What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fortunately in Cyprus we have a law that all beaches are public property and the public is entitled to full access to them. Any private property (such as hotel grounds) can only start after a minimum distance from the sea.

A lot of the organised beaches are actually administered by the municipal authorities that rent out umbrellas and sunbeds for the day.

Although I leave in Nicosia, the capital situated in the centre of the island a drive to the sea is only about an hour away. Day trips are definitely doable.

And that is what we plan to do today.

I still much prefer to go away for the whole weekend if I can and fortunately owning a small house in the seaside resort of Protaras makes this possible. I love to wake up and go for a swim very early in the morning just as the rising sun sets the sea ablaze. There are usually very few people around at that time, mainly fishermen, and the tranquility and stillness is bewitching.

Be the time the sun worshippers start arriving I am usually back in my house to catch up on some sleep. I usually dont return to the sea until late in the afternoon when the crouds have dispersed .

It's not so much the sea, though I do enjoy it but the exercise of going away from it all that I find very relaxing

Anyway, with all that I woke up to a 6,4 this morning breaking up the sequence of 5s I have been getting this week.

Have a great relaxing Sunday everyone.

Um, no. The beach is hardly free. Most beaches here are private property; those that are not are 5+ hours away anyway, like the private ones, hardly a day trip.
FB_IMG_1561862982226.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561861953480.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561861947565.jpeg

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to my great uncle's memorial service yesterday afternoon.

The service was in our ancestral village of Kormakitis in the north west tip of our island. As new St George, the main church of the village is currently undergoing restoration, the service was held at old St George, a beautiful medieval chapel on the grounds of a small nunnery.

Unfortunately, there is no air conditioning in the chapel and even at 5pm the fans were not really up to the task of fighting the summer heat . The village is by the coast so it can be quite humid.

I was trying to tactfully wipe away the sweat from my brow with a small handkerchief, when I heard the priest include the following line in his sermon about St Peter and St Paul " now we suffer because of a little heat and complain about a little sweat but they knew that for their faith they had to pay in blood not just sweat".

I had not complained in the least, well not out loud, but still felt guilty and personally reprimanded

Yesterday was the feast of St Peter and St Paul by the way, my name day as Pavlos is the greek version of the name Paul. In Cyprus we celebrate namedays almost like birthdays.

After the service there was a small gathering of the congregation in the main village coffee shop. Supposedly this is to remember the deceased but in reality an opportunity to catch up with each other.

This was not the part I was looking forward to the most to be honest.

People in the village are shall we say not shy of asking about your business and my recent and obvious loss of weight was bound to draw attention.

There was a spread of food to go with the usual coffee but as it was all carbs on a plate, cakes and such I decided to go without.

Not a wise move.

"Why don't you have some food?"
"You should eat more, put some meat on your bones"

The worse came when this cousin, who i dont really get on with and who I suspect knew I had issues with my health anyway, came out with:

"You really must tell us the secret, how do you go about losing weight. Although if you dont mind me saying, you looked a bit better with a little more weight on you"

All this while he and his overweight wife were going through the mountains of food piled high on the plates in front of them.

Well I did mind him saying actually. I minded a lot.

I gave him my best smile and replied:

"No secret really, everyone knows how to lose weight, you just eat less"

I have been overweight myself most of my life and as you know my recent loss of weight has been a source of worry. So my reaction had nothing to do with him being overweight and everything to do with him putting me in a spot that I am convinced he knew would make me uncomfortable.

I leave you with some photos of the chapel. Some buildings are so much nicer than some people.
FB_IMG_1561864276937.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561864297897.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561864292503.jpeg
]
FB_IMG_1561864313215.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561864363657.jpeg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1561864292503.jpeg
    FB_IMG_1561864292503.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The meter decided to spit out an 8.9 instead of the 9 something of yesterday.

Yesterday was a bit more erratic eating, including picking the raspberries off my raspberry bush each time I passed it. Yet my figures go down a wee bit.

Dawn looks like it’s promising another hot day but I haven’t checked out the app yet.

