Pump & Libre sensor & swimming

sparklesoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been on the Medtronic 640g pump for 16 months & libre for two months.
I’ve recently taken up regular swimming where I’m in the pool about four times a week & finding the sensor is losing its adhesive quite quickly. The other thing is I detach my pump whilst swimming but find my sugars have been quite high sometimes after coming out of the pool? Do other pump users wear your pump in the pool? I know you can but I just seem to want to protect pump & disconnect it? However silly that may sound?
So what are people’s recommendations for the libre whilst swimming? Do you cover it with a dressing/tegaderm? If so can hole bit in the middle of the sensor be covered with a dressing? Do pump users swim with their pump & how do you do it wearing a swimsuit? Many thanks & sorry for all the questions

D

Deleted Account

I would take my pump off but give myself a bolus equivalent to half an hour basal before and after the swim ... depending on how long I swim for.
Basically, I make up for the missing basal with boluses

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
This might not be a solve for you. But I snorkel all the time and have a Omnipod so it doesn't have to be removed. I do a 50%-60% temp basal decrease starting a half hour before I swim to last for two hours. I snorkel about 45-60 minutes. This has worked really well for me, although sometimes I start to drop afterwards a little too low. But I just eat something.

When I had the libre, I had no problem with getting it wet and the adhesive stayed on just fine, I'm on a Dexcom now and it can get wet too but I wrap it as the adhesive is really bad. I use Skin Tac now with it, but I am more paranoid about it falling off.

I wear a one piece swimsuit and it just goes over my Omnipod wherever it is. Sometimes the lump shows up more than other times!

Reactions: porl69

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As above for basal dose before, after and if spending a long time (over an hour) then bolus with pump in between too.

As for sensor, I use skintac (for my Dexcom), I'm sure this would work for a Libre too - also sports/vet wrap over the sensor (if its on your arm).

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve used the Libre for a while now and I always exfoliate my arm with a body scrub and then rub with surgical spirit and let dry before applying the sensor. Touch wood, mine have always stayed on even when swimming a lot on holiday. They’re still hard to remove after the 2 weeks is up.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine used to be fine on my arm but now libre, and also occasionally Omnipod begin to come unstuck. So I now use skin tac wipes beforehand. ( purchased online)
This allows me to swim 1-2 times a week.
I however find that Omnipod doesn’t like the sea abroad may also be due to high temperatures so now I always carry novopen too.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero
Curious by what happened/what you mean about the Omnipod doesn’t like the sea abroad maybe because of high temperatures?

I wear an Omnipod and snorkel in the ocean (tropics). I do all the time and haven't had an issue. I am curious what problem you had in case I need to watch for it? Adhesive? Stopping or?????

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero
Curious by what happened/what you mean about the Omnipod doesn’t like the sea abroad maybe because of high temperatures?

I wear an Omnipod and snorkel in the ocean (tropics). I do all the time and haven't had an issue. I am curious what problem you had in case I need to watch for it? Adhesive? Stopping or?????
Can sometimes begin to come off, but has stopped working when temperature very high need to cover with something if sunbathing a lot . Thought may not cope with salt water as swimming and sunbathing .
Only happened a few times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Can sometimes begin to come off, but has stopped working when temperature very high need to cover with something if sunbathing a lot . Thought may not cope with salt water as swimming and sunbathing .
Only happened a few times.
Insulin does not like getting very hot and advice is always to keep pumps covered in hot weather.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero

Having re read my answers hope it’s helpful but to make comments clearer. Omnipod will sometimes stop working when I’m abroad always seems to occur when I have been sunbathing as well as swimming in salt water.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Okay Thanks!!! I have not had any issue with the pod coming loose from swimming in the ocean. Well I don't have an issue with the pod ever coming loose. I have to really peel them off. But the temperature even in the summer here is not usually above 30-32 C (80-85 F) and I don't sunbath ever lol, just swim!!!! So the pod is in nice ocean temperatures at the beach!

I also don't use the PDM as a meter and leave it in the car. I use a Dexcom, but it is aggravating after you get out from swimming because there is a delay in reading. The libre isn't as nice all around but one thing it did do is work immediately after swimming. But I have a one touch meter in the car for after. I think I have it down most of the time of a temp basal reduction of 50% before and while swimming, but sometimes I do end up needing a snack after and have to check!

