I'm sick

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been feeling pretty rubbish for years, type 2 diagnosis felt like just another blow. Yet it's also a possible answer. I'm sick, really sick, I'm not imagining this. Diet change (low carb and fasting) in one week has made me feel so much better. Can it really be as simple as this?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been feeling pretty rubbish for years, type 2 diagnosis felt like just another blow. Yet it's also a possible answer. I'm sick, really sick, I'm not imagining this. Diet change (low carb and fasting) in one week has made me feel so much better. Can it really be as simple as this?
Yes it really can. If what you have been eating has been making you ill then stopping it is like ceasing banging your head against a wall.
The relief can be palpable. Great isn't it..

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
great news but it is a lifestyle change ... not a 6 week diet .. i wish you much success in avoiding the type 2 pathway ( uk )

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yup about 30kg to lose, but I've lost loads already (i don't weigh I use the "jeans are too tight" method) i think mostly fluid as the body has been flushing out glucose but i'm happy with that. Historically, when i was young, weight used to fall off me and I feel like that person again. I never used to get cravings, i could skip meals without any stress, so many things feel familiar.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
great news but it is a lifestyle change ... not a 6 week diet .. i wish you much success in avoiding the type 2 pathway ( uk )
thing is this feels like "normal". I'm a classic brought up on a post rationing UK diet then switched to low fat high carb because it's healthy.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh there’s evidence out there that agrees with your new view point. Bottle theses feelings if you can in case the shine wears off and you forget how awful you used to feel and how much better this does. Keeping it up long term is the goal. Made easier with positive results and keeping hold,of this feeling you’ve discovered.

Reactions: Fenn

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the weirdest things have happened in diet. see this from George Orwell - The Road to Wigan Pier -
"The miner’s family spend only tenpence a week on green vegetables and tenpence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea."
Eight pounds of sugar a week for a family of 4: the miner's wife and two children, one aged two years and five months and the other ten months.
These people had no teeth but didn't have (as far as we know diabetes). So I'm seeing something other than LCHF going on here.

Reactions: Smiler69

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the weirdest things have happened in diet. see this from George Orwell - The Road to Wigan Pier -
"The miner’s family spend only tenpence a week on green vegetables and tenpence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea."
Eight pounds of sugar a week for a family of 4: the miner's wife and two children, one aged two years and five months and the other ten months.
These people had no teeth but didn't have (as far as we know diabetes). So I'm seeing something other than LCHF going on here.
Not really. Green veg. No processed foods. No sugar added to everything secretly but yes a large amount added openly it seems. No mention of bread, rice pasta or potatoes. Probably a very active lifestyle. And crucially I very much doubt anyone got diagnosed as type 2 back then or at least not til it became extremely severe.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i think, personal theory only, that high sugar is "fine" with high activity but toxic (particularly in some people) with low activity. it matters when this activity takes place, I don't think intense workouts actually work when balancing food, it has to be continuous in continuous out. The sugar referenced above would have been consumed in tea, probably hourly.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just for interest this is the week consumption by cost (shillings and pence) as it appears in the book (the book is great):
Rent 9 0 1/2
Clothing Club 3 0
Coal 2 0
Gas 1 3
Milk 0 10 1/2
Union Fees 0 3
Insurance (on the children) 0 2
Meat 2 6
Flour (2 stone) 3 4
Yeast 0 4
Potatoes 1 0
Dripping 0 10
Margarine 0 10
Bacon 1 2
Sugar 1 9
Tea 1 0
Jam 0 7 1/2
Peas and cabbage 0 6
Carrots and onions 0 4
Quaker oats 0 4 1/2
Soap, powders, blue, etc. 0 10
--------
Total L1 12 0
-------

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
just for interest this is the week consumption by cost (shillings and pence) as it appears in the book (the book is great):
Rent 9 0 1/2
Clothing Club 3 0
Coal 2 0
Gas 1 3
Milk 0 10 1/2
Union Fees 0 3
Insurance (on the children) 0 2
Meat 2 6
Flour (2 stone) 3 4
Yeast 0 4
Potatoes 1 0
Dripping 0 10
Margarine 0 10
Bacon 1 2
Sugar 1 9
Tea 1 0
Jam 0 7 1/2
Peas and cabbage 0 6
Carrots and onions 0 4
Quaker oats 0 4 1/2
Soap, powders, blue, etc. 0 10
--------
Total L1 12 0
-------
What about t’ Hovis?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yup about 30kg to lose, but I've lost loads already (i don't weigh I use the "jeans are too tight" method) i think mostly fluid as the body has been flushing out glucose but i'm happy with that. Historically, when i was young, weight used to fall off me and I feel like that person again. I never used to get cravings, i could skip meals without any stress, so many things feel familiar.

This is how I feel when I'm successful in reducing carbs with intermittent fasting - it's like being set free.

I'm working on reducing my carb lapses, as the difference is amazing.

Reactions: copilost

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Well done on the diet and weight loss. Do consider buying a test meter and strips so you can monitor how you are doing.

PamJHS

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm suffering from various chronic conditions, including fatigue and arthritis. Sometimes I'm in a lot of pain. Within a week of starting LCHF, my husband, my son, and a friend all told me I was moving faster and seemed a lot brighter.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...I felt like I was on death's door when I got diagnosed and discovered carbs were my kryptonite. I can walk long distances now, while I used to faceplant just trying to get around in my own home. My rheumatism is a lot better, the fatigue too, dizziness, palpatations, pain, weight... I never understood people celebrating their diaversaries until I noticed just how much that bit of knowledge, and my acting on it, changed my quality of life. So you bet I'll be celebrating it next week! Yes, it can be as simple as this. :)