1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Things everyone thinks are gross unless you’re T1D...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by LooperCat, Jul 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, it's nice to not be alone. I haven't done the snacks on the floor, though I have done the glucose tablets that have fallen out of their container and emptied/decomposed all over my coat pockets.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In the old days I had a bag full of biscuit crumbs. I found the glucose tablets in the paper packets dried out but with biscuits in a bag that wasn’t a problem. They inevitably escaped.
    When I got anything out of my bag it had to be wiped or puffed free of crumbs - pay for something, blow crumbs off the purse first - blow my nose, shake the crumbs out of the tissue or off my nose - use a biro, run my fingers up and down it to get rid of the crumbs then lick my fingers clean. You get the picture.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup. Wet, muddy licorice 2 weeks ago, as I'd dropped the bag in a puddle. Still tasted fine, though :)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep. I've turned into a vampire.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep - all of them including glucotabs off the floor. When I'm very low and it's a new tube I absolutely can't udo the wretched seal on the tube! I've done it before and tipped the lot onto the floor, wherepon I've sunk gratefully onto my knees and started munching....

These days we refill tubes from the tubs - problem solved.

I even ended up feebly calling for help in my office one day because I couldn't undo the tube and was getting lower and lower. Thankfully colleagues all know I'm T1 and are happy to help

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. WuTwo

Also, I think every nightie I own has been splattered with injection or testing blood. Adds such a very seductive moment to the night.....:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I think vampiricality* is better for the environment than wasting another tissue/wet wipe/alcoholic wipe on mopping up a little bit of my own blood.

*Apologies for the made up word. Unlike covfefe it was intentional.
    I assume covfefe was unintentional but hate to suggest I understand how Thump thinks.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I love beyond type 1 and I am laughing at the Vampire licking one's own blood ( a posh vampire) so I'm definitely going to keep on licking, I'm full of Scottish blood and I don't want to give anything away, unless I really have to ;):hilarious:

Also we have to try and recycle everything nowadays :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Robinredbreast

hmm, shouldn't you be in your coffin :nailbiting:.............. it's daylight !!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Robinredbreast

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes to blood licking (human does not count), yes to blood everywhere (my gym programme is smothered), no to floor snacks, yes to bruises (which still surprise my family, they frequently ask “but what did you do?, pointing at my thigh or stomach!).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You're talking about those 50 glucotab tubs? After my local chemist stopped stocking both tabs and tubes I got them to order in the tubs several times. I don't know if anyone else is buying them but when I went in yesterday they had 3 tubs in stock - I bought one. So a victory to a T1 in need of affordable glucotabs :) !

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. WuTwo

No, the little handbag tubes. When I'm low my fingers don't work so well, and the seals are impossible for me to undo. The big tubs we undo when they come into the house.

15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Right now it's in the washing machine so I had to nick a pic from the internet, but it's this one:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Robinredbreast

One evening, years ago, I was a bit low, I remember I got some cheese out to eat, so after the hypo went, I ended up eating the cheese:hungry: only to be told later on that my cat Harley had been licking it, opps :oops: :cat::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

@EllieM have you looked on eBay for GlucoTabs?
    I buy my large pots in bulk (6 or 12) at a time.

And they have renamed them Lyft. I am not a fan of the new branding but they taste the same and do the same thing. And when I put them in the smaller tubes so don’t need to worry about the new brand.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Can't resist sending this:
    Circa 1979 I accompanied my brother and several of his Oxford friends to a magnificent Georgian House in Shipston-on-Stour, the country residence of the parents of Georgina, one of the party. We spent much of the day on horses and I remember straddling an eighteen hander which clearly had no batteries, luckily. During the night (I thought it was about two o’clock) I awoke on the top floor with a tingling mouth, needle sharp headache and enveloping hunger. I could not find a light switch and crashed into what I think was a chest-of-drawers. Walking with my back against the item and both arms in cruciform, I eventually found a door and let myself out. I carried on in my ridiculous posture, worrying that at some stage I would reach the top of the stairs, and therefore swept my left foot round like a windscreen wiper until I felt a void. I journeyed on in the style of a nonagenarian and had the unpleasant jolt of an unexpected half-landing. Somewhere further down, I disturbed some dogs since there was a short low growl worryingly close by. I was reluctant to speed up since plummeting seemed even less desirable. The stairs were eternal. Eventually I found what I knew must be the hall, because the floor was completely different. As luck would have it, I had found the kitchen, but still no light. I bruised my thighs on the unforgiving lip of a large pine table. It was depressingly devoid of anything, let alone welcome fruit bowls. In desperation I shuffled along like an arthritic crab, finding stacks of cold crockery and all kinds of unidentifiable kitchen ware. Eventually I tried raising my arms and found a shelf with something cold and clammy, clearly on a plate and inviting consumption. Believing it was malt loaf I ripped off a hunk and ravenously shoved it into my salivating jaws. My taste buds were startled to say the least. It was very salty. Just as I was figuring this out, the light went on and the whole room, in its vastness, appeared worryingly bright. Georgina’s mother was in full country kit, accompanied by two dogs.

“What are you doing? That’s dog food, and it’s six o’clock in the morning.” Something stopped me explaining my predicament and I was given three Rich Teas. I retired and waited for breakfast.

• Funny Funny x 8
  19. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was sitting in my office at work only last week (Law enforcement no less) when I was running low. I grabbed my glucose tablets in their oblong container and realised the tablets had practically disintegrated. I tipped the container straight into my mouth and a spray of powder went in which I gulped down. 5 minutes later a PC came in to talk to me and after he'd left I glanced in a mirror to find my lower face was covered in suspicious looking white powder!

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. WuTwo

I use hankies - old fashioned cotton hankies - unless I manage to get blood on the nightie first. Then I pretend I haven't seen it until morning when I can pop it in the wash. Hankies wash nicely and you can spit on them, or run them under the tap. I like them, and the bugs on 'em are all my very own.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook