Type 1'stars R Us

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was up and out very early today running loads of errands, doing food shopping, ordering stuff for the rehabilitation of a large concrete slab in the garden. It used to have a wooden building which became so dilapidated it eventually had to be taken down and has been bare for the last 4 years, and looking more and more unsightly. So I'm going to have it paved and put a new shed and some seating on it. A mate's going to do it for me, and I've been touring the local builder's merchants to get the best deal on the sand and cement, and I need more gravel for the area around it. All arriving on Tuesday, except of course the paving, and once that's here he'll get underway with it.

It's all bad timing really as my bathroom's being entirely taken out and replaced starting Monday week and none of these jobs will be finished by the time puppy arrives. Still, it means she'll get to meet lots of people and experience new things I guess.

@Antje77 , what breeds of dog do you have and what are their names?
hh1im having my bathroom done so far tilings done bath and shower fitted and toilet temp fitted i hate getting work done

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ert The stuff in the fridge should be absolutely fine, provided it is in date and your fridge remains in the temperature range. I have been on Fiasp for 10 months now and to be honest the one in use loses its potency after 2 weeks. I now discard after 2 weeks. There is some left though not a lot. But it is more important it does what it is supposed to do. My Toujeo has a 4 week window, but I notice my levels creeping up when it has been open 3 weeks. If they rise too much then I discard. As I am on 8/9 units there is always half of it left. I wish they came in smaller vials.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could anyone tell me if dehydration is a normal part of being a T1? I'm always thirsty despite having good BG levels. It's not DKA thirsty, not severely thirsty but moderately thirsty.
I use to toot to university with a 5L bottle of water and consume just as much at home. I also can't go shopping or do my usual girly shopping without having water on me. I do go to the toilet every 10-15 mins with the way I'm drinking, that's not surprising right? :hilarious: I remember google said I was drinking like an athlete when I'm not an athlete. :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could anyone tell me if dehydration is a normal part of being a T1? I'm always thirsty despite having good BG levels.
I don't think so. At least, I don't think I'm more thirsty than my non diabetic friends.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from holiday to discover that someone drove into my car while we were away. No info left, just a scrape down passenger side. I am raging.

If it's any consolation @Diakat , my car was damaged yesterday in Sainsbury's carpark. The other party left a note, but not enough information to make contact. Between reporting it to the police, asking Sainbury's to review their CCTV and our insurers, it's been hours of unneccesary hassle.

On my car, it's just the front bumper that's been broken, so that'll need to be replaced. I can conclude the cat that hit me was white or silver, due to the paint sharing.

After almost 2 hours on the phone with our insurers (they were having IT issues at the time), I now have the other party's insurer details, so that'll be Plan A.

It's such a pain when these things happen. I feel your pain, even if I am a slightly better position that you in terms of who will foot the repair bill.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could anyone tell me if dehydration is a normal part of being a T1? I'm always thirsty despite having good BG levels. It's not DKA thirsty, not severely thirsty but moderately thirsty.
I use to toot to university with a 5L bottle of water and consume just as much at home. I also can't go shopping or do my usual girly shopping without having water on me. I do go to the toilet every 10-15 mins with the way I'm drinking, that's not surprising right? :hilarious: I remember google said I was drinking like an athlete when I'm not an athlete. :hilarious:

If you're absolutely sure it's not related to too high blood sugars, it might be best to go see a doctor, just to check it's nothing too serious. Though if it's not something very serious they probably won't be able to work out what it is.

You could cut back on the crisps, too much salt, and instead eat more fruit, which contains more water, and electrolytes, and will balance the minerals in your body better (oh no, I sound like I'm being mother!!!). But best check with doctor first, just to make sure it's nothing too serious.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Took myself off for a long walk day (16 miles) which has been interesting on the blood sugars front in that my normal tactics of halving insulin at breakfast and lunchtime failed enough that I was in double figures just before my evening meal which is unusual, to say the least.

Maybe they didn't like climbing the hill I accidentally took them up or the utterly splendid view from the top. Or they heard me say I've got to go back again with a camera to get some pictures.

Or they didn't like the six miles canal walk back to a bus after lunch.

Who knows? Normally I drop steadily all day on this kind of walk and often need a mid-morning/mid-afternoon 10g - 15g of free carbs as well.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's any consolation @Diakat , my car was damaged yesterday in Sainsbury's carpark. The other party left a note, but not enough information to make contact. Between reporting it to the police, asking Sainbury's to review their CCTV and our insurers, it's been hours of unneccesary hassle.

On my car, it's just the front bumper that's been broken, so that'll need to be replaced. I can conclude the cat that hit me was white or silver, due to the paint sharing.

After almost 2 hours on the phone with our insurers (they were having IT issues at the time), I now have the other party's insurer details, so that'll be Plan A.

It's such a pain when these things happen. I feel your pain, even if I am a slightly better position that you in terms of who will foot the repair bill.

