What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone. I would echo “good morning” several times as there has been at least two false starts as far as I can remember.
The tissue of lies flung my way by the wonder wheel of deception and ambushes was firstly a 5.0 and on a second go, half an hour later at 6.1. Now, 3 and a half hours later and eventually sliding downstairs for a mug of tea, 6.8.

I typically got the whole story wrong yesterday about our grandsons footy tournament. He was of course, silly grandad, “guesting” for a league 1 team in a Champions League competition (he plays for North Yorkshire but his current club are down in league 3). Next season he will be in an under 11 team where full rules apply; the waving of yellow and red cards, being sent off for messing up - that sort of stuff.

Anyhow, have a wonderful Sunday if you can. Mrs Miggins and her sisters are off to a Cystic Fibrosis thing today so I will be left unsupervised. Walking boots or motorcycle?

Walking boots on bike so you can ride to an access point and do a country walk?

Re previous posts, I was thinking of defending one's home and land against invaders. Don't know if I could manage even that ... :(

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes fish and seafood defo give me better BG than meat. Eggs are good also. I try to get two 3 egg omelettes with spinach or mushrooms in two suppers a week now. I like meat but could never eat it to the exclusion of all else. Next weekend just us two so am going to track down some fish/seafood from the visiting fish seller. Fancy moules but now insure if they are out of season.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 this morning and the KittenCat is bunged up again but seems to feel fine now. I'd planned to walk across the big road to the drugstore but don't like to leave her .... although she is enjoying a nice bath ...
Try giving her some tuna with a little water added. Best a small portion so she eats it all in one go. This works for Daisy.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
morning all.

the stress of packing for the hols.
still gave me a 5.7 on the sugar richter scale.

Getting a lift to airport (luton) so should be stress free once we leave house.
mein Fuhrer has already posted a full itinerary marking out each hour daily..:D

sure to keep to some of it, but sure we'll skip a little bit here and there.

Stay safe all, happy numbers..:happy:
Safe travels jj and Mrs jj. Have a fab week and dont forget to write.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Cumberland next door's cat is stalking you --

3789b27772e0517d2d2879e663c33728.jpg
Touche @Cumberland

Reactions: Debandez

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are cat people and dog people on here, people who love both, and people who just dont but it dose cause offence and distress and I am sure thats not what you want.
I contribute monthly to a charity that rescues both cats & dogs that are beaten & tortured during festivals before being slaughtered & eaten...this is done in the misguided belief it tenderises the meat...wondering @alf_Josiah is that would you would call absurd or your right to freedom of speech or would it be okay if they just did that to the cats?...@Cumberland LI know you would find that disturbing so why are both of you perpetuating this kind of' joke' as if it's no harm at all...several members have asked for the references to pet recipes & eating cats to stop politely...they have explained they find it upsetting...only to be met with sarcasm & derision from some quarters....it is not limiting free speech in any way...it isn't censorship...it's members appealing to others here not to post comments that they find upsetting & disturbing...they are not funny...not absurd or clever...they are cruel & unkind...likely not intentional now the strength of feeling has been highlighted can we please stop the references to cat recipes & the suggestions that they are vermin.

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in a similar situation, and I agree with you. It is hard. (( hug ))
thanks for the hug... but I do think that afterwards, it will be great to be an owner of less unnecessary stuff galore... I will focus on using my money and time on more travelling and help for my daugther when she is going to study the next 6-8 years...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Saskia and @Freema I am trying to declutter and downsize too. It’s very hard to decide what is useful, or important and what is just a nice memory or simply familiar. My most difficult bit has been sorting family photos. I’m the only one left now ( apart from my children and grandchildren) so I’ve ended up with everybody’s everything. Trying to make 1 keepsake album out of thousands of photos is just giving me headaches.

about the photos ... Iĺl wait with sorting those out for the many dark winter evenings later this year... but you know all these both beautiful and ugly love gift from my child . many of these will have to go now too..

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you follow eat to your meter there is an obvious direction tor you and ignoring your changing tastes almost certainly won't end well.

