Approved Thread - Research Study about Your Experience with The Forum - T2 Diabetes - Still Open!

Aziz Almanea

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello,
My name is Aziz Almanea and I am a Ph.D. student in the Information School at the University of Sheffield.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/is/pgr/students/almaneaa

I am working on a research project which aims to understand the role of online forums on diabetes management for people with type 2 diabetes. The study will help forum moderators and health care professionals to understand the information needs of people with type 2 diabetes.

I am looking for participants with type 2 diabetes and who have used (or are still using) online diabetes forums (either posting on or just reading them) to manage their condition. Participants must be adult (age 18 or more) and have lived in the UK for at least six months. Participants will be asked questions about their experience of using online diabetes forums to manage their condition. The interview can be either face-to-face, by phone/Skype or by email and it is expected to take 40 to 60 minutes. Travel expenses will be provided if needed.

I would be very grateful if you would be willing to take part in my study. If you are interested, please fill in this form and I will contact you:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEqKsmNAT05t9ES9jfbnexoXbtt6iwvBoB4KECFeS8F-IkBA/viewform

If you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact me at: [email protected]

My study is supervised by Prof. Peter Bath and Dr. Laura Sbaffi.
The study has been reviewed and approved by the University of Sheffield Ethics Committee.

Best regards,
Aziz Almanea

Please note this piece of work has been approved by DCUK. DCUKMod

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this linked with the Holloway University study that was done a while ago?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bulkbiker
No, this study is not linked to the study from Holloway University. This study has a different focus.
Cheers
Filled out your form online so feel free to contact directly... unless being involved in the Holloway study excludes me of course.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.

Aziz Almanea

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks to all people who showed interest : )
I would be very happy if there are more people interested in sharing their experience : )

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Aziz, what is your recruitment time frame? Is there a deadline?
Thanks CoP

Aziz Almanea

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Aziz, what is your recruitment time frame? Is there a deadline?
Thanks CoP

Hi @copilost
There is no firm/specific deadline date. The plan is to speak with as many people as possible until I reach a point where I fell I captured most experiences.
Thank you!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Done. Not sure how much it will help since I am relatively new and so don't have my 3month post diagnosis Hab1c figure (and Cholesterol figures) yet.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Aziz Almanea

Done, and very nice speaking to you.

Good luck.

Hopefully it creates the right impression and others then get given the care and support needed
to help themselves get to a better health level, especially those less fortunate or net savvy, than us to manage their
diabetes.

It's a serious health condition and shouldn't be the lottery it is now,
as to how much information you can find out about it, or well you get to cope or not with it.

best wishes.

Last edited:

Aziz Almanea

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Last edited: