Your primary care team T2D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I picked FUNNY because of the last line, @Guzzler..LoL

but just wanted to throw in a HUG as well, i'm surprised by that.

Why wouldn't a woman prefer a woman doctor, and be allowed to ?..
my missus does .

me i'm not bothered, unless it's for the 'you Know.. bits :bag:" ..then it's Men.doctors.
because we under stand what each other means ( we blokes talk in code when it's THAT :wideyed:) ...and how it feels.

surely part of that dynamic of visiting a doctors, EXCEPT when it's an emergency,
then it's OMG , Hitler Youth, Satan, Hugh Laurie..(;):D) I DON'T Care as long as they can save me.,:arghh:

But at a surgery level,it IS that ability to relax, and relay REAL concerns and problems, and that really has SOME merit,
especially when regarding how you feel about how the the other party listens and empathises.

there have been some fantastic female doctors i have seen, as are many of the male ones.
but surely THAT should be Your choice.?

take care.
At my last GP in the IOM, most of the GP,s were female at the surgery. I settled on using one as I quite liked her. But over time it became obvious that there were shortcomings and so for my health sake I started to contemplate switching. By that time though I moved back to the UK.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In theory I can book appointments on line however whenever I try I always get the message ‘there are currently no available appointments’ so have to ring the surgery and wait for 25 minutes on the phone to get one. I’m currently trying to book a diabetic review but have had no success - had my blood test etc 4 weeks ago!
I think they are all on holiday at the moment. :D

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have gone back over my recent posts and have amended one EDIT in relation to a post to @helensaramay
(apologies for the late edit, helensaramay)

for those who have not had the pleasure, i was lucky enough to hear this guy speak.
.(have since searched but can find no link to video)

and HE spoke for me on SO many levels.
i still get goosebumps when i Just read what he said.

https://www.livingloud.org.uk/single-post/2018/12/14/International-Diabetes-Summit-2018

ALL of it is worth reading, but the punch line, the absolute clarity of the nonsense of the current situation is...

I doubt we have moved, much beyond that, despite the sterling efforts of so many.

maybe next year we WILL see the promised lands

I am also reminded of this clip from the film Network.

A lone voice indeed.

but just one voice one person CAN make the difference
and WE are MANY.

here's a lesson in how a movement, usually begins with just One voice, One person
and THAT one action can cause others to join that movement.

This guy inspired ME, that WE Deserve BETTER
who will inspire you ?
https://www.livingloud.org.uk/single-post/2018/12/14/International-Diabetes-Summit-2018

:D

Just googled Dan Parker. His latest, for info:

https://www.livingloud.org.uk/single-post/2019/07/22/2019-Newsletter

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well when the hospital cancelled my operation in mid July, I asked for help getting my blood sugars down, I just got an appointment at the hospital diabetes team for the end of October.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
here's a lesson in how a movement, usually begins with just One voice, One person
and THAT one action can cause others to join that movement.

This guy inspired ME, that WE Deserve BETTER
who will inspire you ?

:D
My hero is Fung as he wants to fix the science.Its SIMPLE,obvious and a rock should 'get it'.
I see how Unwin is such a hero because he wants to fix the delivery system.Rightly or wrongly an MD after their names carries a lot of weight for change we mere mortals can achieve only with massive numbers.

Debandez and all the others working together and separately from the grassroots level are all my heroes,something I fully understand... but I could never deal with the mindblocked folks.I get frustrated just trying to deal with a few relatives. :banghead: Folks who will stick their necks out to try and answer questions on forums,with so many looking to chop off their heads.Kudos to those folks.Volunteers with passion,self sacrifice in the cause,pure of motive,thats the best of all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Listlad and Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had a phone call from an HCA telling me they are now booking for flu jabs for September and I am entitled to one. (I already know I am entitled to one) She booked me in for a date of my own convenience and also, at my request, booked my husband in for his at the same time as mine. I call that pro-active service.

As for booking GP appointments on line, this can be difficult because only some of the available appointments are put on line. The rest are withheld for those who ring in and emergencies. The on-line ones are updated once a week, so you have to keep checking and hope you pick up the day they are updated. I have found that weekends are the best time, so maybe they are updated late on a Friday. That is just an assumption.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yesterday I had a phone call from an HCA telling me they are now booking for flu jabs for September and I am entitled to one. (I already know I am entitled to one) She booked me in for a date of my own convenience and also, at my request, booked my husband in for his at the same time as mine. I call that pro-active service.

As for booking GP appointments on line, this can be difficult because only some of the available appointments are put on line. The rest are withheld for those who ring in and emergencies. The on-line ones are updated once a week, so you have to keep checking and hope you pick up the day they are updated. I have found that weekends are the best time, so maybe they are updated late on a Friday. That is just an assumption.

My Practice recently changed tack on appointments. Patients can no longer request an appointment by telephone, one has to go to the surgery in person. I understand that there are exceptions to this rule for those in special circumstances. I know that pts can still request an appt online but surely a lot of older folk may not be online.
I closed my online access, it was useless. I now find that because the government have changed the rules on two of the drugs I take that I have to go to the surgery in person to order a repeat script then after about 48 hours later go in person to pick up the meds. I know I will not be able to do this in winter and I cannot continue to ask family to take time off work to do this for me.
I do not want special treatment, there are those who do not have a support network and will, therefore, slip through the net.