I appreciate your answer, I always like to know what to watch out for!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Okay Thanks!!! I have not had any issue with the pod coming loose from swimming in the ocean. Well I don't have an issue with the pod ever coming loose. I have to really peel them off. But the temperature even in the summer here is not usually above 30-32 C (80-85 F) and I don't sunbath ever lol, just swim!!!! So the pod is in nice ocean temperatures at the beach!

I also don't use the PDM as a meter and leave it in the car. I use a Dexcom, but it is aggravating after you get out from swimming because there is a delay in reading. The libre isn't as nice all around but one thing it did do is work immediately after swimming. But I have a one touch meter in the car for after. I think I have it down most of the time of a temp basal reduction of 50% before and while swimming, but sometimes I do end up needing a snack after and have to check!

I appreciate your answer, I always like to know what to watch out for!
Sounds like you have most eventualities covered well done. But I always carry a novo pen with me when on holiday or at the gym just in case.

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
I always use the skintak wipes with my libre. Abbott advise it should not be covered. I have never had it come off with swimming or showering unless I towel too vigorously!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always use the skintak wipes with my libre. Abbott advise it should not be covered. I have never had it come off with swimming or showering unless I towel too vigorously!
Unsure what I’m doing wrong first one came off after 3 days when drying with towel. Second one now coming away from sticky area underneath after 3 days, used skin tac wipes . Think may be due to movement of my arm muscles when doing exercise classes etc. Unsure whether to take it off or try to keep in place with tubigrip when showering sleeping/ exercising . Any advice/ ideas . Also noticed differences in readings since update generally differs by 1.6 at night this am but same currently.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As above for basal dose before, after and if spending a long time (over an hour) then bolus with pump in between too.

As for sensor, I use skintac (for my Dexcom), I'm sure this would work for a Libre too - also sports/vet wrap over the sensor (if its on your arm).
Could you please tell me what sports/ vet wrap is. Where do u get it from chemist / online? Two libres coming off after 3 days despite skin tac!

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I never had an issue with the Libre, but I had a huge issue with my Dexcom. Before I got Skin Tac I would get an ace bandage and wrap it around my arm over the Dexcom to keep t on. It worked like a charm. I'm assuming any self sticking bandage tape should also work. It won't stick to the Libre and you could cut it shorter so you don't have as much wrap?

But I did have to "rewrap" it every day, maybe more because it does like to slide. There are armbands made purposely to help. I've seen them mentioned but have never used them.

There are other adhesives that might work better for you, plus Tegaderm, grif grips patches etc that add an extra adhesive patch.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[Q
I never had an issue with the Libre, but I had a huge issue with my Dexcom. Before I got Skin Tac I would get an ace bandage and wrap it around my arm over the Dexcom to keep t on. It worked like a charm. I'm assuming any self sticking bandage tape should also work. It won't stick to the Libre and you could cut it shorter so you don't have as much wrap?

But I did have to "rewrap" it every day, maybe more because it does like to slide. There are armbands made purposely to help. I've seen them mentioned but have never used them.

There are other adhesives that might work better for you, plus Tegaderm, grif grips patches etc that add an extra adhesive patch.
Thanks no problem with adhesive now using skin tac -seems to be libre detaching from application pad underneath, so it lifts leaving pad on skin, needle loosens then fault with readings. I have ordered self sticking tape /multiple rolls, so hopefully I can get on with using libre consistently.
Thanks for your advice/ help.
UOTE="Heathero, post: 2093888, member: 164912"]Could you please tell me what sports/ vet wrap is. Where do u get it from chemist / online? Two libres coming off after 3 days despite skin tac helping[/QUOTE]

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sports tape you can just get at a drug store or online. It’s usually a tape that can can stretch to give support to an area, elastic and will tape to the skin. Vet tape not sure but I suppose s vet supply place or online.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sports tape you can just get at a drug store or online. It’s usually a tape that can can stretch to give support to an area, elastic and will tape to the skin. Vet tape not sure but I suppose s vet supply place or online.
Thanks have ordered 12 reels online .

Last edited: