New blog as I learn to live with T1 diagnosis

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have booked marked your Blog it is good.

As for pizza, (also known as the "devils food" round these parts) it is tricky to inject for because you have, carbs and fats which changes the rate of absorption.

Use the Search at the top there there was a thread started by @porl69 about how to bolus for "Pizza, pasta and other things" cant remember what its called also see if you can find the "T1 Food" you may or may not pick some ideas about bolusing for all sorts of foods :)

Tanke care.

Thanks Knikki.

At the moment I am on fixed doses of Insulin. My DSN said I won't be carb counting until I'm out of my honeymoon period. I'm finding it difficult on fixed doses as I'm either hypo'ing or way too high! I will check it out though, I want to get as ready as I can for carb counting and bolusing.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Great blog. I've just signed up. I'm new to this insulin malarkey too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIGERLILY1991

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Knikki.

At the moment I am on fixed doses of Insulin. My DSN said I won't be carb counting until I'm out of my honeymoon period. I'm finding it difficult on fixed doses as I'm either hypo'ing or way too high! I will check it out though, I want to get as ready as I can for carb counting and bolusing.

As someone who started carb counting 24 hours after diagnosis, I fail to understand the thought processes here. I too had a honeymoon period which went on for about 3 years. But I became as balanced as I could be and ate pretty much what I wanted. It wasn’t an issue and quite frankly was well within any bodies capabilities.
If you remain in honeymoon for a long period of time it’s going to be a right drag.

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great blog. I've just signed up. I'm new to this insulin malarkey too.
As someone who started carb counting 24 hours after diagnosis, I fail to understand the thought processes here. I too had a honeymoon period which went on for about 3 years. But I became as balanced as I could be and ate pretty much what I wanted. It wasn’t an issue and quite frankly was well within any bodies capabilities.
If you remain in honeymoon for a long period of time it’s going to be a right drag.

When I asked the DSN about it, she said about the honeymoon period and just said there was no point. This was only over email, so when I see them face to face on 23rd August I'll ask again. I almost feel like I'm eating more than I want to be to prevent hypos at the moment which seems illogical to me x

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Once I'd proved to my DSN and the dietician I knew what carbs were and could count, I was off fixed doses within a month! It certainly felt to me as if I were "feeding" the insulin once my blood sugars had stabilised. Which took about a month, anyway.

We think I'm having occasional moments of my pancreas spluttering into life, 16 months on from starting insulin, (LADA diagnosis) and 4 years from initial mis-diagnosis (T2). But, it's certainly much less frequent than it was from when I was first started on insulin.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blog checked out! I like it!

LADA - another acronym for you, Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adulthood. It's a very slow onset T1 mostly in older adults - I was 50 when it started, and easily mis-diagnosed, especially if you present initially as the classic clinically obese middle-aged soul who looks totally inactive and as if they don't watch what they eat.... luckily I landed with a GP who knew about LADA at the critical point before I landed in A & E with DKA, which was probably less than a week away.

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blog checked out! I like it!

LADA - another acronym for you, Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adulthood. It's a very slow onset T1 mostly in older adults - I was 50 when it started, and easily mis-diagnosed, especially if you present initially as the classic clinically obese middle-aged soul who looks totally inactive and as if they don't watch what they eat.... luckily I landed with a GP who knew about LADA at the critical point before I landed in A & E with DKA, which was probably less than a week away.

Thanks for both comments! I am definitely thinking of trying to convince them to let me try carb counting

Also thanks for the acronym, I'll get it added to the list x

Reactions: Japes

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still in my honeymoon 2 years post diagnosis. Carb counting is hit and miss (some days I barely need any fast acting) but I'd hate to be on fixed doses. Off to read your blog

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @TIGERLILY1991 , fixed doses are fairly standard with newly dx'd as it reduces the amount of variables involved and makes it easier for the docs to figure out ratios.

It won't last forever, so I'd recommend going with the flow for now - there'll be plenty of time for figuring out your own techniques once they let you off the reins, although I do agree with the other posters that this should really only be a few weeks or a month or two.

Another acronym to get familiar with is CGM, continuous glucose monitoring. A small device gets stuck on your arm or stomach and sends bg readings to your phone every 5 mins, so you can track how bg is moving. It makes managing bg levels several hundred percent easier when you can actually see how those levels are moving.

One thing to be aware of is that there are dozens of variables involved, which is why x units of insulin for y grams of carbs won't necessarily work out the same way two days running.

That can lead to newly dx'd becoming hugely frustrated - they're playing by the rules, but T1 isn't.

There are no quick and easy answers to this. Sometimes T1 is just plain unpredictable. With time, though, and cgm, you'll figure out plenty of techniques to even out the randomness.

Stephen Ponder's book, Sugar Surfing, is a good read on both using cgm well and psychologically accepting that we are dealing with a moving situation.