I feel, perhaps wrongly, that the drive to ask Pharmacists or Practice nurses for advice or treatment is the wrong way to go for certain conditions but I understand why this is sometimes necessary. I do worry that when I finally do get to live alone (oh I do hope it is soon!) that I too will fall through the net.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny you should say that - checked this afternoon again and the only one they’ve got is end of Sept when I’m on holiday!!
Yes, right now at our surgery there is very little choice and a longer waiting list than normal.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My husband gets his when he has his regular INR tests - the way it’s going I’ll probably have mine at my next diabetes review!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetes nurse has said (double checked with her) that I can have another HbA1c test in 6 months ( it will be about 5 months from now) She seemed very happy to allow that.

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people
Saw my GP today (he's new to the Island, listlad) who was amazed at my HbA1c reduction (51 to 41in 6 weeks) and asked how I achieved it. LCHF answer caused a raised eyebrow but an interesting conversation followed, with some real world advice from him - he gets it! He was happy to order another test in 3 months to review progress (and test a few other things to try to explain the lethargy I am also struggling with). He dismissed some of the tests and comments the diabetes nurse raised, with a full explanation of why, which I was happy with. A positive report!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
another test in 3 months to review progress (and test a few other things to try to explain the lethargy I am also struggling with).

i had that in the early days @New Haven Neil
probably only picked up early nov 2018 once my new diet started coming on stream (dx was 8th aug 2018)
i was walking and running (some) but the lack of focus and lethargy would strike at will it seemed

Did seem to improve once Greek yogurt became a more standard part of my morning regime
remember being late one morning , finished off a bowl of GY and Blueberries, then left for work

thought i'd gently jog for train (12-15 mins away) hoping to get the 6 34 am
ended up running all the way (amazed :wideyed::woot::D )
and made the 6;24am...whoo hooo.

(I tell that one often...not bad for 60, and hadn't walked too far or run in years...:rolleyes: )

I can't prove it was the Yogurt while it seemed and felt to be the difference,
may just have been the toxins etc flooding out got me back to a manageable state

But i'd say it's worth a go.
especially if your still struggling.

Btw great result HBA1C wise and DOCTOR..Brilliant result all round..:D

Reactions: New Haven Neil

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Interesting....but there lies my issue in trying this - I just HAAATE yogurt! It's OK used for raita with a curry....but I can't eat the stuff, just too....yeuch. Mrs NHN eats loads of it, and I have tried….but I have a sweet tooth, (obviously this has been my downfall) and while I like citrus flavours, I dislike bitter fruits and yogurt. Diabetes for me has meant I basically cannot eat anything I like, and have to eat things I don't like. I am trying really hard....but.....yogurt...no!

I can't run (google 'Lisfranc fracture' or 'worst possible foot problem' for my nightmare last year) ever again or I may lose my left foot, not just diabetes causes these issues!

I'd post an image but would probably get banned.

The news today was good though, yes! I needed some good news, it has been an awful couple of years as Mrs NHN also had a big motor accident.

Reactions: 1spuds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw my GP today (he's new to the Island, listlad) who was amazed at my HbA1c reduction (51 to 41in 6 weeks) and asked how I achieved it. LCHF answer caused a raised eyebrow but an interesting conversation followed, with some real world advice from him - he gets it! He was happy to order another test in 3 months to review progress (and test a few other things to try to explain the lethargy I am also struggling with). He dismissed some of the tests and comments the diabetes nurse raised, with a full explanation of why, which I was happy with. A positive report!
Lethargy. Losing some weight helps. I have found that as I don’t feel so fat bound now, also I feel more energetic.

Has your doc prescribed any meds for the thyroid? I take one a day on prescription and it helps address lethargy.

Reactions: New Haven Neil

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes for me has meant I basically cannot eat anything I like
or is this "I can't eat anything I know"? Talking to a friend recently I was saying the LCHF wasn't too hard except I had to retrain all my eating/food prep skills! I'm old, I know what I like to eat when I'm tired, grumpy, lazy, hungry etc (the whole seven dwarves). I have meals that are no thinking, meals that are no prep, no shopping, no "cooking", savoury right, tangy right etc, etc. I know what works for me. Now I have to retrain myself, unlearn stuff, learn new stuff. I don't crave carbs but I know "healthy" carb meal options. Suddenly I'm a novice again.

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have lost over a stone in the last 6 weeks, and continue to lose weight (now 13 st, target is 12. I'm over 5'10'' and 60) and thyroid function checked out OK kidneys, liver all good to excellent. I am on BP meds but they don't tie in with when the lethargy started. PSA test done waiting result, don't need that to be poor!

Reactions: Listlad and 1spuds

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
or is this "I can't eat anything I know"? Talking to a friend recently I was saying the LCHF wasn't too hard except I had to retrain all my eating/food prep skills! I'm old, I know what I like to eat when I'm tired, grumpy, lazy, hungry etc (the whole seven dwarves). I have meals that are no thinking, meals that are no prep, no shopping, no "cooking", savoury right, tangy right etc, etc. I know what works for me. Now I have to retrain myself, unlearn stuff, learn new stuff. I don't crave carbs but I know "healthy" carb meal options. Suddenly I'm a novice again.

I'd say not, it's more 'I have to eat what my wife likes' !! LOL Married 35 years and just had to finally give in to that!