Exercise Videos for over 50’s

Saur

Dear members,
Advise will be welcome regardless of your age but I have not been very active in my life. Due to the diagnosis of Pre diabetes which is a wake up call, I would like to try to get healthy. I am not keen on very vigorous exercise which I think will be too much for me. It’s better to start slowly and then progress.

I have read so many of the posts in the forum where people have progressed so well and have their Diabetes under control/or are in remission. I am sure this must be due to a good diet as well as exercise.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Saur for a non-insulin dependent type2 or person with pre-diabetes, diet will be the single biggest influence on blood glucose control.

Exercise can help and will likely bring other benefits, but as the saying goes, you can’t out-run a poor diet.

Having said that, exercise can be fun. Personally I built up just by gradually increasing my walking - easy to build into your life and no need for any expensive equipment, videos or planning.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Walking I believe is the best starting exercise. Progression is easy with either distance, double time or depending on your route pushups.

I have read that the legs are more insulin resistance than the upper body, so how about lunges and squats. These are great exercises with minimal injury risk, perhaps after a walk. Again easily progressed by pulsing to fatigue and sets. Building muscle will also decrease insulin resistance.

Once all of the above is too easy, you can add dumbbells in hand to the leg workouts, and use these for some upper body as well. A final progression could be power lifting.

Reactions: Smallbrit and Dinet

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Saur. A search on YouTube for Glucosezone may offer some ideas. Specially designed workouts for people with diabetes.
Easy going, home based and a good starting point.
Good luck.

Reactions: Dinet

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed I did very little exercise as I have arthritis and was waiting for surgery on my feet, so my initial weight loss and return to normal blood sugars was done by diet alone. Now over two years down the line with both feet fixed I have increased my step count slowly just walking round the local park for longer and longer. More recently I have resumed swimming which I enjoyed when I was younger. This was helped by a local scheme for diabetics which gave me six free swims at a local pool, one I didn’t know about before which is lovely and warm so perfect for my dodgy joints!

Reactions: Dinet and Energize

Saur

I wa
When I was first diagnosed I did very little exercise as I have arthritis and was waiting for surgery on my feet, so my initial weight loss and return to normal blood sugars was done by diet alone. Now over two years down the line with both feet fixed I have increased my step count slowly just walking round the local park for longer and longer. More recently I have resumed swimming which I enjoyed when I was younger. This was helped by a local scheme for diabetics which gave me six free swims at a local pool, one I didn’t know about before which is lovely and warm so perfect for my dodgy joints!
I don’t know how to swim, also wear glasses. I don’t think you can go in the pool with glasses due to H& S. walking is good.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Swimming would be good to start as it is non impact.
@NicoleC1971 might have some ideas as she runs an exercise group for T2s.
Otherwise YouTube search for low impact or beginners workouts.

Saur

Walking I believe is the best starting exercise. Progression is easy with either distance, double time or depending on your route pushups.

I have read that the legs are more insulin resistance than the upper body, so how about lunges and squats. These are great exercises with minimal injury risk, perhaps after a walk. Again easily progressed by pulsing to fatigue and sets. Building muscle will also decrease insulin resistance.

Once all of the above is too easy, you can add dumbbells in hand to the leg workouts, and use these for some upper body as well. A final progression could be power lifting.
Thankyou

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I wa

I don’t know how to swim, also wear glasses. I don’t think you can go in the pool with glasses due to H& S. walking is good.
Ignore my swimming comment then!

Saur

Hi @Saur for a non-insulin dependent type2 or person with pre-diabetes, diet will be the single biggest influence on blood glucose control.

Exercise can help and will likely bring other benefits, but as the saying goes, you can’t out-run a poor diet.

Having said that, exercise can be fun. Personally I built up just by gradually increasing my walking - easy to build into your life and no need for any expensive equipment, videos or planning.
My dog is my personal trainer.

Thankyou.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dear members,
Advise will be welcome regardless of your age but I have not been very active in my life. Due to the diagnosis of Pre diabetes which is a wake up call, I would like to try to get healthy. I am not keen on very vigorous exercise which I think will be too much for me. It’s better to start slowly and then progress.

I have read so many of the posts in the forum where people have progressed so well and have their Diabetes under control/or are in remission. I am sure this must be due to a good diet as well as exercise.
Hi Saur

There is some great advice on this thread namely that diet will be the best way to see improvements in your blood glucose and that starting something (anything that gets you moving) is as simple as putting on some walking shoes /dancing shoes/gardening gloves,,,,
What is preventing you from getting going?
I think it is important to build consistency before you worry about intensity (vigorous or very frequent exercise) though you should aim for 150 mins. moderate exercise per week eventually plus 2 sessions involving resistance e.g. use of muscles. Note that this does not have to mean using dumb bells or gym machines but could just be your own body weight or a stretchy band.
The latter is something that the over 50s do sometimes neglect for fear of injuring themselves or a lack of confidence about what to do. However research has shown that training your muscles (legs, chest, back and shoulders) helps your body deal with the glucose (starch plus sugars) that you are eating and so can prevent development of diabetes but you do still need to pay attention to eating less bread, rice, pasta etc.
Walking for Health run local walking groups in England (free) and getting social is a good way to nail an exercise habit. There are even walking football and rugby initiatives.
https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder
Here's a link to a good 5 minute kitchen workout you can try here and now (5 minutes)
I like this because it uses a kitchen worktop and a bottle of wine as a weight!

Hope you will let us know how you get on!
ps I do run a type 2 walk and talk group in Surrey plus am a trainer so feel free to ask if you have any concerns about getting going.

Saur

Hi Saur

There is some great advice on this thread namely that diet will be the best way to see improvements in your blood glucose and that starting something (anything that gets you moving) is as simple as putting on some walking shoes /dancing shoes/gardening gloves,,,,
What is preventing you from getting going?
I think it is important to build consistency before you worry about intensity (vigorous or very frequent exercise) though you should aim for 150 mins. moderate exercise per week eventually plus 2 sessions involving resistance e.g. use of muscles. Note that this does not have to mean using dumb bells or gym machines but could just be your own body weight or a stretchy band.
The latter is something that the over 50s do sometimes neglect for fear of injuring themselves or a lack of confidence about what to do. However research has shown that training your muscles (legs, chest, back and shoulders) helps your body deal with the glucose (starch plus sugars) that you are eating and so can prevent development of diabetes but you do still need to pay attention to eating less bread, rice, pasta etc.
Walking for Health run local walking groups in England (free) and getting social is a good way to nail an exercise habit. There are even walking football and rugby initiatives.
https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder
Here's a link to a good 5 minute kitchen workout you can try here and now (5 minutes)
I like this because it uses a kitchen worktop and a bottle of wine as a weight!

Hope you will let us know how you get on!
ps I do run a type 2 walk and talk group in Surrey plus am a trainer so feel free to ask if you have any concerns about getting going.
I really like the five minute kitchen workout video, plus the local walks. I had my bunion operation and couldn’t put pressure on my right foot. My body feels lazy but my mind is telling me to move and do some exercises.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I really like the five minute kitchen workout video, plus the local walks. I had my bunion operation and couldn’t put pressure on my right foot. My body feels lazy but my mind is telling me to move and do some exercises.
Hope your foot is better now and glad to hear you got going. The guy in the video is a GP who featured on Doctor in the House including a few diabetes type 2 reversals via movement and diet (you can also watch those episodes on You Tube for further inspiration). Nothing faddy!

Saur

Hope your foot is better now and glad to hear you got going. The guy in the video is a GP who featured on Doctor in the House including a few diabetes type 2 reversals via movement and diet (you can also watch those episodes on You Tube for further inspiration). Nothing faddy!
Thankyou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am 61 and have always been active, so my daughter bought me a Firbit for Mother's day. I have done 21.568 steps today and happy with that. I try to do stretches in the morning and touching my toes too.

Saur

I am 61 and have always been active, so my daughter bought me a Firbit for Mother's day. I have done 21.568 steps today and happy with that. I try to do stretches in the morning and touching my toes too.
I got a long way to go. Thankyou for sharing.

Cricket_Balls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a thought on swimming: goggles (which you can even get with 'prescription lens').
I always hated swimming @ school - the chlorine affected me badly - but earlier this year I got some goggles (approx £20), had a few swimming lessons & surprised myself by finding I could swim breaststroke easily & crawl OKish. I've since got a pair of prescription lens goggles. Also, swimming is very 'low impact ' for anyone, like me, with dodgy knees

That's got me thinking: why not play cricket in swimming pools? You heard it here first.........!

Saur

Just a thought on swimming: goggles (which you can even get with 'prescription lens').
I always hated swimming @ school - the chlorine affected me badly - but earlier this year I got some goggles (approx £20), had a few swimming lessons & surprised myself by finding I could swim breaststroke easily & crawl OKish. I've since got a pair of prescription lens goggles. Also, swimming is very 'low impact ' for anyone, like me, with dodgy knees

That's got me thinking: why not play cricket in swimming pools? You heard it here first.........!
I got my glasses from boots, I am sure they don’t do the goggles. I can ask again but due for a another eye test which will cost me. £20.00 is not bad at all for the goggles. Cricket also sounds fun.