Have a good Sunday
Take care
>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to my great uncle's memorial service yesterday afternoon.

The service was in our ancestral village of Kormakitis in the north west tip of our island. As new St George, the main church of the village is currently undergoing restoration, the service was held at old St George, a beautiful medieval chapel on the grounds of a small nunnery....

All this while he and his overweight wife were going through the mountains of food piled high on the plates in front of them.

Well I did mind him saying actually. I minded a lot.

I gave him my best smile and replied:

"No secret really, everyone knows how to lose weight, you just eat less"

I have been overweight myself most of my life and as you know my recent loss of weight has been a source of worry. So my reaction had nothing to do with him being overweight and everything to do with him putting me in a spot that I am convinced he knew would make me uncomfortable.

I leave you with some photos of the chapel. Some buildings are so much nicer than some people.View attachment 34002View attachment 34003View attachment 34004]View attachment 34006View attachment 34007

Absolutely stunning buildings, so beautiful.
Yes, people are not happy unless you are eating their supply of carb laden food. It is uncomfortable. They refuse to take no for an answer.

>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...cooler today thank goodness I spent most of yesterday with the curtain closed hiding from the 32 degrees outside...managed to get Harry out for a good walk before the heat kicked in...splendid evening with friends dinner outside & we were fairly liberal with the Gin & Tonic (ice & a slice of course) .. feeling a little delicate this morning...off to water the hanging baskets & pots before they expire...poor things just about got through yesterday...so a good watering and a couple of ice cubes in each pot & basket this morning...woke to a 6.5

Viv19

Ok pet lovers a little advice needed late this afternoon Mrs J and myself saw a woman with her mongrel I think it was called a cockapoo on a lead wearing a thick dog coat. The temperature was at its zenith and the mongrel was panting. What is the protocol for dealing with this.
I am not a pet lover, but clearly the mongrel was in some distress, what would you pet lovers do?

Seriously? What was she wearing?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night was 7.2, this morning fbg showed 7.3. :((
Little toe is still nearly double size and there’s no bruising as I’ve always had before. I think it might be broken somewhere, but really can’t decide exactly where. It’s a b.... nuisance!!! So frustrating.
Hugs viv x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@pavlosn both sets of pictures are beautiful and evoke tranquillity so thanks for posting them and nice reply to your cousin. @trick60 enjoy your time on the journey and at Skegness. @HarrisonK hope the walk is relaxing and sets you up for the day. @karen8967 hope the packing goes well and you enjoy a well earned holiday. @gennepher despite tooth issues being in the 8s is great to hear. Could be the raspberries, there seems to be a bumper crop this year along with more blackberries than I have ever seen. @Viv19 hope the toe heals quickly. Have a great day folks,

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.3 yay! Moules for dinner, not the glorious Cornish version but vacuum packed from W......e.
Thank goodness today is shaping up to be not so hot! I also drew the curtains yesterday as the main rooms face south. @Viv19 it sounds like you need to get the toe checked with a medic. Are you able to wear sandals and walk on it?
@pavlosn beautiful pics and well done for swerving the carby food. @Bildad well done to you too for resisting temptation.@Bubbsie sounds like a good evening, I take it Harry didnt like the wet t shirt idea!
Have a good Sunday everyone. Stay well, stay safe and cool.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.3 yay! Moules for dinner, not the glorious Cornish version but vacuum packed from W......e.
Thank goodness today is shaping up to be not so hot! I also drew the curtains yesterday as the main rooms face south. @Viv19 it sounds like you need to get the toe checked with a medic. Are you able to wear sandals and walk on it?
@pavlosn beautiful pics and well done for swerving the carby food. @Bildad well done to you too for resisting temptation.@Bubbsie sounds like a good evening, I take it Harry didnt like the wet t shirt idea!
Have a good Sunday everyone. Stay well, stay safe and cool.
Excellent news on the fbg. Moules is the way forward then. Hot here yesterday but no reports of similar https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/28/california-mussels-cooked-heat

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only