Not to eat more than three times per day

Saur

Cheese seems to lower my BS...If I have an apple on its own, my BGL's will rise, not a lot, but if I have a baby bell cheese with it, no rise at all. I will have a small apple with cheese, twice a week, sometimes with a glass of red wine
Sounds good, I’ll try it.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I suspect that is because the fat in the cheese slows down the glucose rise. This is one of the difficulties for type 1s when eating fat alongside carbs. The insulin often needs to be injected later and many people split the dose.
It must be, as it works for me every time..I am pre-diabetic so it really does help me

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Because of the impact of having my gallbladder removed I cannot manage on just 2 meals a day, as too much fat in a meal causes massive bloating and then diarrhoea. But I compromised by waiting at least 12 hrs, usually 14, between the night before snack and a late breakfast, then 5-6 hrs till the next meal, and two snacks of greek yogurt/nuts/cheese/dark chocolate in the evening.

Last edited:

jacksquirrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My opinion is your stomach needs to switch off but if constantly full, how can it? However the liver loves fatty protein before bed to save it dumping glucose. Glucose it has stored deliberately for dumping. If you block the liver dumping over time it gets rid of fatty liver. If you hv one. The liver needs to be right to help your metabolism process work well.

Can I ask what is considered as a fatty protein. I am trying so hard to lower my bg but the dawn phenomenon is driving me up the wall so I want to try this.

jacksquirrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My opinion is your stomach needs to switch off but if constantly full, how can it? However the liver loves fatty protein before bed to save it dumping glucose. Glucose it has stored deliberately for dumping. If you block the liver dumping over time it gets rid of fatty liver. If you hv one. The liver needs to be right to help your metabolism process work well.
Myself I have to eat regularly but only inject insulin if my levels become high. As I hv a background insulin injected on a morning for my hugely obese body. For my size I'm not producing enough insulin until I become smaller. Food needs insulin too. I would be mad to inject 6 times on top of injecting for background need.
I wouldn't encourage constant insulin need but a fatty protein before sleep worked brilliant for me to prevent me waking on higher bgs after a sleep.
If I'm low carbing I didn't add milk to my coffees.
What would he considered as a fatty protein? I am trying so hard to get my bg down and I seem to be winning but the dawn phenomenon is really winding me up.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because of the impact of having my gallbladder removed I cannot manage on just 2 meals a day, as too much fat in a meal causes massive bloating and then diarrhoea. But I comprised by waiting at least 12 hrs, usually 14, between the night before snack and a late breakfast, then 5-6 hrs till the next meal, and two snacks of greek yogurt/nuts/cheese/dark chocolate in the evening.
Slight aside but having a gallbladder removed doesn’t automatically mean fats are a problem. (Myself and a number of other have discussed this several times). A sudden high dose can definitely be problematic. It can help enormously if you increase the amounts very slowly and consistently. It allows bile production to be anticipated and stepped up to meet the higher demands but it does take time. ( we now trickle feed rather than store and dump bile on demand but that trickle can be turned up a few notches and a pseudo bladder can sometimes form out of the remaining duct to help). Possibly it helps to do this relatively soon after surgery (as in the first year not days!) so that it becomes part of the readjustment post surgery but I’m sure the body can adapt to some extent in most people even after many years of no gallbladder. Bile salts are another possible source of help if needed.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fatty protein to me which I will have before bed if I am hungry is a spoon full of peanut/almond butter which does the job of stopping the hunger. I suppose Greek yogurt would do but nuts have more protein.
Try 90 secs bread - 30g ground nuts ( ground almonds/walnuts or any others you can find ready ground!! ) 1/2 teaspoon baking powder , salt to taste in a small microwave dish, whisk in 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of Olive oil. Put in microwave for 90 secs - let cool , slice in half and toast!! Spread with butter .

Reactions: Happy hippy

Saur

Fatty protein to me which I will have before bed if I am hungry is a spoon full of peanut/almond butter which does the job of stopping the hunger. I suppose Greek yogurt would do but nuts have more protein.
Try 90 secs bread - 30g ground nuts ( ground almonds/walnuts or any others you can find ready ground!! ) 1/2 teaspoon baking powder , salt to taste in a small microwave dish, whisk in 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of Olive oil. Put in microwave for 90 secs - let cool , slice in half and toast!! Spread with butter .
90 seconds bread sounds awesome.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I didn't overeat but other heath problems restricted weight loss (which I desperately need) but protein started raising my bgs in carb absence.
Protein has roughly half the insulinogenic effects as carbohydrate. In the absence of carbs (very difficult unless on full carni diet)
glucose (needed for the cells without mitochondria e.g red blood cells) is easily manufactured by the liver from protein and under certain circumstances it can even be made from fats).

