Double cream - ideal for Diabetes

Saur

Hi,
I have been checking the double creams mainly in Marks & Spencer and have noted that they are high in Sat fat & medium on sugar on the Food Scanner up.
Can you please recommend any that you use and where do you buy it from. How many carbs do they contain per 100ml compared to milk. I use the skimmed milk.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hi,
I have been checking the double creams mainly in Marks & Spencer and have noted that they are high in Sat fat & medium on sugar on the Food Scanner up.
Can you please recommend any that you use and where do you buy it from. How many carbs do they contain per 100ml compared to milk. I use the skimmed milk.
The higher the fat the lower the carbs usually, skimmed milk tends to have more than whole milk or cream. I usually use the ASDA fresh double cream which is 2.6g of carbs per 100ml here myself whereas their skimmed milk has 5g per 100ml so way down in comparison.

Reactions: Higginsonvena

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Have it in coffee and on berries.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Tesco extra thick double cream which is 1.6g carbs/100mls as opposed to skimmed milk which is around 5g carbs/100ml.
I’m not sure what cream exactly you are looking at in M&S but I’ve always considered it low sugar unless of course you’re looking at ‘pretend’ creams like Elmlea.

Reactions: SuzyWong20

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can do a comparison yourself by going to each of the big supermarkets' websites and looking at the nutritional information for all the different varieties of cream. As a rough rule of thumb, the thicker the cream, the lower the carb, although some brands have added thickeners. The ingredients and the nutritional info are your best source.

I am not sure what a Food Scanner up is, but I prefer to get my nutritional info online, where I can do comparisons of different shops and brands without having to trek to each shop for comparison.

Saur

The higher the fat the lower the carbs usually, skimmed milk tends to have more than whole milk or cream. I usually use the ASDA fresh double cream which is 2.6g of carbs per 100ml here myself whereas their skimmed milk has 5g per 100ml so way down in comparison.
Thankyou.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask why you prefer to use the skimmed milk?

Saur

I use Tesco extra thick double cream which is 1.6g carbs/100mls as opposed to skimmed milk which is around 5g carbs/100ml.
I’m not sure what cream exactly you are looking at in M&S but I’ve always considered it low sugar unless of course you’re looking at ‘pretend’ creams like Elmlea.
I looked at the following: Marks & Spencer UhT Dairy cream, Double Cream & finally Organic British pouring Double cream. Thankyou for your input.

Saur

You can do a comparison yourself by going to each of the big supermarkets' websites and looking at the nutritional information for all the different varieties of cream. As a rough rule of thumb, the thicker the cream, the lower the carb, although some brands have added thickeners. The ingredients and the nutritional info are your best source.

I am not sure what a Food Scanner up is, but I prefer to get my nutritional info online, where I can do comparisons of different shops and brands without having to trek to each shop for comparison.
Thankyou.

Saur

May I ask why you prefer to use the skimmed milk?
Prior to being diagnosed with Pre Diabetes I was on a diet to reduce weight. So I was cutting fat & sugar from my diet. I am still trying to get my head around about eating fat does not make you fat. This is new to me. All these years like some of your members posts I have been on a low fat diet. This worked because I did manage to lose weight. I have got a sweet tooth and was also eating quite a lot of biscuits with no sugar or low sugar.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I use UHT Alpro Soya Cream. It has 1.2 g carbohydrate/ 100 g. It tastes great and is easy to carry in your handbag/bag as it has a screw top and is a small tetra pack.

M

Member496333

Any real double cream is unlikely to present a glucose problem. I think mainly due to the massive fat content. I’ve been known to slosh back 200-250ml in a glass, with no glucose response at all. But that is only my experience and others seem to have a different reaction.

It may be of interest to some, however, that it does contain a lot of calories. More than you’d think possible. So for those who choose to consider their total energy input, it would be wise not to drink double cream with gay abandon.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prior to being diagnosed with Pre Diabetes I was on a diet to reduce weight. So I was cutting fat & sugar from my diet. I am still trying to get my head around about eating fat does not make you fat. This is new to me. All these years like some of your members posts I have been on a low fat diet. This worked because I did manage to lose weight. I have got a sweet tooth and was also eating quite a lot of biscuits with no sugar or low sugar.
It takes a little while to wrap your brain around it, I know. I went low fat high carb, as various dieticians (my GP's and the hospitals') dictated... It just made me morbidly obese and pushed me over the edge into the diabetic range. Even when I went low carb and the dietician at the hospital saw I'd actually normalised my HbA1c besides losing a significant amount of weight, she still insisted I cut the fats and upped the carbs. When she saw I wasn't going to comply this time around, she said there was no point in further appointments, and yeah, I agreed! If I'd done what she suggested, I'd be on insulin now. In any case, I can't advise you on brands as I'm in the Netherlands, but keep in mind it also depends on just how much you're using. You're not about to have as much cream as you would milk, probably... So less carbs, but still filling. (Especially with some berries, nuts or extra dark chocolate/cacao powder). Try and let go of everything we've been taught.... It wasn't working for you, just as it wasn't working for me. It is a little counter-intuitive, after all this time of being told fats are bad, but...

Yay, bacon. ;)

Be good to yourself,
Jo

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have cream on my seed based 'porridge' and on raspberries - usually Duchy organic at 1.6g per 100ml

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I remember switching back from skimmed to full fat, it takes a wee while to get used to it again but the addition of double cream was no problem at all :).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember switching back from skimmed to full fat, it takes a wee while to get used to it again but the addition of double cream was no problem at all :).

I like my cups of tea. They are non-negotiable. I absolutely hate creamy tea. Revolting. I use skimmed milk in the brews. If I have run out I am forced to use hubby's semi skimmed and it and really do not like it. So, skimmed for me. The difference in carbs in the amounts I use are negligible.

I get through loads of double cream on strawberries and the occasional coffees. Sainsburys Dash at 1.5g carbs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I like my cups of tea. They are non-negotiable. I absolutely hate creamy tea. Revolting. I use skimmed milk in the brews. If I have run out I am forced to use hubby's semi skimmed and it and really do not like it. So, skimmed for me. The difference in carbs in the amounts I use are negligible.

I get through loads of double cream on strawberries and the occasional coffees. Sainsburys Dash at 1.5g carbs.
Aye, we all have a line to draw. I cut out the sugar in tea and switched milks but to give up being a Guzzler? Not this side of Hades!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I use Sainsburys' full fat milk for tea, and in protein milkshakes. It contains 4.7 gms of carbs per 100 gms.
I use Sainsburys' double cream for coffee and with desserts. It contains 1.5 gms of carbs per 100 gms.

Reactions: Guzzler