Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@WuTwo
Just out of curiosity, do you make your own veggie sausages? I think Lindas are okay, her burgers are nicer but the price for the amount is eh, unless it is on offer.

Haven't so far. I could, but there are a lot of vegan ones around to taste test and more seem to come on the market everyday.

Yep Linda's stuff is expensive. I like the burgers - especially the pulled something ones. We have them in warm home made burger buns with pickles (him) and salad (me). It's the only time when we eat both bits of the bun!

Also I have a recipe for a barbie ribs joint thing (vegan) that I desperately want to try before I try anything else new.

Reactions: MeiChanski

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The LM rosemary sausages make me sick (real vomiting) don’t know why as I can eat her normal veggie sos and the herb rosemary.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone,

Weird day yesterday, with blood sugar, I was too keen to stay in target and my corrections turned into little hypos, but of course during the night I ended up a bit higher than I would normally, so woke on 7.9.

I want to stay in target as much as I can today because last Wednesday went wrong, and I want some nice 7 days time in target figures. Not sure this is the right way to motivate myself, but never mind.

Hope everyone has a good day.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, plenty paperwork here but trying to avoid it till the rain comes and get some work done outside instead. Well, that's my excuse and as I have a Masters in procrastination, paperwork may not get done even when it does rain.....

Hope you all have a good day whatever you're doing (whether or not it's what you're meant to be doing ;))

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
The LM rosemary sausages make me sick (real vomiting) don’t know why as I can eat her normal veggie sos and the herb rosemary.

Wow! Does that make you inhibited about eating any new stuff in the range in case they use the same ingredient that makes you ill?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, I must have been steady and smooth over night, was 8.7 before bed, and 8.3 this morning :hilarious:. (must be time for me to re-try the libre (with the new adhesive - or another medtrum or I might even trial Dexcom G6 - well I would have done if I didn't have the vets bill nor a car service and MOT due next week - which I had to get 2 new front tyres the other day also - oh and a holiday coming up).

Yours sincerely
Skint of Oxford

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@hh1 - I have that degree too! Today I will be exercising my hard won knowledge here at home, as I carefully avoid all the chores I am supposed to do but instead cook a new-to-me version of mushroom stroganoff. (We have a tried and tested recipe for it, but this one looks good so I'll give it a go)

Aside from that, I shall keep up my knowledge of coffee
smiley-coffee.gif

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, now I want sausages. Sadly I only have smoked salmon for breakfast. How I suffer. Overnight bloods at the high end of range due to fish and chips at the seaside, but could have been a whole lot worse tbh.

@WuTwo I adore mushroom stroganoff but I make mine with goat cheese. I did a vegan one for a friend with herby Sheese and Alpro soya cream which she loved.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I use the Oatly creme fraiche but I like the idea of the herby sheese. I'll get some and give it a go! Thanks :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Wow! Does that make you inhibited about eating any new stuff in the range in case they use the same ingredient that makes you ill?
Not really. If it did happen I could start comparing ingredients to narrow it down!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@WuTwo I liked to add Hunts canned red chili beans to my stroganoff (with lots of mushrooms)! I think I started doing that back in a Home EC high school class and it was hard to find vegetarian recipes. So instead of the meat I added Hunts chili beans!

The sad news is I always used Hunts brand and they discontinued them, I guess the closest alternative is supposed to be Sun Vista, but I have no idea how they taste.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat It's really hard to figure out sometimes. I was eating Mustard Jalapeno pretzels and my throat and mouth swelled up some, but I had eaten a bunch of their other products with no issues. The difference with these were just the mustard and jalapenos which I eat all the time, it didn't even have that many ingredients. So I called the company and asked them if there was something different in them somehow and they told me no,there wasn't supposed to be but they would look into it. It turned out the jalapenos they used had a preservative sprayed on them they didn't even know was being used, they said they switched suppliers as they had wanted every ingredient listed that was actually in the product. It was really nice of them to look into it and then call me and tell me.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Marie 2 - Sadly, and to my lasting regret, I am allergic to chili. I usually substitute smoky paprika and a pinch of hot paprika.

One thing I do have is a new recipe for Tandoori Seitan, which can in turn be used in Tandoori Seitan Dhansak. I want to try these out at the weekend very much. The same writer did a recipe for Red Lentil & courgette dahl with Onion Tarka which appeals to me very much.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@WuTwo If you ever want your sinuses cleared out, Chinese hot mustard or horseradish instead of chili!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@WuTwo If you ever want your sinuses cleared out, Chinese hot mustard or horseradish instead of chili!

Husband might go for it so I could use for him it on nights we eat separately :)

I like warm spicy rather than blow your head off hot - my mum learned to make curries from the Ghurka army wives in Singapore (dad was posted there and mum made friends with her neighbours). They tended to go for a LOT of spicy flavour with a bit of heat but not too hot. I like the base flavour of each vegetable to still come through, and for the sauce itself to have a rich spicy warm flavour.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Oddly I like wasabi but then I don't tend to put it in curries; goes wonderfully with raw tofu and soy sauce and a few little raw veggie bits. And it goes in the creamy seaside pie that is one of our favourites (from the Bosh Boys - terrific recipes in their books and channel)