Fast weight loss but blood glucose static.....

VMK

After T2 diagnosis in March, I have been trying to manage blood glucose by diet only. I have reduced carbs to less than 50g per day. I am losing weight and am now only 120 lbs (started off at 140) even though I don’t want to lose weight! The thing is though that my BG will not go below 9.6 until at least 3 hours after evening meal. I am due a check soon with my diabetic nurse. Should I ask for another HbA1c ? I’m not sure where this thing is taking me and am a bit down this week......

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry you feel sad when you're working really hard and trying the diet only approach and with success. Weight loss is common when you reduce carbs, so you need to increase healthy fats like avocados, nuts, cheese, cream etc for balance and if you want to stop losing weight. The readings you are getting are still pre-diabetic rather than diabetic, a success on diet only, which should give you some encouragement. Keep going. Managing blood sugars a journey that involves patience, time and a lot of testing meals to see who many carbs you personally can tolerate so that your blood sugars are below 7.8 two hours after eating, which would make you normal if that's your goal set between you and your GP.
I will tag @daisy1 her info sheet.

Last edited:
Reactions: VMK

VMK

I'm sorry you feel sad when you're working really hard and trying the diet only approach and with success. Weight loss is common when you reduce carbs, so you need to increase healthy fats like avocados, nuts, cheese, cream etc for balance and if you want to stop losing weight. The readings you are getting are still pre-diabetic rather than diabetic, a success on diet only, which should give you some encouragement. Keep going. Managing blood sugars a journey that involves patience, time and a lot of testing meals to see who many carbs you personally can tolerate so that your blood sugars are below 7.8 two hours after eating, which would make you normal if that's your goal set between you and your GP.
I will tag @daisy1 her info sheet.

Thank you so much! This forum is great. You’ve made me feel much better. The thing is when you’re skinny and not eating certain foods, some people are not very sympathetic...

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
After T2 diagnosis in March, I have been trying to manage blood glucose by diet only. I have reduced carbs to less than 50g per day. I am losing weight and am now only 120 lbs (started off at 140) even though I don’t want to lose weight! The thing is though that my BG will not go below 9.6 until at least 3 hours after evening meal. I am due a check soon with my diabetic nurse. Should I ask for another HbA1c ? I’m not sure where this thing is taking me and am a bit down this week......
Hi VMK,
When you say you are trying to manage your BG by diet alone, What is it that you are eating?
Is there a big difference in the quantity and GI index of the carbs in your evening meal to that of your Breakfast and Lunch?
What are your pre- Breakfast, 2hrs post Breakfast and pre and post Lunch BG figures, typically?

If Breakfast and Lunch don't cause a prolonged BG spike, then there must be something different about you dinner!

VMK

Thank you. I buy my own testing supplies so only test after evening meal. Other meals are no carb so don’t test then. Evening meal varies but there is no consistency with what causes me to spike. One day I can tolerate a couple of small new potatoes, but a few days later, the same will send me right up! Thanks for the advice and I’ll try to be more aware of what I’m eating.....

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One day I can tolerate a couple of small new potatoes, but a few days later, the same will send me right up!
Hi VKM this may help, the order n which we eat food can effect how blood glucose.
If you eat a meal with the carbs like potatoes last, it should lessen the amount it raises your bg. :bookworm:

But the simplest solution is not to eat the potatoes, there are just some food you can not tolerate potatoes are one of them, for most of us. I think you would be hard pushed to find many people on here who still eat them.
:bag:

ShortStuff

Definitely request another HbA1c before your next appointment

Also, tread through the other threads about reviews and the Diabetic Nurses usual response to managing through diet so you are prepared for it.

But if you are going to manage it through diet (many of us do) then if st all possible you need to buy more strips so you can test after all food so you know what’s what.

You need to test before meals so you know how much that food is putting you up by though otherwise you’ll be ruling out food that hasn’t put you up by much at all. Getting different ‘after’ results from the same food could be normal for you OR it could simply be that your starting off higher one day than previously but the increase is the same.

Also the other food in the meal will significantly impact your BG. Having them with a steak & plenty of butter will give a very different reading to having them with peas, & carrots for example

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the need to test more often if at all possible. Part of it for me is that my general stress levels or exercise also effect my levels. That means your levels before the meals may not be the same so the levels after the meals are not giving the full story. The thing is is you test rigorously for a few meals/weeks you will know that you have some safe meals that won't require testing. so then you won't have to test so much.

Good luck!

VMK

Thank you. I think I have been (unrealistically) hoping that somehow my insulin problem may correct itself. I need to keep going back to basics.......

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Are they solely meat?
Otherwise I'd question they are really "no carb"
Perhaps you are being too sceptical, though I have seen some people in here claim that Sainsbury's Chilli Con Carne has no carbs - obviously that can says otherwise!
But Fish, Eggs and all the hard Cheese I have checked contains next to no carbs i.e. less than 1gm per 100gms.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
In fact I plan to rely on eggs, cheese, tree nuts and olive Oil for the Dave Feldman Protocol I intend to do to skew my upcoming Lipid test so that I don't get nagged by the GP. I expect without doing that my LDL will be higher due to halving the Statin dose and still being in 'weight loss mode' on the LCHF. - Yes I know that LDL figures are mostly meaningless, but try telling that to the average GP.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest avoiding the potatoes and the Ryvita crispbreads, as I find some foods, even in small amounts produce a reaction above what might be expected. Use the carbs you can eat for bulky low carb things such as salads or stirfries and the results might at least be more consistent.
Higher LDL does have an effect for older people - they tend to go on getting older.

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meat and green vegetables are safe. Everything else you need to look up. For me my blood sugar builds. If its high at breakfast I cant/do not eat carbs at lunch. So it may be that single potato can affect you for the whole day, especially if your blood sugar does not come down before eating again.

VMK

Meat and green vegetables are safe. Everything else you need to look up. For me my blood sugar builds. If its high at breakfast I cant/do not eat carbs at lunch. So it may be that single potato can affect you for the whole day, especially if your blood sugar does not come down before eating again.

Thank you. It’s a rollercoaster ride isn’t it?

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bacon, fish, eggs, cheese and sometimes 1 Ryvita (9g).....
Hi, you might prefer the Quinoa Ryvita. 5.3 per slice. It is the pricier one but is always seems on special offer somewhere.