1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning folks. Up and out today. 5.9 on the wonder wheel.
    Have a great day if you can.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They didnt taste of the sea the way freshly harvested mussels do. I always thought mussels were out of season in the summer months. My home town growing up had a mussel festival in September when they were back in season, I asume they were breeding over the summer. But that no longer seems the norm. They had bags of mussels on the fresh fish counter at previously mentioned store but they are not fresh enough for me. Previous trials ended up with too many open shells and 50% waste. Thats why I opted for the vacuum packed but they lacked taste. I like them so much they have to be tip top.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. PenguinMum

Oh Viv I hope your toe improves in time for the drive and you have a safe journey.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bubbsie

Bubbsie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The problem is Viv there is little that can be done for a broken toe...are you able to strap it to the next toe to give it some support...or put some ice on it...possible anti-inflammatory meds if you are able to take them

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bubbsie

TBH honest PM we couldn't find one that would fit him...for a bulldog he has a great physic but it's his head & neck that's huge...so he opted for digging holes in what's left of the lawn put his shades on & re-dug his trench under the hedge IMG_0359.JPG

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Bubbsie

He's far too busy being a statesman this morning PM...kissing ass with Kim Jong Un (hope that's the right one)...no doubt part of his re-election campaign...far too busy & important to be concerned about the effects of global warming.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds just like my son...and they don't change with age...

My son is in his 40's now, not married, and is not very communicative. His sisters text me saying we can't get hold of him, he doesn't reply. They are worried.

So I text son, "Are you alive?"
    Son's immediate answer, "Yes". (Well are least I got a response, my grown up daughters didn't)
    Silence, so I text, "Where are you?"
    Son's answer, "Here."
    I text back, "Where is here?"
    Silence, son doesn't reply...he is off the radar for the next few months...

At least he appears to be alive...

Daughters text me back to ask if he is okay, I forward them the conversation. Daughters text me back saying he still won't reply to us...

I am a mother. I have intuition to know if my kids are okay. He does not want mithering...he will be in touch with me soon enough if he wants something...even at his age...

>^..^<

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 5
    #4527 gennepher, Jun 30, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  8. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good morning all :)

4.7 for me today

we had noisy and spectacular thunder and lightning yesterday evening and overnight so it's cooler and clearer this morning, rather cloudy just now so I don't know whether we will eat outside at mum's or not, it's still pleasantly warm out. If it stays dry I think a spot of hedge trimming may be in order before we eat :)

Chicken is in the marinade either way ;)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
  9. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

Thanks PenguinMum x

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

Yes last time (3 years ago) I strapped the last three toes together, and after few days I was ok to walk. This time restricting the toe hurts more, therefore the tubigrip which sort of does the job. Lots of RICE happening! Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7.8 this am

• Like Like x 10
    • Hug Hug x 2
  12. Goacher55

Goacher55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon fellow stabbistsas.

I’m not good at present. Tired, lethargic, mumpy, meh,

The highlight of yesterday was buying Hugo a new toy box. He helped to fill it by inventing a new game. Mum puts toy in box, Hugo removes it as obviously it’s his favourite and playing with it. View attachment 34012

My fbg. Have had a wobble from 2.8 to 4.8 to 7.8 -lots of .8’s- back to 3.6 then 6.0 and now a 5.8

It’s a lovely day in the people republic of South Yorkshire.

Have a lovely week chums

• Like Like x 9
    • Hug Hug x 4
  13. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon, PenguinMum. :)

I have looked at some senior apartment communities near the coast. Just this past year I read about one whose tenants had to be evacuated from a hurricane. They were sent off to other senior communities, inland, several hours away, and those places aren't exactly set up to receive guests. And animals such as the KittenCat aren't provided for at all. A half-day's journey by bus to who-knows-where would be a nightmare, and without a car I would either be sent off on a bus, or sent to a local "shelter" like a gym or indoor stadium, and I remember the horror stories of what happened to people in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. Evacuation is one thing if you have a car and the evacuation routes aren't back up all the way to the beach, but you have to have a place to stay inland, and hopefully a home still standing undamaged when they let you come back after the storm.

In a way I understand about the private beaches. Hotels and condo communities have to have some control over their beaches so that their paying guests will get their money's worth. When people are paying through the nose for oceanfront accommodation with beach access they want it as much like their own backyard as possible in terms of safety. And someone has to pay for beach maintenance, and to protect the dunes, and the shorebirds' and sea turtles' nests -- although many of those are destroyed on a fairly regular basis by tourists ignoring signs as well as local predators. When I was on the Florida Gulf Coast a few years ago there was public access to the beach half a block from our hotel, but no public parking. The year after that, on Hilton Head Island, on the Atlantic coast, there were wonderful public beaches, and free parking. But beach access has to be limited because of the dunes. Our condo was half a mile from the beach, but it had wonderful lagoons with alligators and turtles and water birds, as well as the loudest chorale of bullfrogs we had ever heard!

