1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

If it's any consolation @Diakat , my car was damaged yesterday in Sainsbury's carpark. The other party left a note, but not enough information to make contact. Between reporting it to the police, asking Sainbury's to review their CCTV and our insurers, it's been hours of unneccesary hassle.

On my car, it's just the front bumper that's been broken, so that'll need to be replaced. I can conclude the cat that hit me was white or silver, due to the paint sharing.

After almost 2 hours on the phone with our insurers (they were having IT issues at the time), I now have the other party's insurer details, so that'll be Plan A.

It's such a pain when these things happen. I feel your pain, even if I am a slightly better position that you in terms of who will foot the repair bill.

• Hug Hug x 4
  2. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you're absolutely sure it's not related to too high blood sugars, it might be best to go see a doctor, just to check it's nothing too serious. Though if it's not something very serious they probably won't be able to work out what it is.

You could cut back on the crisps, too much salt, and instead eat more fruit, which contains more water, and electrolytes, and will balance the minerals in your body better (oh no, I sound like I'm being mother!!!). But best check with doctor first, just to make sure it's nothing too serious.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Took myself off for a long walk day (16 miles) which has been interesting on the blood sugars front in that my normal tactics of halving insulin at breakfast and lunchtime failed enough that I was in double figures just before my evening meal which is unusual, to say the least.

Maybe they didn't like climbing the hill I accidentally took them up or the utterly splendid view from the top. Or they heard me say I've got to go back again with a camera to get some pictures.

Or they didn't like the six miles canal walk back to a bus after lunch.

Who knows? Normally I drop steadily all day on this kind of walk and often need a mid-morning/mid-afternoon 10g - 15g of free carbs as well.

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Yep, had my old van was in a hit & run years ago whilst it was parked outside my parents as I looked in on them. It was a heavy fog at the time & the van was hit so hard the rear light cluster shattered mangling the assembly & fixing point which was thrown up over the top & scattered shards over the bonnet..
    I had to get a new light cluster & make good any pannel damage..

A far bit of cost & personal labour to render the vehicle road worthy regarding the tail light

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

In other news....

Planing a "naked" lamb burger & salad tonight & a quiet night in listening to euro metal..

Just found this well produced gem.. A sort of "I will survive" for the head bangers out there..

Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well i thought my slab laying/ patio exploits had finished after I completed our garden at the new bungalow we moved into this time last year.
    Oh no . Fast forward a few months and my wonderful daughter advises me that her hubby is going to lay a patio. I’m under strict orders not to get involved as he is adamant he knows what he is doing. This all sounds great to me. A chat a few weeks back and it transpired all was not rosy in the garden. ( basically he hasn’t got a clue how to prepare a patio let alone lay one ).
    Fast forward to today. I managed to get a half decent level to the garden after it had been dug out a little to much two weeks ago.
    Got 2/3 of the slabs down this afternoon.
    Aching like ....a 55 yr old T1 should ache......but really happy.
    1. I can still do it.
    2. The grandkids had great fun helping me mix and were both really useful when I needed something passing.
    3. When the “ other “ grandparents turned up they kinda got ignored in preference of me. RESULT :)
    4. I’ve only needed 2 bolus injections today. Ham and tomato cob didn’t need a bolus.:)

Gonna do the rest tomorrow, weather permitting. Aching now but recalling kids trying to mix compo is keeping smiling and pain freeish.

Blood sugars throughout the day? Don’t GAS when I have this much fun.;)

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That’s rotten @Diakat, it’s horrible when someone shows they really don’t care they’ve caused damage and financial hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

I was lucky when I extended our patio & widened the side path into a second seating area... Most of the groundwork was levelled on hardcore & gravel..
    When we pulled out a load of bushes to lawn the other area I fund a load of buried weathered slabs that must have been placed out as stepping stones before the garden got over grown?

They did the job nicely & you can't see the join to the extensions..

Oddly, we live in a bungalow too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Diakat things like that really take the edge off a holiday, hope at least you had a good time away.

@Antje77 I love the sound of your menagerie, and thanks to @WuTwo and @ert; I love to hear about other people's dogs and the joy they bring. Spaniels are great for agility; I thought about it for my last dog as she was quite dainty and lithe for the breed but I never did anything about it. New pup's already signed up for puppy classes though! I'm also fascinated by what names people give their dogs and why. New pup won't have a name till she gets home and I get to know her for a few days.

@Cumberland all this talk of dogs and puppies, how's Wispa? Any new pics? She's just so cute

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Omg, I will have to get my daughter and myself this facemask, I've got to try it, I would be in hysterics :hilarious::hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

But it will look great when it's all finished, big smiles then :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. therower

I’m not sure why, but this really made me smile.
    Two odd un’s together.:):):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@karen8967 so do I but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it - I'm not looking forward to it, just what it'll be like afterwards. My bathroom's a good size though quite square and I have a corner bath with a shower over it. That's going (along with everything else) and I'm having a walk-in shower. Can't remember the last time I had a bath - now there's a topic for debate - bath or shower?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. therower

@hh1 . Shower all the way. The thought of laying in a hot bath just makes me feel bad.:woot:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've heard through the grapevine that DAFNE is being updated to include a module called "Diabetes and Decadence - how to relax in a lovely hot bath without your cgm sensor falling off."

The initial drafts are advocating reclining in the bath with the sensor arm hanging loosely over the side of the bath in a louche, rakish fashion so as to (a) keep the sensor out of the water, and (b) hold a glass of champagne.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Will they include champagne to practice? I'm starting to get interested in those courses after all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

18. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning!
    @Diakat there are some mean people out there. I once left a message on someone’s windscreen when I knocked their wing mirror off. They rang me thrilled I had fessed up but told me not to worry they would sort it.
    @Antje77 that facemask looks like the growth on a nectarine I just dumped.
    @hh1 shower, shower, shower! Hot baths raise my levels and take too much time up. Husband hates the thought of sitting in own mucky water. Plus bad for environment. Would get rid of ours, but is proving useful for grandson at the moment. Another couple of years and a luxury walk in shower beckons.
    Have a lovely Sunday all. Having a roast today. Not something I usually do on a Sunday these days, but had a pheasant in the freezer I needed to use up.

• Like Like x 4
  19. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy whats left of the weekend

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Antje77 and @ert I keep my insulin in the salad box:D

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook