Breakfast ideas

JeanCL

I use everyday ordinary porridge oats. Usually the supermarket value range. I use natural yogurt and the frozen berries let all the lovely juices go as they defrost.
There are masses of different versions to try.

I find Jumbo oats from healthfood shop cooked as porage in microwave, having been soaked in water overnight with a dessertspoon of Goji Berries, served with lashings of full fat yoghourt, and a small not too ripe banana doesn't spike my BG too much at 2 hours and keeps me full for several hours. I'm a slim prediabetic and striving to stay that way (pre, that is!). Good luck!

Khushi Nagpal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about a bowl of fruits for breakfast? Like cherries, pears, oranges or some strawberries. Fruits that have a low glycemic index/load.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about a bowl of fruits for breakfast? Like cherries, pears, oranges or some strawberries. Fruits that have a low glycemic index/load.
For a T2 pretty awful.. both for the amount of sugar in the fruit and the fructose going directly to the liver for management which can give rise to NAFLD

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I’m after some breakfast ideas, I’m getting fed up of wheatabix does anyone know of over night oats are any good?? I’m type 2

Thank you

I usually make myself a two egg omelette with either sliced mushroom or blueberries scattered over the top before I turn it. Sometimes I will mash a ripe banana and beat it into the eggs and make a banana pancake. I have that with half a pink grapefruit and a mug of tea. If I don’t have that I have a boiled egg. I don’t eat toast or anything grain based because it spikes my blood sugar. Sometimes on a Sunday my husband will make me bacon and egg.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Be a bit careful with "fruit" as some are pretty high in carbs. As a general rule berries are much lower, though blueberries are a bit high. If I'm cooking apples to add to yoghurt or porridge I mix in about 50% berries to reduce the overall carbs.
This chart should give an idea as to the relative likely impact of various berries and fruits.

Carbs in fruits.jpg

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for chia seed pudding. The mix-ins are almost limitless. My favorite is peanut butter and blueberries ( sounds weird, I know) or pumpkin purée, spices and pecans.

Reactions: mojo37

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually make myself a two egg omelette with either sliced mushroom or blueberries scattered over the top before I turn it. Sometimes I will mash a ripe banana and beat it into the eggs and make a banana pancake. I have that with half a pink grapefruit and a mug of tea. If I don’t have that I have a boiled egg. I don’t eat toast or anything grain based because it spikes my blood sugar. Sometimes on a Sunday my husband will make me bacon and egg.
The banana and the grapefruit will give u about 40 carbs which would spike me these days. Though when I was first diagnosed 5yrs ago I could tolerate that amount in one meal now sadly I can't .

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for chia seed pudding. The mix-ins are almost limitless. My favorite is peanut butter and blueberries ( sounds weird, I know) or pumpkin purée, spices and pecans.
I bought some chia seeds yesterday and going to try them ..sounds really nice . It is really a trial and error situation .

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some chia seeds yesterday and going to try them ..sounds really nice . It is really a trial and error situation .

Yes, play with the seed to milk (or cream) ratio because the texture changes. I personally like more. The basic recipe i like is 1/4 cup seeds per 1 cup liquid. Whisk, let sit for 30 minutes or so in the fridge, whisk again. Let sit overnight, but it will keep for 4-5 days as well.

I use a US brand that is an almond milk/coconut milk blend that is only 1 carb per cup, but you can use basically any milk or cream variety.

Put in the mix-ins right before you eat it. Hope you like it.

My favorite dessert version: high quality cocoa powder, chopped walnuts, and whipped cream.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, play with the seed to milk (or cream) ratio because the texture changes. I personally like more. The basic recipe i like is 1/4 cup seeds per 1 cup liquid. Whisk, let sit for 30 minutes or so in the fridge, whisk again. Let sit overnight, but it will keep for 4-5 days as well.

I use a US brand that is an almond milk/coconut milk blend that is only 1 carb per cup, but you can use basically any milk or cream variety.

Put in the mix-ins right before you eat it. Hope you like it.

My favorite dessert version: high quality cocoa powder, chopped walnuts, and whipped cream.
Sounds lovely :) and thanks

Bea32

Hi, yeah wheatabix don’t effect my Bg so much I maybe go up by 1mol, I do like bacon and eggs, but I work early mornings so generally eat breakfast at work hence why I eat wheatabix, as we don’t have the means to cook in our canteen, I try to follow a low carb diet, eat a lot of salads and chicken, try to stay away from potatoes and pasta, slowly getting bored with it, but I keep going as I know I have to lol
Maybe look at a KETO diet book. Lots of low carb options. You can always make egg muffins with sausage, veggies and keep them in freezer. Just pop a couple in microwave before you head out for the day.