Meds dose

AnnieB1965

Hi.
Firstly many thanks to all for the forum.
Diagnosed T2 4 weeks ago and still trying to marry up the diagnosis and me!. I have an appt to attend Desmond as I am struggling with what are good/bad foods.
The nurse started me on 500mg of Metformin and increased me to 1000mg 2 weeks later I am taking 500mg morning and teatime. The increase has had no impact on BG, should I contact the clinic to request another increase ? If agreed how should the dose be split through the day for best results...sorry if this seems a bit trivial it's just there is a lot to get my head around. Thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin has a minimal impact on blood sugar levels eating the right foods is a far better way of getting them down.
Check out the low carb and keto advice on what to eat at www.dietdoctor.com a great free resource.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @bulkbiker , I do take Metformin but eating a low carb diet is by far the major part of how I keep my blood sugars at non diabetic levels.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Metformin can work pretty quickly, it blocks the liver from producing some excess glucose. But I gather some people respond better than others to it. It can be a major difference for some people. There is a test to know who will respond to it, but that is cost prohibitive because the medication is just so cheap to just go ahead and try it.

They can up your dose, but usually do so gradually so you get used to it. If you want it raised sooner because it is not working, I would go ahead and call them.

Just something to keep in mind. A lot of us Type 1's have been misdiagnosed as type 2's at first. Sometimes if things don't make sense, you might be a type1 instead of a type 2. So if you are doing everything right and your sugars still don't come down you might ask to be tested for being a type 1.

Reactions: CJMaz

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, Metformin only ever has a small effect but many GPs don't seem to realise that. Increasing the dose from 1000mg to 2000mg may help a small amount. Dose timing during the day isn't super critical so just read the leaflet or follow GP instructions. Having a low carb diet is key. Forget you ever heard of calories and just keep the carbs down and have enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. Read the back of food packets and not the front traffic-light stuff.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have had some great advice already. There are so many very knowledgeable people on here ready to answer any questions you have to help you on your journey.

I absolutely love Diet Doctor website too. Full of info put in a way that's easy to understand.

This link may help you:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

You can also watch some great short videos on you tube. Real people who have been able to really control their blood sugars. They tell you how they have done it. Also great videos from health care professionals. Jason Fung is one to watch. Very informative. Just input his name + diabetes in Google and click on video.

I would just like to ask if I may, whether or not you know your hba1c? Mine was 62 at diagnosis (anything over 47 is classed as diabetic). I changed my way of eating to low carb straight away after finding out on the internet just how many diabetics were having great success by eating this way. On my next test after 2 months it was down to 47 (42 to 47 is classed as pre diabetic). Then in another 3 months it was down to 41 (anything under 42 classed as normal).
I've been lower at 39 on subsequent blood tests. I've avoided medication, so far. All by changing the way I eat. So what I'm trying to say is that diet can be a better medicine. Metformin doesn't have much impact.

There is a lot to take in. I'm 18 months in from my diagnosis and still learn something every day.

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
You have had some great advice already. There are so many very knowledgeable people on here ready to answer any questions you have to help you on your journey.

I absolutely love Diet Doctor website too. Full of info put in a way that's easy to understand.

This link may help you:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

You can also watch some great short videos on you tube. Real people who have been able to really control their blood sugars. They tell you how they have done it. Also great videos from health care professionals. Jason Fung is one to watch. Very informative. Just input his name + diabetes in Google and click on video.

I would just like to ask if I may, whether or not you know your hba1c? Mine was 62 at diagnosis (anything over 47 is classed as diabetic). I changed my way of eating to low carb straight away after finding out on the internet just how many diabetics were having great success by eating this way. On my next test after 2 months it was down to 47 (42 to 47 is classed as pre diabetic). Then in another 3 months it was down to 41 (anything under 42 classed as normal).
I've been lower at 39 on subsequent blood tests. I've avoided medication, so far. All by changing the way I eat. So what I'm trying to say is that diet can be a better medicine. Metformin doesn't have much impact.

There is a lot to take in. I'm 18 months in from my diagnosis and still learn something every day.
Hi @Debandez
Just stopping to say thankyou for the link in your post .
I found it extremely informative.

Reactions: Debandez