Unlike other conditions, which basically involve taking a pill or two each day, T1 involves active management where the patient makes the decision. Ponder's book is good at getting the point across that we can actively steer and influence the direction of our bg.

I've found it helps to not think of T1 as a threat or enemy. I think of it more as a small child which needs to be looked after - sometimes T1 behaves, sometimes it doesn't, but whatever it's doing, you're always going to look after it.

Good luck!

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @TIGERLILY1991 , fixed doses are fairly standard with newly dx'd as it reduces the amount of variables involved and makes it easier for the docs to figure out ratios.

It won't last forever, so I'd recommend going with the flow for now - there'll be plenty of time for figuring out your own techniques once they let you off the reins, although I do agree with the other posters that this should really only be a few weeks or a month or two.

Another acronym to get familiar with is CGM, continuous glucose monitoring. A small device gets stuck on your arm or stomach and sends bg readings to your phone every 5 mins, so you can track how bg is moving. It makes managing bg levels several hundred percent easier when you can actually see how those levels are moving.

One thing to be aware of is that there are dozens of variables involved, which is why x units of insulin for y grams of carbs won't necessarily work out the same way two days running.

That can lead to newly dx'd becoming hugely frustrated - they're playing by the rules, but T1 isn't.

There are no quick and easy answers to this. Sometimes T1 is just plain unpredictable. With time, though, and cgm, you'll figure out plenty of techniques to even out the randomness.

Stephen Ponder's book, Sugar Surfing, is a good read on both using cgm well and psychologically accepting that we are dealing with a moving situation.

Unlike other conditions, which basically involve taking a pill or two each day, T1 involves active management where the patient makes the decision. Ponder's book is good at getting the point across that we can actively steer and influence the direction of our bg.

I've found it helps to not think of T1 as a threat or enemy. I think of it more as a small child which needs to be looked after - sometimes T1 behaves, sometimes it doesn't, but whatever it's doing, you're always going to look after it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information Scott-C - I hate not really being in control so just finding it frustrating. I was thinking about looking at a CGM as I'm a Prison Officer and will have lots of variables for my glucose, like adrenaline for one! I will also check out the book x

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the information Scott-C - I hate not really being in control so just finding it frustrating. I was thinking about looking at a CGM as I'm a Prison Officer and will have lots of variables for my glucose, like adrenaline for one! I will also check out the book x

William Lee Dubois, Beyond Fingersticks... is worth a look too. It's on kindle, as is Sugar Surfing.

It's about 10 yrs old so is out of date on current tech but gives some still relevant solid advice and basic principles on what you can and cannot expect from cgm.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi and wishing you good luck with your blog.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just sat and read all the blog. Loved it, brought back lots of memories. Google is amazing at helping you to not see the obvious lol!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! Nice blog! First call your diabetic team for an adjustment in dosing if you are dropping too much.
I started out with a background of slow acting and then fast acting was added. But I immediately started carb counting with fast acting. LADA/type 1 can last 8 years plus in an adult, weeks in a child. It's erratic to figure out dosing when you are in your honeymoon phase because sometimes you still make insulin and sometimes you don't. So you are safer trending to a higher set of numbers than later when you can have more control.

There is a huge difference of insulin needed with 120 carbs (pizza easily) and a 16 carb meal. You adjust for that by carb counting and dosing accordingly. It's just my opinion but you will have to learn eventually as a type 1 to carb count so I would start reading about it and start asking about being sent to a course for it.

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Nice blog! First call your diabetic team for an adjustment in dosing if you are dropping too much.
I started out with a background of slow acting and then fast acting was added. But I immediately started carb counting with fast acting. LADA/type 1 can last 8 years plus in an adult, weeks in a child. It's erratic to figure out dosing when you are in your honeymoon phase because sometimes you still make insulin and sometimes you don't. So you are safer trending to a higher set of numbers than later when you can have more control.

There is a huge difference of insulin needed with 120 carbs (pizza easily) and a 16 carb meal. You adjust for that by carb counting and dosing accordingly. It's just my opinion but you will have to learn eventually as a type 1 to carb count so I would start reading about it and start asking about being sent to a course for it.

Thank you Marie 2. You have helped explain some of my frustration - sometimes I can eat a fair amount of carbs and have a small dose of insulin and then drop into a hypo. Other times I have not so many carbs with a slightly higher dose and I'm on 14+mmol/l. As you say, probably my body inconsistently producing insulin!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Be sure to take a quick sugar snack with you whenever you leave the house. It also helps to have it by your bedside for easy reach in the middle of the night.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Be sure to take a quick sugar snack with you whenever you leave the house. It also helps to have it by your bedside for easy reach in the middle of the night.
Definitely! Keep dextrose tablets EVERYWHERE! They’re not nice enough that you over eat them and end up with a massive post-hypo spike.