I looked at some of the senior housing in Blandford, and it's quite a way from the city center and its shops and things. It looks very nice, just not very central. And I don't meet the minimum income qualifications for a foreign resident in the UK. I would still get Social Security income, but not Medicare, so would have to pay any medical expenses out of pocket. Which is as it should be -- I'd be a resident alien, at least for the first several years! :)

• Informative Informative x 6
  14. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

5.1 this morning and I’m pleased with that

Have a very good day

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 6
  15. Goacher55

Pickles raspberries.. tell me more. I made raspberry gin then used those raspberries to make vinegar last week. So pickles raspberries sound nice tell me more

• Like Like x 4
  16. Goacher55

Broken toes ..I’m quite au fair. I’ve broken my foot getting off of a bus.. I’ve broken toes walking into doors, dropping books on them, just walking.. can you get k tape ? It helps me. I fell over hugo ( cocker spaniel ) in October we ove still got tissue damage. I use k tape!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

5.5 this morning. Breakfast then a very early drive to Sheringham Park to avoid the heat and the road closures because of the cycle races. The dogs loved the walk in the hilly woodland and so did we. It is a really magical plsce. After a couple of hours I started to feel weird - a bit dizzy and unsteady and the hills were harder to climb as I was feeling weak.

Coffee and cream in the cafe didn't help. Back home tested BS and it was 4.1 again. So another false hypo. These low numbers are beginning to occur more often now so hopefully my body will get used to them soon and will stop sounding the alarm.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. PenguinMum

Just checking in as having a rest after gardening. Planted some Dahlias bought from a local nursery who raise their own plants and are half the cost at the garden centre. With all the rain and humidity the week I was in Cornwall two of my beautiful Dianthus got mildewed and though I have sprayed them they are looking sorry for themselves. Felt I had nothing to lose so I have moved them to part shade to see if it helps.
    @karen8967 I see you are off on hols on Tues. Wherever you go enjoy every minute.@Krystyna23040 hope you are now feeling better. @Goacher55 hope you’re feeling better too. @Bubbsie seems like Harry finds his own way to keep cool! You need something zip up and I am sure if you search there will be something out there that would ruin his street cred and dent your credit card.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Day 5 n 6..Cyprus.
    Can't recall if I posted prev fbgs.
    So today's was 6.8..yesterdays 6.0

Friday off to mountains...scooter up and around the mountain roads..beautiful.
    Discover area is wine region so wine tasting everywhere..I'm driving so it's just Lauren, who has a stunning black marcadot...I now SEE what people see in a good wine.. delicious.
    Up the mountains we go, as we climb the temperature starts to plummet, so much I end up getting t-shirt n hoodie on to stop my teeth chattering....but a wonderful day.

Saturday, we get told of a beach few tourists know of.
    Protected beach for turtles so no sunbeds etc.
    A gritty dirt track, one hour to get there of barren scrubland, then suddenly we turn a corner and a restaurant appears, do food (good) drinks (cold)...then down to the beach, dark sand, pebbles n stones as we hit the water...cold, but a welcome respite from the heat.

Can't say enough good things about Cyprus..love it .the people are so friendly.
    We've really had the most fantastic time, and if I'm honest, completely unexpected.

May not have replaced ' our Goa'..but it's certainly shot into top ten easily.

Gratuitous pics..caution
    Includes the dreaded cats and one not to look at if your eating.
    (And yes, cats really do just appear around Lauren.)

IMG_20190630_162757825_HDR~01~01.jpg IMG_20190630_142149916~01.jpg IMG_20190630_133736242_HDR~01.jpg IMG_20190629_152846133~01.jpg IMG_20190629_141152051_HDR~01.jpg IMG_20190628_142355328~01~01.jpg

And one to be cautious of,.

Cats while being fed are STILL natural predators......lizard to go..?

And for me the quote with the this ...is simply.."WHAT....? '

IMG_20190630_160303746_HDR~02~01.jpg

Last day today, so sat around town eating and drinking our own body weight ...(dreading the scales on monday...:wtf:
    )

Happy Sunday, all.xx

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    #4539 jjraak, Jun 30, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  20. Bubbsie

Kind & diplomatic of you PM Harry has absolutely no street cred at all (of course I haven't told him that)...he'll pose in most things for a treat...a little camembert left over from last night achieved the pose.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook