Prediabetes Confused by the results

bramas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I live in the Caribbean where AIC levels are expressed as 5%, 7%, etc. Glucose levels are expressed as 126 mg/dl or 7 mmol/L .
Can anyone explain to me what is meant when a member says his AIC was 54, or 42? There seems to be another system of which I am unaware. Thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just use a search engine to look for Hba1c charts - there is one which is an arc coloured from green to red and which shows the different units at various points for comparison.
I have it on my desktop - but have no idea about inserting such things into posts....

Reactions: jjraak
D

Deleted member 308541

there is one which is an arc coloured from green to red and which shows the different units at various points for comparison.
Here you go...

gV4etfL.jpg

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in the Caribbean where AIC levels are expressed as 5%, 7%, etc. Glucose levels are expressed as 126 mg/dl or 7 mmol/L .
Can anyone explain to me what is meant when a member says his AIC was 54, or 42? There seems to be another system of which I am unaware. Thanks.

This might help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181127-062656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181127-062656_Chrome.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 1,123
Reactions: jjraak

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This might help.

Do you find that the average BG from finger stick checks (fasting, pre and post meal) comes close the the blood glucose listed with the A1c level (listed in the chart above)?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you find that the average BG from finger stick checks (fasting, pre and post meal) comes close the the blood glucose listed with the A1c level (listed in the chart above)?
No the hba1c is the average of 2 to 3 months. My monitor gives me a 7, 14 and 30 day average.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No the hba1c is the average of 2 to 3 months. My monitor gives me a 7, 14 and 30 day average.

What I meant was if you keep track of finger stick reading over 2-3 months does the average correlate well with the HbA1c equivalent shown in the chart?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I meant was if you keep track of finger stick reading over 2-3 months does the average correlate well with the HbA1c equivalent shown in the chart?
It depends on many things, such as how many times a day you test, which machine you use etc.. It’s better to look at trends rather than absolute values.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. To get an absolute correlation you would have to finger prick many times a day and during the night. You have no idea what your levels are doing in between finger pricks. You could be spiking high straight after a meal, at say 30 minutes, an hour or 90 minutes, but by the time you finger prick you could be well on your way down - or you could still be rising.