Low carb diet

dragonard

Is there anyone out there like me who are just about managing and would love to use the Low Carb Diet but cannot afford to pay. I really feel as though those of us on a Meagre income/pension are getting a bad deal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not quite sure what you need to pay for - do you mean the subscription to the information on the main website or the foods which are low carb?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@dragonard I'm not sure I should be saying this, but there are many free websites with brilliant recipes out there, and you will find recipes in the forum. I had free access to the program but didn't find it helpful. I made up my own diet plan and tested my BG regularly. If money is an issue, then spend on a BG monitor and test strips (or ask your GP - some do some don't) instead of the program on here. I may get slapped wrists for saying this.....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is the low carb program, I can't recommend it - it is so slow, drip feeding information little by little it is so frustrating.
The way to eat is simply to avoid the foods likely to cause problems, those with high amounts of sugars and starches.
Foods such as meat, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, have almost no carbs. There are low carb sausages, most burgers, and higher fat parts of chickens and minced meat which are cheap. Eating salad stuff and low carb veges in stir fries to accompany the meat etc. is a great way to add variety to meals.

Reactions: Pamstrachan

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at this these links for similar information for free

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods including handy charts

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Reactions: TUtype2

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dragonard - Did you take the option of the 7 day trial, then cancel, or did you not join up?

The Low Carb Programme is a very comprehensive, structured learning resource which, unfortunately required a huge amount of investment to create, develop and keep on developing.

If you feel it would be helpful to you, then perhaps you could consider taking the 7 day free trial and learn as much as you can, in that time. Whilst is is unfortunate that the programme does command a subscription, there is no minimum sign up period, so you could join up for the free week, a month or for serveral months, depending on your circumstances.

Forum members will also guide you in terms of adopting a lower carb way of eating, if that suits you better

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
I did pay the subscription. The education part is interesting but TBH, I have found it to be a confirmation of what I'd already learned rather than anything new. It's frustrating that you're not allowed to see it all in one day and have to wait a week before the next video. The snippets from Jason Fung have been good but again, having bought and read his book 'The Diabetes Code', they didn't really teach me anything new. It's good if you want to keep a track of your progress - BG readings, weight, medication, blood pressure, HbA1c.... but I find keeping track on excel is probably better for me. This is because excel enables me to keep a diet diary alongside my BG readings so that I can immediately identify any food which causes a spike. The meal planner on the program is useful though and I have used it often. I need all the help I can get to make my daily grub interesting! Be warned though, some of the recipes are not that low carb (I keep my carbs to around 20g a day and some of their meals are way above that!). There is a forum, but this one is better. The program allows you to make a daily diet diary but I have found this to be slow and some of the nutritional information contradictory - there is no function for users to add foods not found on the database, which is frustrating, but they say they are working on it. Each week it gives you a lot of recipes to choose from and you can print these out if you are able.

In summary: if you are a complete beginner and have not been able to do any research, the educational videos will guide you through the process of starting and maintaining a low carb way of eating. It will give you access to recipes which will enable you to eat low carb without becoming bored of your 'restricted' diet. It will enable you to keep a track on your progress and set goals for yourself. But it is expensive and you can probably find everything (apart from the videos) on free sites such as myfitnesspal.com and dietdoctor.com. As stated above, there is loads of information out there which does not need to be paid for but the low carb program can offer you a level of support, once you are a member. This forum does that equally well - actually, much better.

Do I regret paying the subscription? No. For me, it's been worth it for the meal planner and recipe section alone and I do look forward to the weekly videos. It is a comprehensive learning system and as such it is very useful. Every user will use it differently, you need to assess if it will be value for money for you personally.

I wish you luck and good health.

Reactions: Serena51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anyone out there like me who are just about managing and would love to use the Low Carb Diet but cannot afford to pay. I really feel as though those of us on a Meagre income/pension are getting a bad deal.
HSSS already posted my little blog (the first link shared), so I won't repeat it, but... If you have questions after wading through all the information we're throwing at you, just ask. It does feel like a minefield at the start, so... If you have a question, or a thousand for that matter... Go! :)
Hugs,
Jo, who was once in your minefield-shoes.

dragonard

@dragonard I'm not sure I should be saying this, but there are many free websites with brilliant recipes out there, and you will find recipes in the forum. I had free access to the program but didn't find it helpful. I made up my own diet plan and tested my BG regularly. If money is an issue, then spend on a BG monitor and test strips (or ask your GP - some do some don't) instead of the program on here. I may get slapped wrists for saying this.....
I really hope you don't get a slapped wrist lol you have been really helpful, thanks

dragonard

HSSS already posted my little blog (the first link shared), so I won't repeat it, but... If you have questions after wading through all the information we're throwing at you, just ask. It does feel like a minefield at the start, so... If you have a question, or a thousand for that matter... Go! :)
Hugs,
Jo, who was once in your minefield-shoes.
Ok if I borrow ur shoes they seam to have got u around ok lol thank you so much one thousand and one questions coming up.xx

dragonard

@dragonard - Did you take the option of the 7 day trial, then cancel, or did you not join up?

The Low Carb Programme is a very comprehensive, structured learning resource which, unfortunately required a huge amount of investment to create, develop and keep on developing.

If you feel it would be helpful to you, then perhaps you could consider taking the 7 day free trial and learn as much as you can, in that time. Whilst is is unfortunate that the programme does command a subscription, there is no minimum sign up period, so you could join up for the free week, a month or for serveral months, depending on your circumstances.

Forum members will also guide you in terms of adopting a lower carb way of eating, if that suits you better

dragonard

I didn't want to go for the 7 day option as in my experience it usually asks for a credit card first and if I forget I've incurred a bill I can't afford. But I have to say this site is a mine of info so I think I will stick to the "Oracles" on here and try to soak up as much knowledge as I can. Don't none go away.

dragonard

Have a look at this these links for similar information for free

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods including handy charts

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Thank you so much for the threads you are very kind and making a newbie a little less afraid, I've already borrowed a colleague shoes for the minefield now I'm borrowing your brain for info. What lovely people you are.
L D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No problems. That’s why we all come here, to share knowledge and support

Can make a suggestion that you fill in your profile. It makes it easier for people to give relevant advice and for other members to understand your perspective when you post. It needs to be done from the website not app. Top right corner of page, click your username, go into personal details and fill in the drop down boxes. Type and meds are the most important.

Reactions: becca59

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The lowcarbprogram suited me, and I found it very useful.
I found some of the weekly videos covered thing I already knew but were a useful reminder, plus some new stuff. And I used the daily food diary to calculate my carbs every day for the first six months.
They produce new articles and recipes every week after you've finished the 12 week (plus extras, so now up to 16 weeks!) training.
You can get your GP to give you a 'prescription' that covers the cost if you get free prescriptions.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Another free resource is http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/. On the first page is a pictorial view of some foods that can work for managing Type 2 (ignore the Tubers section), it is also possible under the fruit section to have raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and some blueberries. It is really worth the time to review the list and consider the combinations that are possible, for example you could have fun trying different cheeses, I am now on goat and wensley dale. I have West Indian style chicken, curried versions etc.