I’m worrying about it already - which in turn will make things worse!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Warning this posting may contain offensive wording to those of a sensitive nature and also no sense of the absurd, please, please don't read anyfurther.
I am not overly sensitive or lacking in appreciating the absurd alf....I work in a very tough profession some of the things I hear & see would shock you ... I just have respect for animals particularly those that are labelled as vermin incorrectly and are the subject of sick jokes.

Reactions: jjraak

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes fish and seafood defo give me better BG than meat. Eggs are good also. I try to get two 3 egg omelettes with spinach or mushrooms in two suppers a week now. I like meat but could never eat it to the exclusion of all else. Next weekend just us two so am going to track down some fish/seafood from the visiting fish seller. Fancy moules but now insure if they are out of season.

I tend to have fish when there’s just the 2 of us as well - it can work out quite expensive otherwise. Agree with eggs too for helping fbg.
Re moules - in season or not they probably won’t taste as good as when you were on your hols ( that’s what I found anyway)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
about the photos ... Iĺl wait with sorting those out for the many dark winter evenings later this year... but you know all these both beautiful and ugly love gift from my child . many of these will have to go now too..

Oh yes - so many lovely memories which are worth nothing in monetary terms but so hard to throw away.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3
What I did with the family photos, and I had a lot like you, was to divide them in piles. So my 3 children and myself. 4 piles.

I chose the ones I really wanted for me.

Then in the 3 of my children’s piles (they are all grown up adults 2 of them have their own children. I put the most appropriate in each pile. Then the ones that were left I divided between the 3 piles.

I bought some photo albums, the type where you lift the self seal plastic and placed them under. It is also easy to change them round in this kind of album if you want to. It is also easy for the grandchildren to take them out for their school projects.

Then I handed each of my grown up children their albums.

The two that had grandchildren greatly appreciated them and I got feedback off that. My son who is not married and never intends having offspring put his in a cupboard, although he did appreciate receiving his childhood and family photos.

This in my opinion is the easiest, at least to me the least time consuming method. Yes it still takes a little while to do, but nothing as time consuming and scanning to a disc which will probably end up at the back of a drawer.

As you are sorting, memories will come. You hold the history of the past. Little stories that your children know nothing about, or were not interested in listening to at the time when you told them, will come to mind. What I did was write down the stories, just short memories, and insert them in the albums.

This may be of interest to both your children and grandchildren. It was to mine.

This is by the by, but I have decided to expand those written memories, because both sets of grandchildren were very interested. I am only just starting this now, but I have bought some pen and ink and am writing memories when they come to with little picture drawings. So one memory to a sheet of paper and date for the approximate year. Photocopy them 4 times and post to each grandchild. I have made a folder for each grandchild so they can keep these memories in them. I will keep the originals so maybe I can do something with them at a later point.

My partner was 20 years older than me and he was always going to do something like this for his son. He said there was always time. But there wasn’t. He died before he started. So much history was lost. He had amazing memories and had been asked to go into schools and talk to schoolchildren. Which he did.

There is no time like the present moment to get started with anything....and baby steps are good...the mountain cannot be tackled in one go...but it can bit by bit...

>^..^<

great way to sort them out tha family photoes...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m worrying about it already - which in turn will make things worse!
I didn't mean the direction of bg but direction of what to eat more of - fish; and less of - red meat but not because I said so. If the meter shows fish eating = lower bg probably a good guide to follow for a while. Stop worrying.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try giving her some tuna with a little water added. Best a small portion so she eats it all in one go. This works for Daisy.

Thanks. I will try that. I gave her a little Miralax earlier but would rather give a corrective food like tuna than a medicine. Unfortunately cats don't eat All Bran or drink prune juice. :)

I just checked her litter box ... yay!

I will remember about the tuna fish. :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I will try that. I gave her a little Miralax earlier but would rather give a corrective food like tuna than a medicine. Unfortunately cats don't eat All Bran or drink prune juice. :)

I just checked her litter box ... yay!

I will remember about the tuna fish. :)
Hey Saskia isnt it wonderful how we share tips on here not just to help ourselves but also our animals! Solidarity and the forum at its best. Yay indeed. You and the KC have a great day.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately cats don't eat All Bran or drink prune juice. :)
You could always try her with a little cod liver oil too Saskia...you have to be careful with the dosage but your vet should be able to recommend a dose that is not harmful.

Reactions: gennepher