkey.

So right @PenguinMum , we had a family bbq yesterday as well, and there was a pile of cooked burgers, sausages and ribs left over, fortunately all taken away by the hordes so nothing wasted.

@ianpspurs , I can totally relate to being "in sync" with a place, the OH and I rattle around our house now and she sometimes mentions the dread "downsize" word and I'm sure the day will come when we do, but hopefully that's a long way off. Man hugs bro.

That will be the scabby donkey between 2 bread vans one assumes? Not heard that one in ages! Had a little chuckle

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
morning all.

Have a great time and very much looking forward to the Cypriot correspondent posting.

Reactions: gennepher

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
morning all.

Enjoy your time away jjaark...wave as you go past... we're en route' to Luton Airport

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be heart wrenching to leave those memories and familiarity. But you’re right- the memories go with you so they’re not lost. Dad talks a lot nowadays about his childhood and youth in the navy (at 93 in a few weeks those memories are stronger) - they had their house bombed when he was early teens. In Ipswich and not near the docks, so probably a bomber dumping an extra bomb on his way home. The bomb exploded a couple of hours later in their front garden but they were immediately evacuated and not allowed to collect their treasures. I’ve always thought that that must be the most terrible wrench, to lose every single physical treasure and memory.
We’ve had to move very often during my life, so I can’t imagine having spent so many years in one place. Until OH retired early, the longest I’d lived in one place was about 7 years. Living a long time in your childhood home must be very special. But moving on can make you feel lighter too, when everything has been sorted and the unnecessary has been disposed of.

You’re right, there are definite positives to be gained from moving on. I don’t want to end up with Miss Havisham tendencies.
Your dads stories sound very moving. I was too late with my dad - wish I’d thought of it sooner, but you can get a book made of people’s lives - an interviewer comes to chat to them over several sessions I think and at the end collates all the memories into a ‘This is Your Life’ sort of book. Otherwise, like @gennepher suggested, write them down for the future. These sort of experiences will soon be lost to popular memory.
I did get my dad a dictaphone to record him singing some of his favourite old music hall songs, it’s lovely listening now as it reminds me of my childhood - he used to sing a lot of those songs to me and my brother at bedtime - looking back, many were quite inappropriate really, but quite innocent by today’s standard.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 but woke late and probs had too much meat for supper. Why do when we bbq take the amount of meat we would normally cook and x2 or even x3. Of course I didnt have to eat so much but when there is a large plate of mixed meat smelling wonderful. Anyone else have this issue?
@ianpspurs so glad you got two great offers though understand it is tinged with mixed feelings. I think it is difficult for you and @DJC3 to have lived in your family home forever and then leave for pastures new. I think the key is to hopefully find somewhere you that you actually like. Best wishes to each of you.
@Bildad that is an enviable number so dont be down.@pavlosn great number again hope your son arrives safely and has a whale of a time.
Not sure what the weather is going to do here today but another day mostly in the garden like yesterday. Thunderstorms expected tonight, maybe.
Have a great Sunday everyone. Stay well stay safe.

Yes I definitely have that problem with bbq’s! It’s ridiculous, I’d never eat that amount of meat for an ordinary dinner - as you say, it would last a week.
Thanks for the thoughts re moving. I am looking forward to the future, so that does help. We’re not being forced out.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd be bereft when I sold up in London...lived there all my life until 6 years ago....at my last address for over thirty years...not a bit of it DJC all my memories came with me & many of them seem so much more poignant when I look back..it is an adjustment when you remove all that's familiar however the memories of that time are what counts...those are the precious items you take with you.

That’s very encouraging @Bubbsie thank you. I think you’re right that the best memories come with us. It is sometimes too easy to get maudlin when I look round these gradually emptying rooms and remember wonderful family times. The people will stay in my heart wherever I am.