Type 1 and anemia

CassieSmith

I was wondering if black strap molasses would be okay to eat? Bit of a conundrum as I know it is filled with refined sugar but also has a lot of iron it it which anemic people use

Reactions: Becca6510

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was wondering if black strap molasses would be okay to eat? Bit of a conundrum as I know it is filled with refined sugar but also has a lot of iron it it which anemic people use

Personally I wouldn't touch this, high carbs and would send my blood glucose levels through the roof. Have you had a diagnosis for Anaemia and been given any medication ?

CassieSmith

Personally I wouldn't touch this, high carbs and would send my blood glucose levels through the roof. Have you had a diagnosis for Anaemia and been given any medication ?
@Juicyj Yes I have a diagnosis. I was diagnosed a few years back but stopped taking them (iron tablets) after I got better. My levels have dipped again though so want to bring it up.. I was thinking of maybe just taking one teaspoon a day for a boost..

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@CassieSmith are you vegan or veggie? Because generally that is when black strap is used, otherwise eggs and meat help.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Also spatone is an excellent way of boosting iron levels without causing issues with digestion. A much more gentle method.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Has your doctor suggested any reasons for your anaemia? (Males, stop reading now).

I spent years (decades?) being anaemic because of heavy periods, hormone treatment (mirena IUD) for that solved all my issues....

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
If it’s a problem why not ask for full blood test and a repeat of the medication that solved it in the past? Molasses could lead to real difficulties controlling blood sugars. Iron’s found in a number of foods but the highest concentrations seem to be in red meat and liver. This is a problem if you’re vegan or vegetarian.

CassieSmith

@EllieM yes I have heavy periods that is why I'm sure! I also got my Vitamin b12 results back and they are low but still in "normal" range so probably why I'm also tired! Just bought some supplements to help me

@Fairygodmother yes might do that! I just bought some iron tablets offline might do the trick! Luckily I'm not vegan or vegetarian

Reactions: Fairygodmother