Newly diagnosed, scared and confused

Kimble73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are as many carbs in whole wheat as they are in white.
I know that but you eat whole wheat in moderation,they told us in the class at the hospital not to eat white bread I only have bread once a day. The sugar in whole wheat breaks down slower, so I was told, everyone hears different advice, I found I was extremely hungry on to low of carbs I wasn't getting enough you have to balance it out. The diet part of diabetes is very tricky and very individual, trial and error is all I can say.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that but you eat whole wheat in moderation,they told us in the class at the hospital not to eat white bread I only have bread once a day. The sugar in whole wheat breaks down slower, so I was told, everyone hears different advice, I found I was extremely hungry on to low of carbs I wasn't getting enough you have to balance it out. The diet part of diabetes is very tricky and very individual, trial and error is all I can say.
I’m guessing you were very hungry on low carb because you haven’t used a replacement energy source. You need to eat full fat foods to provide that missing energy.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

If you are hungry on low carb, then you are not eating enough protein. If you look at the three macros - carb, protein and fat, if you reduce carbs, you’ll need to increase either fat or protein.
There are plenty of lchf and keto recipes. You can use cauliflower to make cauliflower rice, cauliflower pizza, cauliflower and cheese etc - you are fuller for longer and you can have an extra helping of it.
Although I’m type 1, I do like some of the T2’s food ideas. I had vegan coffee and cream this morning with a bg reading of 5.2. It was very satisfying and I’m not hungry :)

Reactions: WuTwo and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, whole wheat does break down slower, but the same amount of glucose enters your system albeit over a longer period. The result is that any BG rises from eating it are lower but more prolonged.

Tracie2019

Hi guys I’m newbie and have just been confirmed with type 2
Would like to say a massive Thankyou to the guys that gave me advice to go see doc and know wot test to ask for.
Now on metformin 1 tablet twice a day have to book first diabetes appt with nurse in a month.
So thanks again guys x

Reactions: WuTwo and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whole wheat pasta is better, in small portion, I was told in my Diabetic class.
Yes you can have a whole apple
You can take some almonds with you on the go in a plastic baggie, and an apple that's what I did.
Or some baby carrots and a small container of low fat dip this also can be a snack in the evening
Drink 1% milk if you drink milk or skim milk.
Yogurt I eat Activa vanilla
You can have whole wheat toast with peanut butter for a snack
For rice eat whole wheat with diced up onions in it or mushrooms sprinkle some garlic powder in the rice while cooking gives better flavour. Not garlic salt to salty.
I eat a Subway sandwich for lunch, whole wheat bun I ask them to take some of the bread out, and I have spinach,tomatoes , cucumbers and black olives and onions with light mayo on it, and a Diet Pepsi. And my A1c's has been good please don't fret to much like I did and ended up on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds, I was a mess when diagnosed in 2012.

Edited by Mod to remove personal contact details
I can't eat any of that - it is just carbs carbs and more carbs - exactly what to avoid - also avoid anything low fat - that is usually higher in carbs than the proper stuff.

Reactions: 1spuds

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kimble73 have you tested your bs after eating rice, pasta and whole wheat bread?

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can take some almonds with you on the go in a plastic baggie, and an apple that's what I did.
Or some baby carrots and a small container of low fat dip this also can be a snack in the evening
For rice eat whole wheat with diced up onions in it or mushrooms sprinkle some garlic powder in the rice while cooking gives better flavour. Not garlic salt to salty.
I eat a Subway sandwich for lunch, whole wheat bun I ask them to take some of the bread out, and I have spinach,tomatoes , cucumbers and black olives and onions with light mayo on it, and a Diet Pepsi. And my A1c's has been good please don't fret to much like I did and ended up on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds, I was a mess when diagnosed in 2012.

That's more or less exactly the way I ate before my own recent diagnosis - fairly "healthy, or so I thought. Obviously didn't do me much good, and I am sure many others share that view. The information put out in these "diabetic classes" or courses is extremely outdated in many instances and advocates Low fat and lots of carbs, notably "good" carbs like wholewheat bread and pasta and brown rice - actually, they are in reality no different to white bread or pasta or rice as far as diabetes goes.
In fact, no carbs are good, wholewheat or not, low GI or not, and low fat yoghurt is packed with sugar.....I was shocked to see a small fruity "low fat" yoghurt with over 20g carbs in the supermarket yesterday!! So the very worst possible yoghurt I could personally ever eat.........however nice it might taste!
Apples can spike many diabetics BG, occasional one may be ok, I would check BG before and 2 hours after eating one though, to check the effect.

I am eating to my meter, as so many other people are, and finding my blood sugar very much improved, much more stable, few spikes plus a weight loss of over 6kg since diagnosis 5 weeks ago.

I ditched the carbs and won't be taking any advice involving using Eatwell Plates, "good" carbs, lots of fruit or anything like it........whatever Diabetic nurses or anyone else may preach.

We all do what we feel is best for us, so good luck with your T2 and I wish you good health.

