1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I'm sick

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by copilost, Jul 18, 2019.

1. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been feeling pretty rubbish for years, type 2 diagnosis felt like just another blow. Yet it's also a possible answer. I'm sick, really sick, I'm not imagining this. Diet change (low carb and fasting) in one week has made me feel so much better. Can it really be as simple as this?

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Yes it really can. If what you have been eating has been making you ill then stopping it is like ceasing banging your head against a wall.
    The relief can be palpable. Great isn't it..

• Like Like x 4
  3. copilost

seriously yes, i'm like an over excited teenager

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. bulkbiker

Dunno if you have any weight to lose but if you do then just wait until the pounds start to drop off as well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

great news but it is a lifestyle change ... not a 6 week diet .. i wish you much success in avoiding the type 2 pathway ( uk )

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. copilost

yup about 30kg to lose, but I've lost loads already (i don't weigh I use the "jeans are too tight" method) i think mostly fluid as the body has been flushing out glucose but i'm happy with that. Historically, when i was young, weight used to fall off me and I feel like that person again. I never used to get cravings, i could skip meals without any stress, so many things feel familiar.

• Like Like x 3
  7. copilost

thing is this feels like "normal". I'm a classic brought up on a post rationing UK diet then switched to low fat high carb because it's healthy.

• Like Like x 3
  8. bulkbiker

Or not...

9. copilost

i have an open mind but from my personal experience which is NOT scientific evidence i don't believe in low fat high carbohydrate at all (since one week ago) laugh now :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Oh there’s evidence out there that agrees with your new view point. Bottle theses feelings if you can in case the shine wears off and you forget how awful you used to feel and how much better this does. Keeping it up long term is the goal. Made easier with positive results and keeping hold,of this feeling you’ve discovered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. copilost

the weirdest things have happened in diet. see this from George Orwell - The Road to Wigan Pier -
    "The miner’s family spend only tenpence a week on green vegetables and tenpence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea."
    Eight pounds of sugar a week for a family of 4: the miner's wife and two children, one aged two years and five months and the other ten months.
    These people had no teeth but didn't have (as far as we know diabetes). So I'm seeing something other than LCHF going on here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Not really. Green veg. No processed foods. No sugar added to everything secretly but yes a large amount added openly it seems. No mention of bread, rice pasta or potatoes. Probably a very active lifestyle. And crucially I very much doubt anyone got diagnosed as type 2 back then or at least not til it became extremely severe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. copilost

i think, personal theory only, that high sugar is "fine" with high activity but toxic (particularly in some people) with low activity. it matters when this activity takes place, I don't think intense workouts actually work when balancing food, it has to be continuous in continuous out. The sugar referenced above would have been consumed in tea, probably hourly.

14. copilost

all speculation obviously

15. copilost

just for interest this is the week consumption by cost (shillings and pence) as it appears in the book (the book is great):
    Rent 9 0 1/2
    Clothing Club 3 0
    Coal 2 0
    Gas 1 3
    Milk 0 10 1/2
    Union Fees 0 3
    Insurance (on the children) 0 2
    Meat 2 6
    Flour (2 stone) 3 4
    Yeast 0 4
    Potatoes 1 0
    Dripping 0 10
    Margarine 0 10
    Bacon 1 2
    Sugar 1 9
    Tea 1 0
    Jam 0 7 1/2
    Peas and cabbage 0 6
    Carrots and onions 0 4
    Quaker oats 0 4 1/2
    Soap, powders, blue, etc. 0 10
    --------
    Total L1 12 0
    -------

16. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

What about t’ Hovis?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is how I feel when I'm successful in reducing carbs with intermittent fasting - it's like being set free.

I'm working on reducing my carb lapses, as the difference is amazing.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Well done on the diet and weight loss. Do consider buying a test meter and strips so you can monitor how you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PamJHS

PamJHS Type 2 · Active Member

I'm suffering from various chronic conditions, including fatigue and arthritis. Sometimes I'm in a lot of pain. Within a week of starting LCHF, my husband, my son, and a friend all told me I was moving faster and seemed a lot brighter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

...I felt like I was on death's door when I got diagnosed and discovered carbs were my kryptonite. I can walk long distances now, while I used to faceplant just trying to get around in my own home. My rheumatism is a lot better, the fatigue too, dizziness, palpatations, pain, weight... I never understood people celebrating their diaversaries until I noticed just how much that bit of knowledge, and my acting on it, changed my quality of life. So you bet I'll be celebrating it next week! Yes, it can be as simple as this. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook