Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been wanting to start a new thread where we can share our graphs etc, but I don’t how everyone feels about sharing their results?
I mainly keep from posting my results most of the time because my diabetes either behaves ridiculously well or I'm ridiculously good at managing it.
I'm very happy about that of course, but it almost makes me feel like an impostor sometimes when I complain about things diabetes. And I'm afraid it would make people feel they're not doing well enough in comparison, which is of course ********, as there are so many variables in diabetes management from person to person that comparing doesn't really make sense.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre decided to illustrate its lies very nicely just now: (and last night between 8 and 9 was a real hypo)
67692273_10218201451182071_2975792550872350720_n.jpg

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the complete opposite to Mel...........no tech, MDI and a man!.......and so diasend shows me I'm 62.3% in range, 30.6% above range and 7.1% below range which is the other way round from Mel!

edit to add: but over the last 2 weeks, 72.6% in range, 3.5% below and 23.8% high so heading in the right direction!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I mainly keep from posting my results most of the time because my diabetes either behaves ridiculously well or I'm ridiculously good at managing it.
I'm very happy about that of course, but it almost makes me feel like an impostor sometimes when I complain about things diabetes. And I'm afraid it would make people feel they're not doing well enough in comparison, which is of course ********, as there are so many variables in diabetes management from person to person that comparing doesn't really make sense.

I understand, I guess it can go either way - some actually feel motivated and want to do the same and also feel like we are comparing. That wasn’t in my intention to make anyone feel that way. I’ve been compared to other people for most of my childhood and it’s not a nice feeling. I guess a way to acknowledge - I know some T1s share their libre results despite not doing well but they acknowledge that, it motivates them to do something about it.
Similar thing happened during my DAFNE course, we all shared our results and we all explained what happened during that day. Then the next day, we show some improvements or no improvements at all, I think someone needed a ratio tweaking. Nonetheless I’m glad I’m not the only one with a lying libre. :)

Reactions: Antje77

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its more about, as @Antje77 so eloquently puts it :D, lying Libre BUT also not to get so hung up about numbers OR MORE IMPORTANTLY comparing yourself to others. There are a few on here who I greatly admire for how they control T1, but I would never try to match what they do, simply because it is not in my nature to nor do I want to, because I am comfortable with the way I am.

In a nut shell! and I 100% agree with you Knikki

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Can I just say that the cauliflower & coconut dahl I have just made is absolutely yummy! I am so pleased - I tried the recipe because I love the M&S veersion of it and I'd rather have home made by a mile.

If I make some of this on Sundays now and again, it'll hold to give me a quick & easy lunch to take with me & just heat up on Tuesdays. That will be brilliant!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes!! I am a free agent again for the rest of the summer! (Organist duties as the exception, but that's a minor detail.)

Overnight thoughts seemed to have clarified some minds about what decision to make and we got to the end of the tunnel faster than I thought we were going to, then, by the time we emerged from having handed over the decision to find out "What next?" we were told we were free to go. I thoroughly enjoyed my mooch home and am contemplating a celebratory meal once I've caught up on the laundry!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Stroganoff worked out :hungry: Am full up and comfy, ready for an evening snuggled up with husband. I love evenings :happy:

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All this talk of graphs, time in range and percentages is very informative.
Personally I use a Dexcom and I use the 24 hr feature, basically I can look back over the previous day and that’s it.
Range is currently set 4.1 low and 9.1 high. Originally I had high set at 11.1 and then 10.1 but wanted to see if a better HbA1C could be achieved by setting the target lower ( yes it was ) .
If I stay within my range, I’m happy in that moment. Obviously I go out of range and depending on the circumstances I’m either frustrated, annoyed, guilty, baffled.
For me it’s more of how I’m feeling in life and not what data might be telling me.
I know where my HbA1C is going to be at check up time, not because I have data to make a judgment but because I know how I’ve been feeling over the past weeks and months. Well being and happiness for me comes from many places. The diabetes bit is mainly down to not having to put to much effort in to hitting my targets. I know that when HbA1C time comes if I’m feeling good, confident and happy that will be reflected in my HbA1C
Am I too carefree? Maybe.
Does it work for me? So far so good;)
For all those who do it differently I have total and full admiration for you, especially those who collect and analysis the data.
I wish I could ( I have tried) but it all just becomes a bit of a blur when I start going back over it.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very boring, very very very very boring, so my time in range is quite good. Living alone helps, as I eat to the meter, and I don't really do much of this cooking stuff.

Just went out of range, manage to stay in all day until now, but I have 2 units swilling around, but annoyed though, though compared to last Wednesday it's not much.

My 90 day in target is 80% in target, 13% above, and 6% below. I set my target range at 3.9 to 7.8, because that just feels right to me. But I am very very very boring, and that's how I achieve it. Also having had T1D for almost 43 years I do see it as a quite a priority, at least for a while, to stay in range as much as I can. I just like the idea of all the cells in my body being confused and wondering where they are, what's going on, and if they're in the wrong body.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alison54321 . I see your boring and raise you one boring.:).
Boring comes in many shapes and sizes. What is boring to one is a joy to another.
I often walk out of the room because I get bored with myself.
I don’t think we ever live alone if we have type 1 and what you have just posted is more inspirational than boring.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have just read a lovely thread where the OP is striving to manage her type 2 diagnosis with a diet that she finds sustainable for the immediate future. I hope it gets her the results she deserves. However, I had to laugh at the comment made to her about finger pricking by her health professional. Telling her not to bother because it will make her fingers sore. Err! What are we supposed to do then?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have just read a lovely thread where the OP is striving to manage her type 2 diagnosis with a diet that she finds sustainable for the immediate future. I hope it gets her the results she deserves. However, I had to laugh at the comment made to her about finger pricking by her health professional. Telling her not to bother because it will make her fingers sore. Err! What are we supposed to do then?

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm slightly more erratic than those of you who've posted time in range so far. My days tend to be a bit unpredictable, and at the moment life is different due to the routine of twice daily walking with my dog having of course gone out of the window. it won't be back to normal for some time as puppy can't go out for the first few weeks until she's fully vaccinated and then she won't need that kind of walking - in fact shouldn't have that kind of walking - until she's more developed and of course bigger. So I've recently spent more time visiting and staying with people where it was less easy/not possible with a dog, so of course not so in control of food (and maybe drinking a little more ;)) but oveerall my results are much better since I had the Libre. I tend to operate much more on a daily basis and it works for me. I'm expecting to get back to something more stable in future and in the meantime I'm enjoying having a slightly different lifestyle.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Who knows about open source software? I’ve found a (non-D related thing) piece of software that looks useful, but it says I need to download to a Linux server then users can use the cloud to access. I know what Linux is, but how do I tell if a server is it???? Any ideas?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm slightly more erratic than those of you who've posted time in range so far. My days tend to be a bit unpredictable, and at the moment life is different due to the routine of twice daily walking with my dog having of course gone out of the window. it won't be back to normal for some time as puppy can't go out for the first few weeks until she's fully vaccinated and then she won't need that kind of walking - in fact shouldn't have that kind of walking - until she's more developed and of course bigger. So I've recently spent more time visiting and staying with people where it was less easy/not possible with a dog, so of course not so in control of food (and maybe drinking a little more ;)) but oveerall my results are much better since I had the Libre. I tend to operate much more on a daily basis and it works for me. I'm expecting to get back to something more stable in future and in the meantime I'm enjoying having a slightly different lifestyle.
I can only conclude you're doing perfect :)
Which to my thinking is best you can do while still having your life the way you like it while managing stuff life throws on your path.
And besides, you'll have a puppy, which beats perfect blood sugars any day.