What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Krystyna23040 , this is not random. It just means that your liver had some sugar and dumped it into your blood. We ignore outliers at our peril, it’s where all the good info lies.

Anyhow, this from Dr Fung;
Increasing blood sugar when fasting
Why does my blood sugar level increase from 86 to 112 mg/dl (4.8 – 6.2 mmol/L) when I do a 20-hour fast? Is that normal? I’m on an LCHF diet.

Thank you doctor,
Alvaro

Answer:This is a normal process. When you fast, insulin levels start to drop and this triggers a surge of counter-regulatory hormones, including noradrenalin and growth hormone. This is normal, and meant to pull some of the stored sugar from the liver into the blood. If your liver is full of sugar, it may release lots of sugar into the blood, causing the blood sugar to rise.

So, yes, blood sugar may rise during fasting. The most important question to consider, though, is where this sugar came from. If you are not eating, the rise in blood sugar may only come from your own body. You are simply moving sugar from the liver to the blood. It means that there is too much sugar stored inside your body and you need to empty it out, either with LCHF diet or intermittent fasting

Dr. Jason Fung
@dunelm thank you for this information. I read it earlier in the day but didn't get a chance to thank you as I have actually only just stopped work.

It makes perfect sense and its good to know that it isn't just a random high but that my body is emptying out the stored sugar into my blood and as @DJC3 says better out than in.

@jjraak you are right - I should see it as a positive that I'm squeezing out all the bad hidden away sugars on my road back to better health.

@PenguinMum - I do feel a lot happier after reading the posts from @dunelm and @jjraak,

@gennepher its a good way to look at it - that the benefits of fasting will show up further down the road

It is so lovely that we support each other on this diabetes journey that none of us chose to take.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! @gennepher you’ve definitely got the hang of this and what you’re doing is really making a difference - that’s brilliant, well done.
I got 4.9 this morning but take no credit - all the wine last night keeping my liver too busy to dump.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 when I got up at 6.30. I am still on the run of migraines 8 days (nights) so far. I think it is the stress of the prep for summer camp which is only 7 days off!!!
Managed to resist the large quantity of biscuits at the meeting. As I was on a roll I spent the evening sorting the tuck shop. Not at all tempted to eat the sweets but the chocolate was another matter but did resist!
Take care

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! @gennepher you’ve definitely got the hang of this and what you’re doing is really making a difference - that’s brilliant, well done.
I got 4.9 this morning but take no credit - all the wine last night keeping my liver too busy to dump.

Thank you very much!!!

>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...some family over for dinner last night...a full fish supper chips an' all...I ate almost everyone of them chips...lots of talking badly needed...amazingly no alcohol involved although I did get presented with a rather nice bottle of champers (a little thank you present)… unbelievably woke to a 5.9 despite sinning outrageously with dinner.

Reactions: karen8967 and Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.0 ...wait....do I hear Hawai calling?.....
Its the fish factor again with a bit of help from G&T.
@gennepher great news....you are storming this. @jjraak so glad you’re in the safe zone.
@Bildad hug for the migraine and still.helping others. @SaskiaKC I hope Daisy never needs bloods done as she would definitely need anaesthetic. She is so nervous she wont even allow me to hold her. Bobs on the other hand would double blink those big green eyes and be charming probs. Anyone seen @ianpspurs I think he has run away with Peppa Pig!
Have a great Satuday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did another fast yesterday 19hrs. This morning 5.2. So a much better reading than yesterday. Have been a bit lax with the fasting over the past few months so will go back to doing 3 or 4 fasts a week in an effort to speed up my journey along the road to better health.

Took doggie for his first walk since Monday. He was so happy and paw seems ok. Will need to keep an eye on it. Last day of antibiotics tomorrow.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who use the green cross code. No not green shield stamps........

That meter of mine is doing my head in. This morning it gave me a low 4.7, good job I'm still banished to my shed.

I have no idea what you folks are doing today and also I have no idea what I am doing apart from being in my shed on a short leash........Mrs J rules. Totally!