BTW
Using the term 'block liver dumping' is a bit dodgy. The liver stores glycogen yes and you really would not want to block that otherwise you wouldn't wake up in the morning or after a fast. To curb excessive liver dumps by lowering the degree of fatty liver is I think a better concept to use.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Slight aside but having a gallbladder removed doesn’t automatically mean fats are a problem. (Myself and a number of other have discussed this several times). A sudden high dose can definitely be problematic. It can help enormously if you increase the amounts very slowly and consistently. It allows bile production to be anticipated and stepped up to meet the higher demands but it does take time. ( we now trickle feed rather than store and dump bile on demand but that trickle can be turned up a few notches and a pseudo bladder can sometimes form out of the remaining duct to help). Possibly it helps to do this relatively soon after surgery (as in the first year not days!) so that it becomes part of the readjustment post surgery but I’m sure the body can adapt to some extent in most people even after many years of no gallbladder. Bile salts are another possible source of help if needed.

Many people find this less than an issue but I had really bad problems in the first year after waiting far too long for the op (existing on an almost fat free diet to avoid the pain and vomiting) because my previous GP refused to refer me unless I lost 6st. Even now the bloating is very obvious to others. I have increased the amount of fat I can eat in a meal (it counteracts the constipation from low carb!) but I am one of the unlucky ones.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this an attempt at humour?:)
Not at all. The first stage insulin response is triggered by enzymes in the saliva reaching the stomach. If the smell of food makes one drool in anticipation, then this can be sufficient to trigger insulin. The problem arises when there is actually no food to follow so the second stage insulin response does not get triggered. Stage 1 is fast acting and short duration and it has the function of attacking the simple carbs ie sugars that cause the sugar spike. Stage 2 follows on and is designed to keep going until bgl sugars start dropping off, and this stage is the one that is supposed to switch off the flow of insulin before the hypo stage, and is the main regulatory control mechanism. If stage 2 is not triggered then insulin remains at higher levels for longer in the presence of Insulin Resistance,

One characteristic of T2 is that stage 1 response is often weak or missing so we spike readily to any sugar input. We also apparently generate stage 1 response to artificial sweetners. Even though these are empty calories, we still can put on weight since bgl glucose hanging around can still be stored as fat by these false insulin triggers.

Reactions: Guzzler

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a Prediabetic. Thankyou for your advise, very helpful. I am a nibbler and can’t stop munching all day but being cautious now and trying to snack on healthy snacks.

Better to try to curb all snacks. Even healthy snacks produce that insulin response. Eat low carb high healthy fat diet and this will help with hunger.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thannkyou but it is not easy.
It gets easier. Make sure you have enough at each meal, especially fats. Once the carb rollercoaster flattens out and you stop craving as much you can adjust the fats down a bit if you prefer.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Let the whole eating and hunger system reduce and the urge to eat becomes just a nudge which if ignored tends to reduce further.
I find that these days I can eat in the morning and again in the evening and not feel hungry. I do have two proper low carb meals and a couple of cups of coffee, so I am not doing low calorie, and I feel absolutely fine with 12 hours between meals.

Saur

Let the whole eating and hunger system reduce and the urge to eat becomes just a nudge which if ignored tends to reduce further.
I find that these days I can eat in the morning and again in the evening and not feel hungry. I do have two proper low carb meals and a couple of cups of coffee, so I am not doing low calorie, and I feel absolutely fine with 12 hours between meals.
The hardest part is when you are on some kind of diet and the rest of the family eats normally. The temptation of eating carbs seems appealing. I have been a lover of baking and temptation is always there to eat. Still have to try hardier to change bad eating habits. Thankyou for your input.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not being able to eat pavlova any more
And you can't do that with healthy fats because it is so satiating that it is almost impossible to overeat on it.
I may have to experiment with grade A* protein though ;)
That's not true. I can very easily overeat on fat.