Things everyone thinks are gross unless you’re T1D...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for that, it's nice to not be alone. I haven't done the snacks on the floor, though I have done the glucose tablets that have fallen out of their container and emptied/decomposed all over my coat pockets.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
In the old days I had a bag full of biscuit crumbs. I found the glucose tablets in the paper packets dried out but with biscuits in a bag that wasn’t a problem. They inevitably escaped.
When I got anything out of my bag it had to be wiped or puffed free of crumbs - pay for something, blow crumbs off the purse first - blow my nose, shake the crumbs out of the tissue or off my nose - use a biro, run my fingers up and down it to get rid of the crumbs then lick my fingers clean. You get the picture.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Yep. I've turned into a vampire.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yep - all of them including glucotabs off the floor. When I'm very low and it's a new tube I absolutely can't udo the wretched seal on the tube! I've done it before and tipped the lot onto the floor, wherepon I've sunk gratefully onto my knees and started munching....

These days we refill tubes from the tubs - problem solved.

I even ended up feebly calling for help in my office one day because I couldn't undo the tube and was getting lower and lower. Thankfully colleagues all know I'm T1 and are happy to help

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Also, I think every nightie I own has been splattered with injection or testing blood. Adds such a very seductive moment to the night.....:rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love beyond type 1 and I am laughing at the Vampire licking one's own blood ( a posh vampire) so I'm definitely going to keep on licking, I'm full of Scottish blood and I don't want to give anything away, unless I really have to ;):hilarious:

Also we have to try and recycle everything nowadays :D

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes to blood licking (human does not count), yes to blood everywhere (my gym programme is smothered), no to floor snacks, yes to bruises (which still surprise my family, they frequently ask “but what did you do?, pointing at my thigh or stomach!).

Reactions: Marie 2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
These days we refill tubes from the tubs - problem solved.

You're talking about those 50 glucotab tubs? After my local chemist stopped stocking both tabs and tubes I got them to order in the tubs several times. I don't know if anyone else is buying them but when I went in yesterday they had 3 tubs in stock - I bought one. So a victory to a T1 in need of affordable glucotabs :) !

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

You're talking about those 50 glucotab tubs? After my local chemist stopped stocking both tabs and tubes I got them to order in the tubs several times. I don't know if anyone else is buying them but when I went in yesterday they had 3 tubs in stock - I bought one. So a victory to a T1 in need of affordable glucotabs :) !

No, the little handbag tubes. When I'm low my fingers don't work so well, and the seals are impossible for me to undo. The big tubs we undo when they come into the house.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Right now it's in the washing machine so I had to nick a pic from the internet, but it's this one:
113a04f90627629049cb22f91ec48727--pop-fashion-thyroid.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks for that, it's nice to not be alone. I haven't done the snacks on the floor, though I have done the glucose tablets that have fallen out of their container and emptied/decomposed all over my coat pockets.

One evening, years ago, I was a bit low, I remember I got some cheese out to eat, so after the hypo went, I ended up eating the cheese:hungry: only to be told later on that my cat Harley had been licking it, opps :oops: :cat::rolleyes:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Can't resist sending this:
Circa 1979 I accompanied my brother and several of his Oxford friends to a magnificent Georgian House in Shipston-on-Stour, the country residence of the parents of Georgina, one of the party. We spent much of the day on horses and I remember straddling an eighteen hander which clearly had no batteries, luckily. During the night (I thought it was about two o’clock) I awoke on the top floor with a tingling mouth, needle sharp headache and enveloping hunger. I could not find a light switch and crashed into what I think was a chest-of-drawers. Walking with my back against the item and both arms in cruciform, I eventually found a door and let myself out. I carried on in my ridiculous posture, worrying that at some stage I would reach the top of the stairs, and therefore swept my left foot round like a windscreen wiper until I felt a void. I journeyed on in the style of a nonagenarian and had the unpleasant jolt of an unexpected half-landing. Somewhere further down, I disturbed some dogs since there was a short low growl worryingly close by. I was reluctant to speed up since plummeting seemed even less desirable. The stairs were eternal. Eventually I found what I knew must be the hall, because the floor was completely different. As luck would have it, I had found the kitchen, but still no light. I bruised my thighs on the unforgiving lip of a large pine table. It was depressingly devoid of anything, let alone welcome fruit bowls. In desperation I shuffled along like an arthritic crab, finding stacks of cold crockery and all kinds of unidentifiable kitchen ware. Eventually I tried raising my arms and found a shelf with something cold and clammy, clearly on a plate and inviting consumption. Believing it was malt loaf I ripped off a hunk and ravenously shoved it into my salivating jaws. My taste buds were startled to say the least. It was very salty. Just as I was figuring this out, the light went on and the whole room, in its vastness, appeared worryingly bright. Georgina’s mother was in full country kit, accompanied by two dogs.

“What are you doing? That’s dog food, and it’s six o’clock in the morning.” Something stopped me explaining my predicament and I was given three Rich Teas. I retired and waited for breakfast.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was sitting in my office at work only last week (Law enforcement no less) when I was running low. I grabbed my glucose tablets in their oblong container and realised the tablets had practically disintegrated. I tipped the container straight into my mouth and a spray of powder went in which I gulped down. 5 minutes later a PC came in to talk to me and after he'd left I glanced in a mirror to find my lower face was covered in suspicious looking white powder!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I think vampiricality* is better for the environment than wasting another tissue/wet wipe/alcoholic wipe on mopping up a little bit of my own blood.

*Apologies for the made up word. Unlike covfefe it was intentional.
I assume covfefe was unintentional but hate to suggest I understand how Thump thinks.

I use hankies - old fashioned cotton hankies - unless I manage to get blood on the nightie first. Then I pretend I haven't seen it until morning when I can pop it in the wash. Hankies wash nicely and you can spit on them, or run them under the tap. I like them, and the bugs on 'em are all my very own.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lol, re the vampire meme, I watched What We Do In The Shadows on iplayer a few weeks back, the episode where Nadja is teaching Jenna how to be a vampire made me smile - it's not too far away from a newly dx'd being trained up, well, apart from the biting people's necks bit, not having a reflection, and being burned by sunlight of course, but other than those small differences, one day you're a norm going about your business, the next you're doing all sorts of seemingly weird stuff like like deliberately stabbing yourself which after a while just becomes normal.

Really funny series, the film's good too.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I turn to ash in the sunlight. Haematophagy is nothing! Maybe I was a vampire all along :D