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

White bread is over-processed, high in calories and of little nutritional value, whereas whole grain bread is high in fibre, vitamin B and other nutrients. Also white bread will leave you feeling hungry whereas whole grain bread will not.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
White bread is over-processed, high in calories and of little nutritional value, whereas whole grain bread is high in fibre, vitamin B and other nutrients. Also white bread will leave you feeling hungry whereas whole grain bread will not.
My choice is limited to protein bread which has under 8 percent carbs - bought in Asda.
Wholegrain is very high carb and would leave me with a BG level in the teens for hours - not going to happen.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My choice is limited to protein bread which has under 8 percent carbs - bought in Asda.
Wholegrain is very high carb and would leave me with a BG level in the teens for hours - not going to happen.

I bought some of the waitrose stuff yesterday - livlife I think it is called - only 3.9g per slice although they are quite small slices, but very nice. As is the Hovis lower carb bread from Asda and other supermarkets, but its 9.9g per slice. A lot better than 22g for a normal slice of bread though, but I have not yet risked it at this stage ! Agree wholegrain may be "healthier" than the white stuff but certainly not for a lot of us!!!

DawnOfTheZed

@Kimble73
I would be careful with regarding the apple. I tried that after my 2nd Xpert class on advice from the DSN taking the class. Bg before apple was about 6.5. After the apple (no other foods eaten) bg went up to 12 2 hours later. I've not eaten an apple since! If I'd eaten it after some other low carb food, my bg may not have risen so much. Also I've lost some weight since then so my IR may have improved. I think apple crumble using almond flour may be a way for me to go in the future, haha!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Welcome! I'm now six months from being diagnosed type 2. Once I was over the initial shock, I saw it as the proverbial kick up the bum to get healthier. I was started on Metformin tablets and tolerate them well now, after a bit of stomach upset in the early days. I wasn't advised to eat low carb by my GP or Diabetes education course, but stumbled on this forum by chance and took up a low carb life style with self monitoring (self funded). I started by eating less than 100g carbs/day to begin with and then after 6 weeks reduced it to 50-70g/day and that’s what I continue on now. The best way to see what foods suit you is to test right before a meal and then two hours after the first bite, you’re looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmol/l and to be within these recommended ranges http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html I find monitoring reassuring, I’d be more worried working blind. This has all worked for me, to date I've lost 4 stone (still more to go) and got my HbA1c (blood test for 2-3 month average blood sugar) down to a non diabetic level, all due to the fantastic support and advise I got here. Read around the Forum and I'm sure you'll find a way to do it too!
I like Rach did the same thing, and like you Red_river I thought the same things also.
We are all the same and all different. However go with the flow (pun intended) Let your wisdom be your guide.
Read, read and read some more. watch some videos, follow some of the people who have put their diabettes in to remission... or as I like to say submission. I knocked it down, turned by back and it bite me on my ****. I won't do that again.
Welcome to the team
Po

Edited by mod for poorly disguised profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am eating low carb and high fat cutting down from 100g a day to mostly below 30g a day now.
I have not lost any weight in two months so forget about the weight falling off.

Get a meter at any cost, mine is on the web and can found for under tenner!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEE2-Blood-Glucose-Meter-Compatible/dp/B07CGMBC49

I refused statins just my chioce... I like you, don't want to take any meds that I don't need!
Keep reading
Po

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am eating low carb and high fat cutting down from 100g a day to mostly below 30g a day now.
I have not lost any weight in two months so forget about the weight falling off.

Get a meter at any cost, mine is on the web and can found for under tenner!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEE2-Blood-Glucose-Meter-Compatible/dp/B07CGMBC49

I refused statins just my chioce... I like you, don't want to take any meds that I don't need!
Keep reading
Po
Opps! I just noticed when thread was started.... silly Po

Note to self:check the start date of all posts before posting

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Opps! I just noticed when thread was started.... silly Po

Note to self:check the start date of all posts before posting
Never mind Po, the most recent poster was only about a day ago - it was those posts we were responding to, not the OP I thought!!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Never mind Po, the most recent poster was only about a day ago - it was those posts we were responding to, not the OP I thought!!
Oh! I don't feel quite so daft now.
Po

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Stop wheat and grains all together and stop the progression of the disease. Live and eat by the results of your blood glucose monitor, keeping your post prandial readings below 170. If a whole apple sends it above that mark, try half the next time. And so on, until you really understand your body’s ability to process carbs. I spread my carbs out during the day for this very reason. I don’t eat any carborrific foods at all anymore. Noodles would not be a wise choice. But only you can determine what noodles do to your blood sugar levels by testing 2 hours after you eat them. The naturally occurring carbs in nonstarchy veggies, nuts, and dairy provide less than 50 g per day if I don’t over eat. I try to get ~15 g at each meal. I keep protein to 6 oz per day, with little red meat. I make up the difference in calories from healthy fats like dairy, avocados, nuts and seeds and their oils. Mainly mono-unsaturated. I personally avoid coconut oil, red meat, and excessive full fat dairy to help control my cholesterol. You have the tools to really understand the effects of foods on your pancreas and liver. Conduct experiments to see what you can and can’t eat and the quantities your body can handle. But for sure I recommend that you replace all grains with nut flours. Gluten free won’t help you. Research the keto diet or the low carb diet offered here and follow it to the letter and you may be able to drive diabetes into remission. Keep eating a standard carb diet, even substituting for whole grain versions, and the disease will progress.

Reactions: Prem51