Yep, had my old van was in a hit & run years ago whilst it was parked outside my parents as I looked in on them. It was a heavy fog at the time & the van was hit so hard the rear light cluster shattered mangling the assembly & fixing point which was thrown up over the top & scattered shards over the bonnet..
I had to get a new light cluster & make good any pannel damage..

A far bit of cost & personal labour to render the vehicle road worthy regarding the tail light

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In other news....

Planing a "naked" lamb burger & salad tonight & a quiet night in listening to euro metal..

Just found this well produced gem.. A sort of "I will survive" for the head bangers out there..

Enjoy!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well i thought my slab laying/ patio exploits had finished after I completed our garden at the new bungalow we moved into this time last year.
Oh no . Fast forward a few months and my wonderful daughter advises me that her hubby is going to lay a patio. I’m under strict orders not to get involved as he is adamant he knows what he is doing. This all sounds great to me. A chat a few weeks back and it transpired all was not rosy in the garden. ( basically he hasn’t got a clue how to prepare a patio let alone lay one ).
Fast forward to today. I managed to get a half decent level to the garden after it had been dug out a little to much two weeks ago.
Got 2/3 of the slabs down this afternoon.
Aching like ....a 55 yr old T1 should ache......but really happy.
1. I can still do it.
2. The grandkids had great fun helping me mix and were both really useful when I needed something passing.
3. When the “ other “ grandparents turned up they kinda got ignored in preference of me. RESULT :)
4. I’ve only needed 2 bolus injections today. Ham and tomato cob didn’t need a bolus.:)

Gonna do the rest tomorrow, weather permitting. Aching now but recalling kids trying to mix compo is keeping smiling and pain freeish.

Blood sugars throughout the day? Don’t GAS when I have this much fun.;)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
That’s rotten @Diakat, it’s horrible when someone shows they really don’t care they’ve caused damage and financial hurt.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well i thought my slab laying/ patio exploits had finished after I completed our garden at the new bungalow we moved into this time last year.
Oh no . Fast forward a few months and my wonderful daughter advises me that her hubby is going to lay a patio. I’m under strict orders not to get involved as he is adamant he knows what he is doing. This all sounds great to me. A chat a few weeks back and it transpired all was not rosy in the garden. ( basically he hasn’t got a clue how to prepare a patio let alone lay one ).
Fast forward to today. I managed to get a half decent level to the garden after it had been dug out a little to much two weeks ago.
Got 2/3 of the slabs down this afternoon.
Aching like ....a 55 yr old T1 should ache......but really happy.
1. I can still do it.
2. The grandkids had great fun helping me mix and were both really useful when I needed something passing.
3. When the “ other “ grandparents turned up they kinda got ignored in preference of me. RESULT :)
4. I’ve only needed 2 bolus injections today. Ham and tomato cob didn’t need a bolus.:)

Gonna do the rest tomorrow, weather permitting. Aching now but recalling kids trying to mix compo is keeping smiling and pain freeish.

Blood sugars throughout the day? Don’t GAS when I have this much fun.;)

I was lucky when I extended our patio & widened the side path into a second seating area... Most of the groundwork was levelled on hardcore & gravel..
When we pulled out a load of bushes to lawn the other area I fund a load of buried weathered slabs that must have been placed out as stepping stones before the garden got over grown?

They did the job nicely & you can't see the join to the extensions..

Oddly, we live in a bungalow too.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Diakat things like that really take the edge off a holiday, hope at least you had a good time away.

@Antje77 I love the sound of your menagerie, and thanks to @WuTwo and @ert; I love to hear about other people's dogs and the joy they bring. Spaniels are great for agility; I thought about it for my last dog as she was quite dainty and lithe for the breed but I never did anything about it. New pup's already signed up for puppy classes though! I'm also fascinated by what names people give their dogs and why. New pup won't have a name till she gets home and I get to know her for a few days.

@Cumberland all this talk of dogs and puppies, how's Wispa? Any new pics? She's just so cute

Reactions: Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hh1im having my bathroom done so far tilings done bath and shower fitted and toilet temp fitted i hate getting work done
@karen8967 so do I but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it - I'm not looking forward to it, just what it'll be like afterwards. My bathroom's a good size though quite square and I have a corner bath with a shower over it. That's going (along with everything else) and I'm having a walk-in shower. Can't remember the last time I had a bath - now there's a topic for debate - bath or shower?

Reactions: karen8967

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 . Shower all the way. The thought of laying in a hot bath just makes me feel bad.:woot:

Reactions: hh1

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@hh1 . Shower all the way. The thought of laying in a hot bath just makes me feel bad.:woot:

I've heard through the grapevine that DAFNE is being updated to include a module called "Diabetes and Decadence - how to relax in a lovely hot bath without your cgm sensor falling off."

The initial drafts are advocating reclining in the bath with the sensor arm hanging loosely over the side of the bath in a louche, rakish fashion so as to (a) keep the sensor out of the water, and (b) hold a glass of champagne.