Sprouted Seeds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kitchen towel is probably a good alternative to blotting paper, TP as @Antje77 suggested is designed to dissolve in water so not so good. I am deciding which sprouting jar to get to try that method, the avocado salad picture convinced me.
Your ubiquitous plain old quart/liter Mason style canning jar is fine,search sprouting lids online.I use plastic and metal screen styles.A variety pack will have like 3 different sized holes in them for tiny to large seeds.
I have a sprouting jar thats about 2 liter size with a fine mesh lid that I really really like.Paid about 15 dollars US,but it really is just a great jar,sorry I dont have the link.
So nice to see all the sprouters here.I do hydroponic lettuce until they bolt,which they just did,so on to the sprouts!
Smaller Mason jar is mung beans,large is alfalfa.
X1alNoem.jpg

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would rolls of cotton wool be an alternative? I think I've seen it suggested for fun sprouting kits for children?

Robbity
We have sprouted cress and mung on cotton wool in one of the science lessons with my class. It worked well when it was not too wet.

Reactions: 1spuds and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
We have sprouted cress and mung on cotton wool in one of the science lessons with my class. It worked well when it was not too wet.

Thanks Guna108 - that's very helpful :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be careful about trying cotton roll or wool, I think it might be harder to get the seeds out/off of it because the sprouts might get entwined with it.

Edit: And then someone posts it worked well!!! Lol...................

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alfalfa.5 days in large jar,then transferred to trays for 4 days to finish.I did that because jar is overloaded with seeds.I did THAT because seeds are 8 years old and all dont germinate,about 1/3rd didnt in this case.
These 6 trays going into a large ziplock bag and into refrigerator,then whats left in jar into those trays,and new jar seeds will be started.Guess my neighbor is getting some sprouts,great Karma in that for sure! :)

aLlBmdTl.jpg

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds pretty good for 8 year old seeds. I would not have thought that many would have sprouted as well. If I was your neighbor great karma! :)

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds pretty good for 8 year old seeds. I would not have thought that many would have sprouted as well. If I was your neighbor great karma! :)
I thought MAYBE 50% were sprouting,Im pleased too.
Cheap and easy for me,hugely appreciated by them.Sprouts (and gardens) are so good on many levels :hungry:
They even make you friends,who doesnt like fresh clean veggies except carnivores,LOL...great stuff!:D

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just read this thread with great interest as never thought to grow sprouting seeds to eat.

So, my questions are -
1) which seeds are the low /lower carb seeds to eat, please?
2) in particular, how do the mung sprouts compare, re carbs, please?

Many thanks

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
What I was looking at says

1 cup 3.7 oz of mung bean sprouts is 4 carbs
3 cup 3.6 oz alfalfa sprouts is 1.2 carbs
1 cup 2 oz broccoli sprouts is 1.6 carbs