Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve just woken up from a four hour snooze. Rather enjoying summer holiday time.

Looking like I might need to inject for smoked salmon after all - had a pack for breakfast (no carbs, 40g protein) and had a massive spike to about 8.8mmol as a result - exactly the same basal rate but no smoked salmon yesterday had me barely deviate from 5. Diabetes would be so easy to manage without food...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Bicarb: sodium bicarbonate - use it for cleaning instead of stuff like cif and put it in the washing machine to improve water quality. If you want a fizzy drink then the cooking type with cream of tartar will do it but you need a bit of strong flavouring as well.

Reactions: Marie 2

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Bicarb: sodium bicarbonate - use it for cleaning instead of stuff like cif and put it in the washing machine to improve water quality. If you want a fizzy drink then the cooking type with cream of tartar will do it but you need a bit of strong flavouring as well.
@MeiChanski also good for soaking up smells in the fridge.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's great for soaking up smells! Do you have skunks in the UK? About 30 boxes helps if your dog got sprayed and came in the house and shook all those little crystals in a couple of rooms of the house!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It's great for soaking up smells! Do you have skunks in the UK? About 30 boxes helps if your dog got sprayed and came in the house and shook all those little crystals in a couple of rooms of the house!

Only human skunks here . It’s also used in cooking the oh so English scone (hardly dared write that in case it launches another flurry of cream, jam and how you say it).

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bicarb... best cleaner of my flasks ever! Boiling water, couple of teaspoons of bicarb stirred in, (watch out for the enthusiastic overflow of bubbles) let them sit for a bit, tip the water out and wipe clean. I'm a horror for refilling my little travel flasks with black coffee over and over and over, then forgetting to wash them, and they always come clean with the bicarb treatment.

Also useful if no indigestion tablets, but tastes foul!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Pure delight, seventh heaven, I've just eaten Alpro vanilla yoghurt
The extra brilliant was 2 fresh strawbs.
It'll be interesting to see what Madam think of it but me and Mr B thought it was stonking, he said it went well with his golden rum

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB . Confident and happy around the 6 mar
Whoopwhoop, we actually had the 20000st post on page 1000! @ert has todays top banana award for doing this!
(if I'm even allowed to present that award to people, not sure about the rules for winning it. If I'm not, can someone with higher privileges than I have please give ert her rightful reward?)

Have you guys noticed there isn't even a page 1000? Erts post is on page 1001, but as that follows page 999 I still think it counts :)
The awarding of the legendary “Top Banana “ award is possible by anyone.
Providing it is justified , obviously in this case it is.:)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking like I might need to inject for smoked salmon after all - had a pack for breakfast (no carbs, 40g protein) and had a massive spike to about 8.8mmol as a result

I think our definitions of "massive spike" may differ :)

Two fairly slack days for me meant a couple of biscuits in the evening started sending me quite high. Time to go for a bike ride. 1.5 hours later. the trace looks like a mountain - up to 15, finishing at 4.5. It was a good ride, with lots of little yellow pb signs on strava :)

Reactions: Marie 2

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Whoopwhoop, we actually had the 20000st post on page 1000! @ert has todays top banana award for doing this!
(if I'm even allowed to present that award to people, not sure about the rules for winning it. If I'm not, can someone with higher privileges than I have please give ert her rightful reward?)

Have you guys noticed there isn't even a page 1000? Erts post is on page 1001, but as that follows page 999 I still think it counts :)
Shucks but I hope the banana award doesn't involve actually eating a banana? I think I'm due to buy a lottery ticket. :)

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations everyone one. Hey let's all take 1 unit of insulin to celebrate lol
@ert's #20000 post is the bottom of page 1000 for me, post #20001 starts page 1001. 20 posts a page...

Congratulations to us!!!

(edited for clarity!)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
'S OK @Mel dCP your unit and mine will do nicely to deal with the nasty just into double digits I don't want before bed.

I'm also going to celebrate I'm up past 9.00 p.m. for the first time in a week and haven't had to rely on an alarm for the 10.30 p.m. basal.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Off to bed soon after a busy day and the weather is getting hotter too ! .
I have been asked to cover a school run until Tuesday, 30th July, which surprised me as I didn't know any schools were still going to be open that long, but I am pleased to do it, so more experience and money too :)
Nighty night zzzzzzz

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning! Sunshine streaming in. Gearing self up for looking after grandson in the expected heat. We have water play planned and lashings of sun cream. But also bifold open at back with sun canopy down. Had a good nights sleep with window open and fan on. Lovely straight line of 6. Happy days.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Zucchini noodles is good fried in garlic or raw, roasted courgettes is very good.. come to think of it my bf doesn't like courgettes, he tried some of my mum's stir fried courgettes and never again. :hilarious:
Does anyone know if sodium bicarbonate is good for anything other than baking?

It's an excellent smell absorber. My mum always had some in an eggcup in the fridge. I've used it in the fridge where meat is kept (the dogs still eat it), not because the meat is bad but because I just don't like the smell.