1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They used to be given to all T1s but they stung so I stopped using them. I think there was then some research that showed they didn’t make much difference as long as your skin was clean and the needle fairly fresh. Seeing if I can find it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You can spiralize courgettes to resemble spaghetti, and use it instead of pasta. I guess they mean you can do the same thing to marrow? I don't know if you're meant to squeeze out the fluid or what. I've never done it - haven't a spiralizer thingie.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. WuTwo

I guess the thinking is that they're your bugs, so they aren't going to hurt you more than they do already.

I think husband and the two dogs and I are all immune to each others bugs now - it's only at the office that I catch stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Fairygodmother

5. WuTwo

Thats @Fairygodmother - total vindication for my years of unhygienic sloth!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy your day

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They aren't really needed. It's just generates more waste, that has to be disposed of. It's enough of a struggle to dispose of the essential items.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alison54321

Mine's a bit like that too, maybe we've built up some sort of resistance.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nope @Delticmatt100 I don't. I reckon when I've had a shower, my belly stays clean all day so a waste of effort and money

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Fairygodmother

Just leave the zucchini to grow big and fat, really big and fat, and you’ve got a marrow. This one’s just a little bit bigger than most
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...ECAwQAQ&biw=1024&bih=698#imgrc=M6FuvdVffTP0cM

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. WuTwo

I use my thighs a lot, or my tummy and whilst I could lick my thighs I don't think I can manage to lick my tummy! However, I've survived and although I bruise I don't infect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alison54321

I think this is exactly the right thing to do with the marrow. Don't eat it, just post pictures of yourself on Instagram, or something, holding it. Then try and grow a bigger one. They could maybe be hollowed out, dried, and painted gold, as decorations.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just inject the *** ( n is missing for mod purposes :)) stuff. I’ve never considered taking any sterilising precautions in 28yrs of injecting. That includes injecting whilst working ( builders merchants, print factory) , training at gym and everywhere and anywhere else.

mod edit: And you still didn't get away with it ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    #19793 therower, Jul 23, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019
  14. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well daughter came home last night, she's had a fab long weekend and wouldn't stop talking all about it :joyful:, not great at 11 o'clock last night when she has to go to school today - I think one of the last schools to break up in our area.

4.4 before bed, 4.4 this morning :p (although I did have 3 glucotabs at 5am!) and was up early to take the dog for a walk before it got too hot - it was a lovely early morning walk in the mist which had pretty much well burnt off by the time we got home.

My thoughts about bugs and our (well ok mine) immune system is that it's over zealous (hence the T1) and therefore I deal with the bugs a lot better than T0s - seems theres a few of us that follow that principle!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. WuTwo

Does anyone else have dried drops of blood on almost everything they own from finger pricking? I have a fabric phone cover - you could get my DNA from that thing without really trying! And my diabetes bag, my nightie, my hankies ...... and I do slurp the offending finger after doing the reading. I'm just a really heavy bleeder.

I have the finger pricker on 0.5 setting - the very lightest possible. I use an Accu-Chek Softclix Plus - anyone got one even softer?

16. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion with the courgette / marrow.....I’m growing them too and often end up with more than we can eat so if I end up with a glut of them I cook them down in my slow cooker and then freeze in small trays.....very useful as a base mixture when I cook winter soups.....just add to the pot (frozen) with other vegetables and makes for a tasty vegetable soup :)

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning chaps, bit of an early start for school holidays - must have slept enough yesterday. Rough night with my knee, getting bored with that now. Woke up on a 6.2, so happy enough with that.

@Delticmatt100 I use alcohol wipes when I put a new pod on, but that’s only because it’s an open hole for three days at a time, and is a bit bigger than a needle hole at around 0.7mm - I never used them for injections or anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

Morning all,

Climbing and spin yesterday but my BG stayed in healthy figures over night.
    The story of the dodgy knee and switching on the TV wasn't very exciting ... something to do with watching Sky through a PlayStation which lives on the floor. Enough to laugh at my friend for being old ... well, he's older than me so that counts.

Today will be a quiet day of melting. I expect the attic room/office to get very hot so I may cool down by defrosting the fridge. Woohoo - I know how to have a fun time!

@Delticmatt100 I have no alcohol wipes, no sterile wipes and no unnecessary waste. My fingers are usually cleaned with saliva and I don't do anything to make my belly dirty so the needle goes straight in.
    If you are thinking of alcohol wipes to clean your fingers before testing, be aware the alcohol may impair the reading. I think I read somewhere alcohol can lower the BG reading.

I hope everyone enjoys their marrow-free day.
    (Courgettes are fine ... especially when griddled.)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It does, by up to 0.5mmol - plus it can thicken and harden the skin after prolonged use. Not to mention it can really sting if it’s not dried off! In the ambo service, we use water - either a pad with a splash of tap water to clean the skin, or we carry little vials or sterile water in the BG test kits. I do have a little pack of “diawipes” in my kit, but I only use those if my hands are dirty/sticky and I don’t have anything to wash them with.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook